Oil Temp or Oil Pressure Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of adding some gauges in my SRT-4, including a wideband O2 and scan gauge. I can add an oil temp or pressure sender to the scan gauge, but I am not sure which is a better choice.

So, if you could have 1 gauge, oil temp or oil pressure, which would you choose and why?

oil pressure, because it is more important, and oil temp usually stays pretty under control. I would assume an SRT4 has an oil cooler also since it is turbo charged.

Originally Posted By: Jdblya
oil pressure, because it is more important, and oil temp usually stays pretty under control. I would assume an SRT4 has an oil cooler also since it is turbo charged.

thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

I would tend to lean toward oil temp, myself. I don't think anyone here worries about any pressure other than no pressure.

I agree with Allen.

If I was to add a gauge to either E430 or S2000, I would add oil temperature gauge. I would like to know what is my oil temp when I pass Death Valley in summer and in winter on the way to Vegas.

Also, I want to know the oil temp while on highway at steady 70-75 MPH versus stop and go traffic, so that I would be able to choose the oil weight for my driving conditions.

Both important.I would prefer oil temp over pressure.Because you already have an indicator for oil pressure.100% calibrated for the engine by OEM.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
How difficult is it to install temp/pressure gauge?

The temp gauge sender is more critical to being close to the flow point. If the tap is right at a gallery, you're in luck. If they drilled too long a passage to the gallery, you're going to have muted readings. A pan/sump temp shouldn't be too hard.

If you're of the metric persuasion, GReddy has a variety of hollow drain plugs with 1/8" NPT threads. This should give you a decent idea of bulk oil temps. There don't seem to be any boldly apparent offerings in standard threads.

Greddy-oil-pan-bolt-sensor-adapter.jpg

On force induction vehicles, my personal preference is:

1. Boost/Vac Gauge
2. EGT or wideband 02
3. Oil Pressure

These three are paramount to engine protection. Oil temp, volts, and others fall under the "nice to have" category, but not necessary.

I think it's a safe assumption oil pressure will always be ok. Oil temp would be more "fun". Though on my GN, oil pressure directly followed oil temp. I could literally guess the oil temp within 5 degrees based on idle oil pressure.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
Originally Posted By: shanneba
Spa Technique makes a dual digital gauge, oil temp and pressure.
http://www.spatechnique.com/product_pages/page.cfm?cat=2

That appears to be a really nice gauge. Just a bit pricey, though. ($306.00)

Cheap gauges usually aren't good, and good gauges usually are not cheap.
The Defi's I have are the best I have ever used, but where not close to cheap.

I have both on my SRT4. Unless you take you Neon on the road course, I dont see the need for the temp gauge. With the stock oil/coolant heat exchanger, I rarely see higher than 210* during daily driving. When I do see 210-215*, it was 100 degrees outside and I was using the A/C.

I do track my car every now and then, and often see 270-280* while on track. The highest I had ever seen was 290*, and that was during a 30 minute session while it was 102* outside at Portland Internation Raceway during last August.

Edit: my oil pressure sendor is installed into the head, and the temp sensor is mounted in the oil pan between the oil pump and the oil filter

edit #2: normal oil temp during freeway cruising is 195*, the opening range of the T-stat

turbo is also coolant cooled, unless there is an aftermarket turbo installed

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hooligan24
I have both on my SRT4. Unless you take you Neon on the road course, I dont see the need for the temp gauge. With the stock oil/coolant heat exchanger, I rarely see higher than 210* during daily driving. When I do see 210-215*, it was 100 degrees outside and I was using the A/C.

I do track my car every now and then, and often see 270-280* while on track. The highest I had ever seen was 290*, and that was during a 30 minute session while it was 102* outside at Portland Internation Raceway during last August.

Edit: my oil pressure sendor is installed into the head, and the temp sensor is mounted in the oil pan between the oil pump and the oil filter

edit #2: normal oil temp during freeway cruising is 195*, the opening range of the T-stat

turbo is also coolant cooled, unless there is an aftermarket turbo installed

I think the 290 degree temps you mention are reason enough to have the guage.

Taking the car on the roadcourse is the reason I installed the gauge. I know alot of guys that track their cars without pressure or temp gauges
21.gif
, and not even care what oil is in the sump. I am a little to worried about it that I swap in Redline oil and tranny fluids for track days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back