Oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HAWG4LIFE
Ive been using Amsoil in my 2011 Kia Soul since new.

M1, and 15,000 miles/6mo at your milage

+1
Originally Posted By: Swift101
You're getting a great price for Amsoil, you might want to consider QSUD, Kia/Hyundai recommend it. It meets all manufacture specs and from what I remember costs around 21 bucks at Walmart. I'll be using it once my PU stash runs dry.

Quote:
Yeah, I pay $53.00 a case for the OE version of Amsoil.

that's the same price anyone who pays the $20 a year discount gets. Do you get it shipped to your house or are you picking it up at a distribution point? If to your house then you're paying shipping and sales tax which for me makes it $69.85 to the door.

Does the 2011 Kia Soul have a OEM 10k recommended OCI or a OLM? If not, then the OE oil should not be used that long, unless you're conducting UOAs? I believe the Soul has a max of 7500 mile OCI???

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rossn2
Quote:
Yeah, I pay $53.00 a case for the OE version of Amsoil.

that's the same price anyone who pays the $20 a year discount gets. Do you get it shipped to your house or are you picking it up at a distribution point? If to your house then you're paying shipping and sales tax which for me makes it $69.85 to the door.

Does the 2011 Kia Soul have a OEM 10k recommended OCI or a OLM? If not, then the OE oil should not be used that long, unless you're conducting UOAs? I believe the Soul has a max of 7500 mile OCI???

I am set up as a commercial account with amsoil. I figured if kia says its ok to run petro oil 7500 then syn should do 10,000 with no trouble.

Quote:
I am set up as a commercial account with amsoil. I figured if kia says its ok to run petro oil 7500 then syn should do 10,000 with no trouble.

Um, I wouldn't run the OE oil that long without an UOA. You're busting the KIA OEM recommendation for OCI and you're engine is not covered by KIA or AMSOIL if there's a problem with the engine. But, then again, you're already past KIA warranty anyhow.

You'd be better off with the XL line of oil which is for 10k OCIs. Surprised no Amsoil rep's on here have not commented on this..

Last edited:
Alright guys. Please excuse me for any errors as far as oil pricing is concerned. Up here engine oils regular pricing is at least double and in most cases more than double and I got my numbers researching here on bitog. I'm hoping to be within a few bucks and I figured the totals would be close enough for the discussions sake.
And is the amsoil oe delivered for 53 bucks a flat or is that just the cost of oil. And if shipping is over and above that 53 bucks it's not gonna fare well for amsoil.

Here's my thinking.
Amsoil O.E. 10000 miles
PU is easily a 15000 mile drain.
2 jugs of PU is 56 bucks for 10 litres
That's only 3 bucks more than amsoil UNLESS Amsoil charges shipping over and above in which case ultra is not only cheaper but is also a better value in the drain department.
Now let's run the same scenario with qsud at a 10000 mile interval.
I have seen prices posted for qsud at 23 bucks a jug so 46 bucks spent to buy a similar volume of oil and still runs 10000 mile intervals.
And substitute M1 for 25 a jug so 50 to acquire a similar volume to the case of amsoil OE and a better oil to boot and a 10000 mile drain.

As I write all these options out I can't find amsoil to be the superior value I'm any of my examples. The sso line run out to 25000 miles would certainly be the best value but the added costs of the used oil analysis required to be sure it's possible basically kills the wallet benefit however the less work benefit remains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back