Pressure washer engine preference?

GCV 190 works like a champ. This engine, and it's replacement parts, are ubiquitous.

Don't forget pump saver after each use.

Last edited:
Well I picked up that Simpson 3300psi for $175 today. Fires up first pull, no leaks, tons more powerful than the electric I have. Seems that pump would be stupid easy to replace if need be down the road.
View attachment 212886
I have a similar model with a Chonda engine, but the same pump. Unfortunately, the pump isn’t serviceable, but can be had for $100 or so if needed down the road. The unloader valve is a bit finicky… I might get a Cat pump when this one fails.

The key is to not let it excessively idle as that will heat the water inside the pump. Keeping it spraying will ensure constant cold water to keep the pump cool(er). It seems to get very hot compared to the Cat pump on my dad’s pressure washer.

I have a similar model with a Chonda engine, but the same pump. Unfortunately, the pump isn’t serviceable, but can be had for $100 or so if needed down the road. The unloader valve is a bit finicky… I might get a Cat pump when this one fails.

The key is to not let it excessively idle as that will heat the water inside the pump. Keeping it spraying will ensure constant cold water to keep the pump cool(er). It seems to get very hot compared to the Cat pump on my dad’s pressure washer.
Agreed, I went so far as to zip-tie the trigger on my Simpson so if it's running it's spraying. I just put my foot on the handle while I start the engine. It's a residential unit with the Honda GCV190 and it's been fine for about a decade in typical homeowner use.

You're right on. This is what most owners don't do.

Problem is, the cheap units don't idle down when you let off the trigger. They stay running full rip, or wherever you had it running. If the pump unloader starts piddling water based on pump temperature, you are mostly too late.

Agreed, I went so far as to zip-tie the trigger on my Simpson so if it's running it's spraying. I just put my foot on the handle while I start the engine. It's a residential unit with the Honda GCV190 and it's been fine for about a decade in typical homeowner use.
Sometimes mine needs the handle open to start too. I’ve actually gone so far as to start it dry then turn the water on. I have a valve at the inlet so it’s not dry for very long.

Currently own two Ryobi gas units, one with a Honda engine and the other with a no name, they work great. Have had a Subaru powered one previously and it lasted 12 years before I gave it away still working. The only bad one I had was a 2008 vintage Craftsman, dont remember the engine where the pump exploded within 10 minutes of use.

First order of business.
Before
1712753688595.jpeg

After
1712753730718.jpg

I bought a CAT branded power washer.. cheap clone engine with 2 dipsticks and 3 oil drains.
works like a champ.

To really know how strong a power washer is you need GPM @ PSI.
Most tell you UP TO GPM and UP TO PSI.. so its not helpful.
UP TO 2.6GPM
UP TO 3100psi

might mean 1.5GPM@3100psi and 2.6GPM at 100psi soap nozzle.

Not 2.6GPM @3100psi.

If your budget is low unless you can find a steal on a good condition used one..
they have them everyday for 249 at menards

Last edited:
I have the 3300 Simpson with the 6.5 HP Kohler engine. It doesn't get used much, so I use Tru-Fuel with a heavy dose of Pri-G in the gas. It will sometimes sit for 6 months or longer, and always starts on the first or second pull.

Most pressure washers are damaged by poor fuel, care and maintenance, than by some type of inferior engine brand. As far as pumps, it's the same deal.

Most are destroyed by low oil level, or by running them without any, or else sufficient water pressure and volume to the unit. That is why you should NEVER loan out a pressure washer to a neighbor. Instead offer to to the job for him if it's not too big.

Back