Oil for Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: quantim0
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
If it's tuned and you're not especially worried about sticking to 5w-30 API SN, the turbo Subaru crowd generally uses 40-weight oils:

Rotella T6 5w-40
Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40
Mobil 1 0w-40
Castrol 0w-40

WM has all of these in jugs.

I'm undecided of switching to a 40w. I think it would be helpful overall, but the car only has 8000 miles on it, so still possibly covered by warranty. I have geico mechanical breakdown insurance that I'd count on for an engine failure more than Fords warranty. But if a good 5w-30 can handle a 7500 OCI and not shear down I don't see a reason to switch.

I may switch because the odds of a lubrication related failure are minimal overall compared to the other failure possibilities with this engine.

I'm pretty sure you voided your powertrain warranty with the tune. If you play with their ECU then the things that would break related to the tune are limitless.

Originally Posted By: tojo1968
OP,
I have a 14 ST and live in FL as well. Shorten your OCI and stay with 5w-30. Send a 4k sample in and see how it looks. Using out of spec oil is asking for warranty trouble. A lot of guys on the ST forum are tuned to stage 3 and still use 5w30.
I use Formula Shell full synthetic that I get at BJ's for $22/6 quarts. Great sleeper oil and add pack is very close to Amsoil OEM.

I have Penn Platinum in there now and at 5k it was sheared out of 30w spec on the UOA, so I need (want??) to use something heavier. My wear metals were super low and at the time of the change the car only had 5500 miles on it.

I understand what the problem is and what you are looking for. Please re read my post as I gave you a solution to your problem. If you cannot get Formula Shell, use 5w-30 M1. At 4K, send in a sample and see what the lab says.
The lab will tell you how long you can run the oil for.

Originally Posted By: tojo1968
OP,
I have a 14 ST and live in FL as well. Shorten your OCI and stay with 5w-30. Send a 4k sample in and see how it looks. Using out of spec oil is asking for warranty trouble. A lot of guys on the ST forum are tuned to stage 3 and still use 5w30.
I use Formula Shell full synthetic that I get at BJ's for $22/6 quarts. Great sleeper oil and add pack is very close to Amsoil OEM.

I have Penn Platinum in there now and at 5k it was sheared out of 30w spec on the UOA, so I need (want??) to use something heavier. My wear metals were super low and at the time of the change the car only had 5500 miles on it.

So I need either a heavier 30w or a 40w. I'm not too concerned about warranty on the motor since the odds of lubrication failure are slim. But a heavier 5w-30 would work fine for me, I just didn't know what the best option in that area was.

If you were not so worried about the stated weight nomenclature for warranty reasons, the M1 0W-40 being suggested many times in this thread IS actually a heavy 30 weight oil by HTHSV.

One of the heaviest weight, labelled 5W-30s is the Red Line, but that too is a no go as far as warranty is concerned due to it's over-stout, above SN levels add pack, and lack of certifications (even though it can beat the daylights out of most of the certified oils available).
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back