Oil for Bentley GTC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Out here in Flyover Country, these cars aren't just exotic, they might as well be from another solar system. I work with a couple of clients who are serious car guys who could afford these kinds of cars, but are afraid of possible servicing hassles. I don't know where the closest Ferrari/Maybach/Bentley retailer is, but I'm guessing it is a few hundred miles away.

The nearest Bentley dealer to you is in High Point, NC.

Quote:

....................The oil is easiest to change on the Maybach. You hook up a vacuum to the dipstick tube and suck out the oil. The oil filter is next to the oil fill site on the valve cover. You do not need to get under the car.........aehaas

Does the Maybach engine have a dipstick, and a drain bolt in the pan?

aehass, thanks for the servicing summary. i'd always heard that ferraris were touchy and required a fair amount of engine maintenance. but then again i never heard that firsthand from a ferrari owner. it's good to hear the facts about such cars.

g-man: you can buy a bentley in high point, nc? well, i didn't know that. the main industry there is selling furniture. they must be moving alot of lazy boys to attract a bentley dealer to that town. i would have thought atlanta or maybe washington d.c. live and learn, i say.

Quote:

g-man: you can buy a bentley in high point, nc? well, i didn't know that. the main industry there is selling furniture. they must be moving alot of lazy boys to attract a bentley dealer to that town. i would have thought atlanta or maybe washington d.c. live and learn, i say.

The dealership in High Point has been in business since 1963. Prior to the split of Rolls-Royce and Bentley they carried both marques. I've visited the showroom a few times and it's beautiful. Last time I was up there was when the last Rolls-Royces from the Crewe plant were being delivered and they had one of the special "final edition" Silver Seraphs on the floor. I talked with the GM and he was going to try and and continue to sell Rolls-Royce even after BMW started producing them. That didn't work out and they chose to go with Bentley.

bhp_shoqroom2.jpg

bhp_sales_01.jpg

bhp_serv_01.jpg

Greensboro, NC is fairly small and has a Ferrari dealership. Atlanta may be closer.

All Ferraris have clutches so that is one area where additional maintenance is required. They all used to have poly timing belts, now they are all chain driven, one less thing to worry about.

Most sports car issues are generally secondary to their existence as Garage Queens.

The Maybach normally has no dipstick, only a dipstick tube cover. They gave me an appropriate stick as I insisted upon it. And yes there is a drain plug if you insist on that route.

The Bentley does have a stick. And the filter can only be accessed from below so the car will have to go on the lift for fluid changes.

aehaas

Has this recent buying binge ended? Is it the first time your stable has been filled up?

Oh, and by the way. Some people get speeding tickets with an exotic. I collected tickets for missing mirrors. The Lusso came without outside mirrors. I would get a ticket, glue on a Talbot mirror, get the ticket signed off and remove the mirror and on to the next missing mirror ticket.

How's your record for tickets? You have a couple of cars that are fast enough to drive right to a jail cell with hand-cuffs, helicopters and bright shiny lights.

Quote:

All Ferraris have clutches so that is one area where additional maintenance is required. They all used to have poly timing belts, now they are all chain driven, one less thing to worry about.

What about the Enzo? Belt or chain?

I got a parking ticket once but never a moving violation.

The Enzo has timing chains. I am about to change the spark plugs by the 4 year rule. They are the NGK PMR8A ones and the dealership wants $50 each, times twelve.

aehaas

Quote:

I got a parking ticket once but never a moving violation.

The Enzo has timing chains. I am about to change the spark plugs by the 4 year rule. They are the NGK PMR8A ones and the dealership wants $50 each, times twelve.

aehaas

Do you put anything on you plug threads when they go in aluminum heads or do you rely on your 4 year rule?

Quote:

$50 per plug!
shocked.gif
What are they? Solid 24K electrode with mother of pearl insulators?

Geez...I just put plugs in my 300M and I thought $4 a pop was "high." Seriously, why are the NGK plugs for the Enzo so expensive? (The only reason I can think of is that these plugs only fit the engine in the Enzo, thus so few of them are made it drives the price up.)

I just did a quick search and rockauto.com has the NGK PMR8A for $13.06 each.

At $50/plug it sounds like the dealer is making close to $450 profit just on the spark plugs. I'd say that qualifies for the stealer description.

Really enjoying this thread by the way.

I actually got the plugs for $14 each from NAPA. They had to order them and they said they listed for $30 each. It took a while to get them.

I just do not like the 0W40 Mobil 1. Something more viscosity stable is better in my mind.

aehaas

Doc, when you get a pic of enzo, murcielago, 57s and gtc lined up, be sure to post it... that'd be one heck of a lineup!

Slightly off topic, Dr a beautiful car but if you don't mind me asking, what camera did you use to take those beautiful photos? Thank you.

I like the 0W30 GC and would use it if I wanted to go "thick".

I used a Nikon D2X with 17-35mm lens. I am looking forwards to getting the D3 soon.

aehaas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back