Oil Recommendation 2007 Civic Si Sedan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Civic SI with manual transmission turning over 4,000 RPM at 80 MPH, this fairly high RPM will consume some oil in a fairly high mileage engine.

I would try high mileage 5W30(syn or dino) in the next oil change to see if after 2-3 OCI's with high mileage oil the consumption is stopped or reduced.

Yes, check the PCV to make sure it works well, if not replace it with OEM.

Yup, very close, turning at 3500rpm at 80mph in 6th gear and 3400rpm at 75mph.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Originally Posted By: iluvhonda
1qt to 1k miles on a VTEC motor is within norm range.

Service manual doesn't say anything about oil consumption "norms".

1qt to 1k miles is not normal, especially if it's daily driven and rarely hit vtec, as OP mentioned. You don't even have to change the oil. Just top it off every 1k and you're good to go.

Under warranty Honda was giving that threshold for fullfilling any warranty work on the motor for customers. I'm way past my certified Honda used warranty, I agree that's crazy consumption. I'm almost tempted to trade into a dealer and get something else. Totally unimpressed with my first honda coming from american cars. Bought it certified used with 40k. The transmission blew a gear and destroyed itself at 70k. Thankfully it was covered by Honda's certified warranty. Only had to wait a month so they could confirm it wasn't caused by "abuse". I've always driven the car pretty mildly. Thought these things were supposed to be reliable haha.

The consumption rate of 1 quart/1k miles was only right after that first low level at oil change time. Now it has slowed to about 1/4 - 1/2 quart per 1k miles. (Only total of about 2500 miles since this happened.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Islandvic
What does the Valvoline Quick Lube charge for full syn oil change and filter, if you dont mind me asking?

Here in Connecticut they charge like $75-$80 and there's always a $5 coupon. Oil, filter, top off other fluids if needed, fill your tires. Try to sell you additional services. The si always takes a little over 5 quarts. I've taken it them the life of the car because the oil filter is in such a pain in the [censored] location. You have to remove the passenger wheel and inner splash guard to get to it right above the axle boot.

si3.jpg

As per everyone's advice, I'm going to just replace the PCV valve myself, and I'm doing the next oil change myself hopefully with Pennzoil Platinum on sale as you mention. I have all those stores near me.

Thanks so much for the suggestions guys, this has been stressing me out lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Schiddy
Thought these things were supposed to be reliable haha.

Running 80 mph on the highway for "a few months" without ever checking the oil level doesn't make the car unreliable!
48.gif

If it makes you feel better, I'm coming up on 135k on my 2003 with both sway bar end links being the only "repair" I wouldn't consider a normal wear item. Even that was due to potholes I believe. Replacements were $11 each on Rockauto.

Don't be afraid. If you like the car, keep it. I wouldn't expect major problems.
thumbsup2.gif

I wouldn't recommend PP because its the lightest w30 on the market. You need to find a thick xw30 or xw40 to reduce the consumption. 40 weight would be even better due to the high mileage + high rpm hwy miles, its the recommended viscosity for the "rev happy" K20s globally. Belgian Castrol 0w30, German Castrol 0w40 or M1 0w40, or Shell Rotella T6 5w40 are good options.

Changing the oil filter is not that hard. You don't have to take the wheel off. I can reach the oil filter through underneath the car (near ex. manifold). I use the plastic ramps which make the things really easy.

Originally Posted By: Schiddy
Hmmm ok, I can pick one of those. When I said PP I meant the high mileage one if I can find it.

Yeah I forgot to mention. You can also use xw30 HM oils, like PP or Valvoline Maxlife.

You would save around $40 by doing it yourself. Full syn oil is $25 at walmart, and $10 for top tier oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back