Oil suggestions for Audi S4 with 3.0TFSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time posting. Just picked up a used 2013 audi S4 with the 3.0TFSI engine and wanted suggestions on oil.

1. 2013 Audi S4 3.0 TFSI with DSG tranmission
2. VW 502 factory 10k change interval. I am going to get samples tested to determine change interval of whatever I end up running.
3. Maryland
4. Generally pretty easy on the highway with some spirited driving on back roads
5. Daily commute is around 45 miles each way, mostly highway with some back roads if I take the longer way.
6. No known issues, but concerned about carbon buildup on the intake just because it's a direct injection vag engine
7. No current modifications and don't really plan on doing anything to it.

My yearly mileage is going to be around 20k miles, so oil changes will be based on mileage. I change my own oil so cost of oil is all I'm paying for, I don't need extremely long drain intervals even with the mileage I put on. I have been looking at the regulars, mobil 1 0w40, liqui moly synthoil, pento high performance II, and Motal specific and 8100 X-cess. All these are in the $30-$40 per 5l range with the liqui moly being the cheapest at $31. Cost isn't a huge concern if there is value in spending more. Feel free to suggest other options then I listed. Thanks!

Last edited:
That's easy, Mobil 1 0w40.....probably best oil they make. I run it in my RS7, and S63...I change the oil twice a year...

Don't know about your 3 liter, the RS7 seems to be pretty tough on oil...it's definet a fuel diluting monster

Last edited:
I would pick the liqui moly from that list. What about Valvoline and Castrol in 5w-40? It might be a little pricier but it meets what VW wants.

Also, make sure you are doing transmission fluid changes every 40k! Thats a pricey trans to [censored] up.

Redline stands upto fuel dilution and mechanical shear better than other oils, might be a contender for your engine which is known to be hard on oil..

Thanks for the replies. My concern with redline is that it doesn't meet the vw specs and it's pretty pricey at around $10 per quart. Is it worth the premium over the other brands?

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
I would pick the liqui moly from that list. What about Valvoline and Castrol in 5w-40? It might be a little pricier but it meets what VW wants.

Also, make sure you are doing transmission fluid changes every 40k! Thats a pricey trans to [censored] up.

The castrol is the factory/dealership fill and is 502 approved, but the other I listed are also 502 approved. The pento and the motul specific are also 505 approved. Not sure the difference between those two vw designations.

Transmission is getting done every 40k along with the rear differential, using redline 75w90.

I am not sure about the front differential/central differential, gearbox oil. These 7 speed dsg gearboxes have two oil circuits, one uses ATF for the mechatronic unit and has the factory recommended 40k interval. The other oil circuit does the front/center diffs, and the mechanical gearbox, which they state is lifetime but I have no intention of leaving it in there. Probably go with the factory stuff for that change.

Last edited:
All the oils you mentioned will do more than an adequate job at protecting your engine. I have the same engine in an A6 and I've used nothing but Royal Purple HPS 5w30 with the exception of this fill which is Redline 0w40. The 3.0 engine can be noisy and I find these two oils to run the smoothest in that engine. I'm not worried about warranty. Car is tuned to 500 hp's and engine warranty was voided long time ago.

As for the transmission and diff/transfer case oil they are bulletproof. Seen plenty go over 250,000 miles and counting on original fluids and still going strong without issues. If it makes you sleep better at night go ahead and change it. Just my 0.002!

Originally Posted By: deven

As for the transmission and diff/transfer case oil they are bulletproof. Seen plenty go over 250,000 miles and counting on original fluids and still going strong without issues. If it makes you sleep better at night go ahead and change it. Just my 0.002!

I appreciate the response, it's nice to know that type of mileage can be put on the lifetime front/center diff and gear oil. I was thinking of doing this at 40k, but will hold off for now as it seems I have some time.

M1 and Castrol 0w40 are easy to find, aren't too expensive, and carry the VW 502 specification. The thing that can make an oil change on some Audi variants is the price of the filter. The best ways to save money are to wait for the "Buy 5 quarts or more and a filter" sale at Autozone or Oreilly's, or go to an online store for VW enthusiasts where you can get oil, filter, and a new drain plug washer at one low price that is correct for your car. Typically when you buy from a VW enthusiast online store, they sell Pentosin, Ravenol, Motul, or some other brand that is more popular in Europe than in the USA. According to experiences in the "European car oil" subforum, Pentosin isn't ideal because cars consume it more quickly than most of the other VW 502 oils.

According to VW, DSG transmission fluid has to be changed every 40,000 miles. Blauparts sells a kit that includes the filling tool, the correct amount of fluid(made by Ravenol), a filter, and other needs at a good price. I have done business with them, and they are a great company. Also, Ravenol works as a perfect substitute for OEM fluid in my Mitsubishi.

Castrol 0W40 or M1 0W40.
My vote goes to Castrol 0W40 as it has bit higher HTHS then M1 (3.7cp compare to 3.6cp) and it is "true" synthetic (PAO based). M1 0W40 FS lost LL-01 approval which is very confusing as what is going on with new FS formula.
Cut your OCI to 5K or 7.5K. That engine is tough on oil and had issues with oil rings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back