Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do Amsoil's filters compare to Puralator PureOne? 12,500 miles seems very long...

Buster,

Oil filters tend to get clogged eventually from insoluble organic particulates, ie sludge. With PAO/Ester synthetics there is very little sludge to clog the filter, so change intervals can be extended. I just finished running an SDF-96 oil filter for 12k in my truck; I then cut the case off of it and examined the pleats and it looked fine. The only thing I saw was tea colored oil and no sludge. If you do lots of highway driving this recommendation is fine ....

I saw an SAE paper by Mobil where they ran oil filters for 100,000 miles in over the road trucks using Delvac 1 synthetic and they still performed fine. These were Detroit Diesel, Series 60 engines where the oil filter would typically be changed every 20k-25k miles. In this case, the key attribute of the oil that allowed this was very fine dispersion of soot particles, so they would not agglomerate and clog the filter.

Amsoil's filters can definitely handle 12k intervals much easier than the PureONEs. I'd feel pretty scared to run a PureONE for that long, especially if the filter was small. The reason why they trap smaller particles in the PureONE is because their media is packed so tight, and as such they restrict oil flow somewhat and don't have as good of a dirt capacity. Notice how Purolator never advertises the dirt capacity of the PureONE? There is a reason for that.

The Pure One may restrict flow somewhat and have a lower dirt capacity but I gotta take issue with the reason they have finer filtering capability is because they are packed so tight. Rather, just the opposite is true, the tight packing (using more square inches in the same cannister) is a compensation for the more efficient filtering. Since it stops smaller particles it will clog slower if there is more area to adsorb the dirt. Of course in doing this, the extra media takes up some of the room that could be filled with dirt. Regards, RW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back