Oil leak around VVT solenoids

Checking things under the hood of my truck just now I noticed the passenger side valve cover wet with oil and what seems to be slow seepage around the VVT solenoids. My truck is a 2012 F150 with the 3.7 V6, 198k miles. Will this repair involve valve cover removal? Will I need new solenoids or just new seals?

Attachments

• EA3AC599-E7A4-4212-9B09-231FA93E7455.jpeg
    EA3AC599-E7A4-4212-9B09-231FA93E7455.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 189
Checking things under the hood of my truck just now I noticed the passenger side valve cover wet with oil and what seems to be slow seepage around the VVT solenoids. My truck is a 2012 F150 with the 3.7 V6, 198k miles. Will this repair involve valve cover removal? Will I need new solenoids or just new seals?
Pretty sure you will need to remove the valve covers. You wouldn't need to replace the solenoids, but depending on the cost it might make sense with that mileage as long as you are in there.

I'm not certain if the valve covers have to be removed or not but if they do, I'd definitely go ahead and replace the solenoids while you've already got things apart. Especially at that mileage.

Should not have to remove covers. You will bend the used ones digging them out, but reinstalling new ones is just a matter of tapping down into the hole flush and without marring them. Regarding removing the solenoids, you can hopefully get a ratchet extension down between the connector and the opening, but don't try this yourself without understanding whether or not the bolt is captured by the solenoid flange or not, and you will need to make absolutely sure the socket and/or extension is secured to the ratchet so you don't lose anything into the engine. If you're not handy with tools I'd let a mechanic handle that part.

Whatever you do, don't drop anything into the engine! Frankly, you could probably just clean the holes out good and fill it with Permatex.

I am not familiar with that particular engine but looking at the parts on Rock it is pretty clear how this thing is put together. The VVT solenoids use a single bolt on each one and require the valve cover to be removed, the seals for the VVT come in the cover gasket kit.
Some of these VVT solenoids can leak where the plastic top meets the metal shell and for this one are not big money so if you are going to the trouble of replacing the gasket I would replace them. As always consult and verify with the FSM.

20212 ford vc gasket.jpg

vvt 2.jpg

vvt.jpg

Yup, on these you pull the valve cover to press the VCT and spark plug aperture seals out. The cover gaskets are side specific. You will also need a dab of RTV where the timing cover meets the head.

if its not a lot WHY BOTHER!! just keep it wiped clean or as noted try a bit of sealer made for an oily environment! unless its a DIY it will be $$$$

Back