Oil Recommendations for Dodge Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit silly, but most new oil is golden, and now some is platinum, is unobtanium the color on the drawing board, since soon there will be titanium color? flavor? scent? stuff avialable. Now something slightly useful as I look up page there is HTHS= high temp high shear, a test/rating of oil in bearing like conditions. Cst is centistokes, the measure of liquid viscosity. ZDDP, is a zinc compound additive used for antiwear properties. Hope that helps.

Originally Posted By: jldcol
ZDDP, is a zinc compound additive used for antiwear properties.

Zinc Diethyl(diddle-de-doo-da) Phosphate (I can't spell/say it either)
grin2.gif

Thanks everyone, this is a great forum to learn about oil. I guess I am off to the auto parts store to buy oil and a filter. I guess I will decide when I get there. Either Mobile 1, Valvoline, or Pennzoil non-syn oil. I think I will go with a Wix filter. I had read good things about Wix even before I joined this forum. Wes

You said not want to use syn, just dino so maybe Mobile 1 is dino, but Mobil 1 is some kind of syn, usually. Sorry, not a spelling freak, but that narrows it to 2 oils, go with better priced one.

Your right JLDCOL. Mobile 1 is a full syn. I was thinking of using regular Mobil oil (if they make it) when I put Mobile 1. I use Mobile 1 in my wife's 2007 Camry XLE and it has done great so far.

Drive clean is dino I think, for the 5 k version, the 7500 is a blend I think. This is Mobil stuff.

hello,

for what its worth, i had a 72 power wagon with a 360 i ran either luberfiner napa gold or wix filters, just depended on where i was when it was time to change oil.
My bro has a 2000 ram with a 360 he just clicked over 120000 miles. we run wix filter or napa gold depending on cash in pocket. in both trucks, mobil 1 was oil of choice. but in my dads 2008 ram with the hemi i run mobil 5000 or valvoline.

Originally Posted By: Oil_Me
I have done searches and read for info and I would now like to ask for some help. I have a 2000 Dodge Quad Cab, with a 360 engine. I have been having my oil changed at the Dodge dealership and they use Mopar oil and I don't have any idea who makes it. I want to start changing the oil myself and I would like some recommendations for quality oils and oil filters. I have 65,000 miles on my truck. I change the oil 3K to 5K. Thanks everyone for the help, I am new and I know you get asked this by every noobie. Wes

I had a couple Ram 1500's with the 360( 1997 & 2001 ). Take proper care of them as you have been doing and that motor will outlast the truck.

I always ran synthetic in them but if you want to run conventional then I would suggest a High Mileage oil based on the age and mileage. Either a 10W-30 or a 5W-30. Maybe the 10W in the summer and the 5W in the winter.

I would recommend Valvoline Max-Life blend vs the full synthetic version just because you seem not to be interested in a full synthetic. My 2nd choice would be Castrol GTX High Mileage. The Valvoline however seems to really be heads and shoulders above the competition in the High Mileage oils however.

If you don't want to run a HM oil then Penzoil, Quaker State, or Castrol GTX regular conventional oils are good choices. Another really good oil is Kendall if it is available locally to you. They have regular and High MIleage formulas to choose from.

For filters based on your OC and such I would just recommend a regular decent quality filter. You can get really good filters at most any parts store and Wal-Mart for $4-$6 each. Heck, Wal-Mart has Mopar filters for dirt cheap. Any of them would be a good choice. Wix/Napa, Bosch, Baldwin, Hastings, Purolator, etc... IMO just avoid Fram and filters that are relabeled Fram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back