oil pressure switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi to everyone,
I have a question about Generac Oil pressure switches that cause the engine to cut off if the pressure is low.At my Mom's house we have a Generac 4000xl generator with pressurized oil pressure and a switch rated for about 8 psi.When i cleaned out the carb and did alot of studying online i found the pressure switches tend to go bad in this model for some reason and showed that when you disconnect it,the generator starts right up.I looked all online and the cheapest i find a switch for them is around $20-30.I bought one for my dodge van and it was like 10-11 dollars as i recall.didn't know why a pressure switch would be this high and don't really want to run without one.i could run it like it is,don't have any hours on it,maybe 3 hours in the 10 years i've had it,just use it for backup and haven't needed it too much.anyway is there a cheaper alternative to these switches around 8 psi?are briggs and stratton ones cheaper or interchangeable? thanks for the help/suggestions.

Last edited:
If the switch is just grounding below a certain pressure, if you get the threading and PSI correct you should be fine.

The oil pressure sensor for my Dodge Ram diesel is $200. Some things are a lot more expensive than you figure they should be.

Given all the adapters I have in a oil pressure gauge tester, it might take a little work to fit the right threading. If there is no o-ring, then its a tapered thread like NPT. But I think there is metric pipe thread also.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back