Oil for a '00 Honda Prelude H22a4

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am asking this for a friend...
The car has 137k on it and burns about 1 quart every 1000 miles and has run dino oil its whole life. Its currently driven ~100 highway miles a day. This particular engine design has known oil consumption issues, which from reading seem to be from the material honda used on the cylinder liners. I searched a bit and found a thread about someone who used arx to try in what appears to be a unsuccessful attempt at reducing oil consumption in one of these motors.

I have told her to run a 10w40 to reduce consumption and to maintain strict 4k intervals. Is there anything else she can do to drop the consumption/get the car to last longer? Particular brand?

Cool article! and what a pain!

So basically he can either run a thicker oil and take the pumping and cold start loss or live with it.

I'd vote live with it and top off regularly since your friend probably lives close to you in Michigan, and that's a cold place.

Originally Posted By: brandini
Cool article! and what a pain!

So basically he can either run a thicker oil and take the pumping and cold start loss or live with it.

I'd vote live with it and top off regularly since your friend probably lives close to you in Michigan, and that's a cold place.

Mobil 1 0w-40?

"Its currently driven ~100 highway miles a day.""maintain strict 4k intervals"

I think that's about a 6 week interval. Get an used oil analysis to test for fuel dilution. If it checks out OK, you can increase her interval.

1 quart/1k miles, and 100 highway miles a day...that's about a quart of oil every 10 days give or take.

Dude, save yourself money and time....just buy the cheapest oil you can, keep it topped off, and leave it. You're replenishing soo much, the oil will never wear out. You don't actually ever need to change it.....you're doing it 'on the go'!

dont the different components of the oil burn off at different rates?

she had a cross country trip this past year (oregon to michigan) and the car made it to 7k on a oil change. She kept it topped off, but the car was noticeably sluggish. i suspect that this is a result of a uneven burn off of the different parts of the oil. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back