OIL OPINIONS FOR NEW MUSTANG GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have 2500 miles on my GT and have been using MC 5w-20 synth blend as what the manual calls for.I know that the motorcraft filter is a pretty good filter to use,but what about the oil? Should I stick with what the manual calls for the 4.6 or maybe go for a full synthetic?
Also I have a 69 Mach 1 with 351W. Any suggestions as to oil type for that engine? I currently use Pennz 10w-30 in that.

For the GT, GC...I know it sounds like a broken record, but 5w/20 vs 0w/30...there's not much difference and it is quality stuff.

For the 351W, how do you drive it? Any seal leaks or oil usage? Do you want to stick to dino? Theoretically, you could use the same oil for both engines.

I don't drive the old Mach hard very often and it doesn't have any seal seepage at all. It only sees maybe 2000 miles each year also as I drive it occasionally to shows and weekends. It's basically a stock 4bbl motor.

I think there is a big difference between MC and GC. ~2.6cp vs. 3.6cp HTHS. I think GC would be too thick. The 4.6L uses aluminum bearing design which allows tighter clearances which not only make the 5w-20 safe, but best. Pennzoil 5w20 seems good too if you like them. Full synth is up to you. If over 5k drains I certainly would. Or you could just use LC with MC or Pennz. Lots of options. You could stick with the 10w30 in the Mach 1. But I would look at Specialty Formulations Classic Form since it is driven so rarely. I'd think about using Lube Control with it as well.

Hey man.....A lot depends on the oil change intervals you embrace. I have a highly modified LS1 in a 04 GTO (400RWHP) running GC 0-30.....have 4000 miles on it....I use Amsoil 5-30 10-40 mix when I cannot find the GC..I run it very hard....change the oil not based on mileage but on runs....am starting to believe thinner is better for this application....seems to run better on the GC 0-30 versus my Amsoil soup....I may cut out the Amsoil 10-40 mixer and run straight Amsoil 5-30...(some Amsoil dealer emailed from BITOG and said I should try Amsoil 0-30 but I cannot find any info on it on the Amsoil website)see what the butt dyno sez.....I also have a Perma Cool Oil cooler with dual filters on the Goat....so the oil temp never see's anything above 180....even under road racing/flying mile conditions....I run the synthetics as I am a nut and believe I am gaining performance from them:)....My Dodge Dakota R/T has a 360 magnum..62,000 miles..it is my daily driver....I also have an oil cooler dual oil filter setup....used to run Amsoil in it and change every 3000 miles but that is just a waste....I now run Havoline 5-30 dino in it......just received my new Blackstone lab kit and will get an OCI to compare with the Amsoil Synthetic at 3000 mile OCI with the Havoline dino under the same OCI/driving conditions.....both cars use (1) K&N Oil Filter (1) SuperTech Oil Filter combo...both have K&N CAI....both are kept in top shape...So...bottom line.....I would (IMHO) use a good synthetic on a longer OCI for your new GT (congrats by the way nice car...that from a GTO guy!
smile.gif
)I would use a good Dino like Castrol/Havoline for your Mach 1 and run a OCI on a twice a year or 3000 miles whichever comes first.......

The MC 5w-20 is one of the better 5w-20's available. On the other hand, it seems that these Ford modular engines don't seem to care what oil you put in them (as long as you don't go to the extreme with a really thick oil). Honestly, while your car is under warrenty, I would stick to the regular OCI's as stated in the warrenty book and use MC 5w-20 or a decent Xw-30. Synth is nice, but not needed for regular oil changes.

Many people, including me, have used GC in a Ford modular V8 or V10 with great results. If you are gonna go with a synth oil, and you can find the stuff, it is the way to go.

I definitely won't go over the 5000 OCI on the GT,so I'm thinking maybe the MC 5W-20 blend will be OK.I'm curious though as to just how much synthetic is truly blended in with this oil.
I was also wondering if maybe after 10,000 miles or so if I should run maintenance doses of auto-rx to keep the motor clean? Maybe I should have posted this question somewhere else.
Thanks for everyones advice so far,I really appreciate it.

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:
In hot sunny climates.....I perfer 5w30 or 10w30 over 5w20 oils.

Ambient temperature has nothing to do with oil vicosity in a water cooled engine. Once the engine oil is up to operating temp, the thermostat regulates the temperature. Hence, a 5w-20 will act the same way in Florida as it would in Alaska.

Actually bulk oil temperature can vary by as much as 30-50F or more from winter to summer depending on a lot of variables.

quote:

Originally posted by medic:

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:
In hot sunny climates.....I perfer 5w30 or 10w30 over 5w20 oils.

Ambient temperature has nothing to do with oil vicosity in a water cooled engine. Once the engine oil is up to operating temp, the thermostat regulates the temperature. Hence, a 5w-20 will act the same way in Florida as it would in Alaska.

Amen to that, Operating temperature's operating temperature. Oil temperatures Do Not Vary significantly with season or climate, they only reach full operating sooner in warmer climates do to a higher starting temp.

I know at least my Tacoma's oil temp is regulated by an oil to coolant exchanger. It doesn't get much hotter than the coolant and will quickly settle below coolant temps at less than highway speeds. So the oil stays around 190F most of the time. From another owner of the same motor the oil doesn't exceed the coolant temperature often and not by much. I don't think the oil temps will get out of hand unless on a racetrack in most modern engines.

[ March 16, 2005, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: Bryanccfshr ]

I think you're on the right track. MC 5w20 at 5K or less intervals is best for the GT, especially while under warranty. I can't see any need for an internal engine cleaner in a low mileage car that's being well maintained. 10w30 Pennzoil sounds like a good choice for the Mach 1. Sweet rides, BTW.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 69Mach:

Also I have a 69 Mach 1 with 351W. Any suggestions as to oil type for that engine? I currently use Pennz 10w-30 in that.

I use Amsoil 10w40 in my '69 vette.
Only do about 2K mileage a year.
Change with filter once a year before winter storage.

quote:

Originally posted by 69Mach:
I currently have 2500 miles on my GT and have been using MC 5w-20 synth blend as what the manual calls for.I know that the motorcraft filter is a pretty good filter to use,but what about the oil? Should I stick with what the manual calls for the 4.6 or maybe go for a full synthetic?

Is you GT an 04 or 05? If an 05, there are tighter clearances in your 3-valve 4.6L.

I am not a proponent of Xw-20 weight oils. The oil was switched to by Ford and Honda to cut their CAFE numbers...this calculated to 30,000 fewer polluting cars on the road, which is virtually nothing.

my tuner has seen the internal documents regarding 5W-20. For qualification, you'd want a light oil, but for daily use...you will have no problem with a 5W30 or 10W-30 in a Ford Modular engine.

My pal has a 64.5 Mustang w/ the same 351W engine, fuel injected, etc., and he runs Mobil 1 15W-50 in his w/ K&N oil filters.

I run Red Line 5W-30 in my 03 GT with the K&N 2010 oil filter.

My father runs Mobil 1 10W30 SS in his 97 4.6L Lariat w/ Motorcraft FL820s filter...he has over 220,000 original miles on his truck, and it's still going strong.

You wouldn't want a 40 or 50 weight oil in teh modulars, so go with what you feel comfortable with!

Although my argument is reactionary....

I concur with the above posters, ditch the MC 5W20 blend after X,000 mile break in period.

Switch to a 0W30, 5W30, or 5W40 (Mobil 1 Truck & SUV)

GC is great if it sticks around, Mobil 1 too, Amsoil ASL or Series 3000 HD, Royal Purple, Shaefers etc are fine.

If you want to spend and start new, Redline would be a wonderful from birth engine oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back