Oil question, 2 vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody. I used to have a sn here before, a few years ago, but I couldn't for the life of me find it when I did a search. Anywho.

I have 2 vehicles that I'm searching for some oil info on. I'll start with the Integra

1989 Acura Integra. D16a1 engine, one of few Honda engines with a flat tappet setup (requires valve adjustments). approximately 200k on car. No idea of mileage on engine, would assume the same based on what th old head looked like and the cylinder walls. Just had the head rebuilt at the local machine shop and got it all installed and running finally yesterday morning.

For the temp range we see here in Atlanta, GA, the owners manual recommends either 10W-30, or 10W-40 for the higher temps (the 10W-30 arrow doesn't quite reach to the upper temps we see down here). I've actually only put ~30 miles on this car since I've bought it, and soon it's going to become my daily driver. I'd like to get at least another 50k out of it. Most of my driving is going to consist of a 50/50 mix of highway and city driving. I drive fairly aggressively, but always allow the car to warm up properly before driving the car hard. I'm not concerned with fuel economy, I just want the best protection for the engine.

The other car is my 1986 BMW 325. It's a 2.5L M20 engine out of a '91 325, not the original 325e 2.7L M20. This car is my track rat. It see's maybe 5k miles a year tops, this year included 7 autox events, and almost 600 miles of on-track use at Road Atlanta. Car has 140k on it, engine supposedly has roughly the same. I resealed the entire engine minus the HG when I first got it, and there was alot of sludge buildup. With short OCI's and allowing it to get fully up to temp each and every time I drive it (with a quart of atf in the crankcase here and there as well) the engine has cleaned up quite nicely.

This car gets the ever living ---- beat out of it. I've switched to a 4.10 lsd rear diff, as it helps me get closer to top speeds on the back straight at Road Atlanta as well as put me in a better rpm range for the powerband of this engine. Therefore when on the highway, I regularly see 4500 rpm's steady cruising. This is also a flat-tappet engine design. The manual specs a 20W-50 oil for this engine in warm weather, a 10W-40 for colder climates. I'm currently running Rotella Syn 5W-40, and the engine seems to like this oil much better than Castrol GTX 20W-50. My 1st trip t Road Atlanta with it with roughly 250 miles on-track it used almost a quart of the GTX. After the switch to the Rotella Syn, it seemed to run a touch smoother, and used less than a half quart in just about 300 miles of on-track use.

I have no done a UOA for this engine yet, but am considering it after I change out this fill. I'm basically asking, I want to keep both engines in top mechanical shape. I'd like to see at least another 50k+ out of the Integra, and at least 2 more seasons out of the BMW before it gets sold or traded for a new track beast. I've been trying to read some of the UOA's on here, but I'm not sure what to really look for. Is there a sticky somewhere that will tell me what I should be looking for in a UOA, and what properties I should be looking for in an oil to suit my needs? Thanks everybody!!

Just for convenience I'd use RTS for both. Do a UOA after a reasonable OCI on the Integra.

I'm just wondering if you're going to experience increased blow-by due to the renewed head. How bad was the ridge on your bores?

Quote:

Just for convenience I'd use RTS for both. Do a UOA after a reasonable OCI on the Integra.

I'm just wondering if you're going to experience increased blow-by due to the renewed head. How bad was the ridge on your bores?

I could feel the ridge slightly with my finger, but not with my fingernail, so it's fine. 200+ psi of compression wet on all cylinders. I'm going to say that blow-by shouldn't be much of a problem.

As far as the Penzoil 10W-30 for the Integra, is this for the winter, or summer too? According to the book, the 10W-30 is a bit thin for the temps we see in the summertime, but the book was also written almost 20 years ago too.....

How's the fuel system on the Integra? The reason that I said use both until you do a UOA is that you use the synth in a 40 weight without any real "penalty". After you do a UOA you can see what might be a more appropriate oil. The stuff is cheap enough for the feeling out period.

True. I actually just put GTX 10W-40 in it, so I guess that'll be my test mule. Not sure what you mean by fuel system. It's all stock, I'm sure it could use a new filter. What are you asking, line/injector condition??

Also not sure if perhaps I should run the oil in there for a bit and change it again. There was some coolant in the crankcase from when I pulled the head. I pulled the drain plug and let it all pour out, then poured another quart all over the top of the head before I put the valve cover back on, letting that all drain out. What do you guys think? Ohh, and there is also some of the nice red sticky engine assembly lube mixed in I used on the cams.

Quote:

What are you asking, line/injector condition??

More or less, yes. It's a 19 year old fuel management system. I was just going to recommend that if this has never had UOA before ..that you should use some decent fuel system cleaner (maybe ever other tank full) while you're getting other residual trash out of the sump. I like Gumout Regane Complete for over the counter cleaners. You may also consider checking out Auto-Rx.

Good luck
cheers.gif

Quote:

Quote:

What are you asking, line/injector condition??

More or less, yes. It's a 19 year old fuel management system. I was just going to recommend that if this has never had UOA before ..that you should use some decent fuel system cleaner (maybe ever other tank full) while you're getting other residual trash out of the sump. I like Gumout Regane Complete for over the counter cleaners. You may also consider checking out Auto-Rx.

Good luck
cheers.gif

Thanks. I have access to BG stuff, so if I do a fuel system clean, it'll be with BG. The car calls for 91 octane, it's a fairly hi-comp motor (I believe 10.2 or 10.5:1), and I'm sure the timing tables aren't too aggressive, but I doubt it's had 91 in it it's entire life. It had plenty of carbon buildup as well.

Pictures:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v77/kendogg441/Acura/Head Swap/

I'm not too worried about fuel system issues though. I'll let the UOA tell me if there is or not.

This sucks, I forgot that I can't edit posts here
frown.gif

Regardless of the cars, what are the first things I should be looking at when trying to judge oils? I know how to look at the data sheets and rear viscosity specs, but other than that, what do all the other things mean? I can't find a sticky to tell me this info, so I'm going to ask here. Things like what add packs are what, what base stocks are better any why, etc.

Quote:

but other than that, what do all the other things mean?

Patience, weed hopper. Enlightenment will come ..if you are one with the board. It takes discipline
spankme.gif
bop.gif
chairs.gif
and much practice
starwars.gif
fence.gif

I'm not patient though. I want to know now, lol. I can read and learn most probably on my own, but would like to be pointed in the direction of where to read. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back