Oil for 2012 Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to get ya'll's thoughts on oil for my 2012 Mustang GT California Special Convertible. It has the 5.0. It is a 6 speed manual. I have been having the oil changed at the local Ford dealership. They are using the Ford Synthetic Blend. I have been changing it when the computer tells me to, which is around 7000 miles. It uses 8 quarts. I was suprised at how much oil it holds. I am at work but I think it is 5w-20 that it calls for. I will continue to use the Motorcraft oil filter. I have been thinking about it and I don't get the blend. It seems like you would be loosing the benefits of the the Synthetic oil. I am probably looking at it wrong but I want to use full synthetic in it. What synthetic do you recommend and why? I appreciate your thoughts and information. I always learn something and see ideas I hadn't thought of. Thanks, Wes

Hi Wes, any oil meeting the Ford spec is technically all you need whether that be a blend or full synthetic. The sump capacity is very large at 8qts so you're not really stressing the oil out that much.

If it were mine, I'd use a full synthetic such as Mobil 1, Pennzoil Ultra/Platinum or Valvoline Synpower 5w20. The full synthetic will give you a bit of peace of mind protection and keep your engine a bit cleaner than using a blend.

Tig1, I know what the recommended oil is but I am at work and I cannot remember anything anymore. I am getting old and I own 2 cars and 2 truck and I get them mixed up. I do check before I buy the oil but the Mustang I have let the Ford dealership change and I have not bought any oil for it yet so the weight hasn't really sunk in. I hope the Ford dealership knows what weight to put in. I will double check the manual before I buy the synthetic oil. The real thing I want to know is thoughts on what synthetic to use in the Mustang. I like to accelerate hard but I only drive on the streets, no racing. Flying through the gears is fun.

For an 8 quart sump Quaker State full syn would be your best bet along with the Motorcraft filter. you could run it 7-10K with no issues

The MC blend, 5W 20 is actually a wise choice for your OCI's. I think a blend is ideal for a car under warranty and a smarter investment than a dino or a full synthetic and this oil was engineered for your Ford. As far as losing the benefits of synthetics, its in the additives. A dino with the proper additives your car needs is just as effective as a synthetic with those additives but with a shorter life, I'm not certain but I believe the MC is made by COP and the UOAs especially the Kendall 5W 20 version have been excellent.
Long OCIs have their advantages as well as shorter ones and the type of oil is the adjustment. With your OLM pointing to 7K OCIs and still within warranty a blend seems ideal.

Originally Posted By: Oil_Me
Tig1, I know what the recommended oil is but I am at work and I cannot remember anything anymore. I am getting old and I own 2 cars and 2 truck and I get them mixed up. I do check before I buy the oil but the Mustang I have let the Ford dealership change and I have not bought any oil for it yet so the weight hasn't really sunk in. I hope the Ford dealership knows what weight to put in. I will double check the manual before I buy the synthetic oil. The real thing I want to know is thoughts on what synthetic to use in the Mustang. I like to accelerate hard but I only drive on the streets, no racing. Flying through the gears is fun.

I hear you with the memory thing. If it's 5-20 then I would consider M1 0-20 or 5-20. Either way your Ford will last as long as you want it with that oil and keep the internals very clean as it does in my Fords with the longer OCIs that I do.

Hey there is nothing wrong with not knowing it is 5-20 that is why alot have the 5-20 right on the oil cap. Good your doing well and keeping busy. The blend is doing well in most if not all of the Fords. If you have extra money to spend you could go syn. but that is certainly not necessory on how you drive it seems. Nobody can really prove that syn would be better most of the times. It is just a mantra here with no real background of facts. There are examples of how keeping to the mfg. suggestions pays off even after it runs out. Sort of Fords advice or Junkyard Dog"s advice.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Oil_Me

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: walk23
The MC blend, 5W 20 is actually a wise choice for your OCI's... and this oil was engineered for your Ford.
Agreed 100%.

Although MC 5W-20 is no longer the sleeper deal of the century it once was, the quality hasn't changed, just the price. Use it with confidence.

I'm a mustang addict. Your car calls for 5w-20.
That being said if its out of warranty,and you drive it hard I would lean towards red line products or M1 0w-40 or German castrol 0w-30.
I'm using a mix of M1 AFE and m1 0w-40 in my highly modified nitrous fed 2000 gt with a dohc 4V engine. The passenger side rear cylinder doesn't tick on mine yet and this combo is pretty much guaranteed to prevent it.
I suggest reading up on the 5.0. The same cylinder I just referenced has heat issues,so a top quality oil is cheap insurance.
Nice car. I hope to own one once price isn't insanity. I don't like payments,so once they get to around 15k I'll buy one. Til then I will drool,and practice in my other mustangs.

Any 5W20 meeting Ford's spec will be more than you need especially with a 8qt oil sump. I only use motorcraft oil filters for my Fords.

I appreciate everybody taking the time to give me some advice. I learn so much when I ask a question here from the very knowledgeable forum members. After pondering this for a long time I think I will stick with the MC 5w-20 synthetic blend, at least until it is out of warranty. This seems like quality oil and the MC oil filter has received very good ratings. After the warranty runs out in another year and a half, I may switch to full synthetic. I was looking at the MC synthetic blend wrong and I don't feel like I am losing the synthetic advantages after reading the posts. Thanks for all your advice, Wes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back