Oil filter wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I tighten them on 3/4 of the way after gasket contact, but still have trouble removing them and decided to invest in a wrench for removal purposes only.

I hate nearly breaking my wrist every time. Lol.

That's usually what the filter instructions say. 1/2 to 3/4 turn after contact. Never had a leak.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
I snug it up by hand, been doing it this way since they came out with spin on filters, yet to have one leak.

+1 Just make sure your hand is dry or use a rag. I wrench to tighten a filter is overkill.

If my hand's wet & oily I give it an extra nudge with the wrench. If I felt like I got a good popeye grip I leave it hand tight.

I must admit that I'm absolutely flabbergasted that any BITOG member would install an oil filter with a wrench; ESPECIALLY from a couple of screen names that admit to doing so.

I've installed hundreds, if not thousands of filters (oil/coolant/fuel) on engines with extreme vibration, (e.g. dozers, off-road trucks, generators and pumps, etc.), gas and diesel, stationary and mobile, and have never, EVER used a wrench to install a filter.

Have any of you ever seen the size of an oil filter for a C-15 CAT? The filter alone holds almost a gallon of oil and the engine vibrates far more than a Toyota. Always hand tight. Never a leak.

Over-tightening can cause gasket leaks, tear the media, and distort the can. Never heard of a single filter manufacturer recommend using a tool to install.

Every filter I have ever seen that has a pictogram instructs to tighten 3/4 turn after gasket contact. That is all that is ever needed. Anything more is BITOG paranoia, plain and simple.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
What is the general consensus on using an oil filter wrench? I have used one every OCI the entire time I have been working on cars. We always felt that it was better to be a little to tight than too loose. I know that every manufacturer says to stop at the quarter turn, but does anyone really do that? Could there be any harm associated with overtightening a filter?
confused.gif

I never used a wrench to tighten, just my 61 yr old paws. Only had one leak and that was one with a warped filer base.

I will opine that this:

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I snug it by hand and then use a wrench to give it an additional 1/4 to 3/8 of a turn.

Equals this:

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Every filter I have ever seen that has a pictogram instructs to tighten 3/4 turn after gasket contact.

Then I opine that:

1) You don't understand when the gasket makes contact or,

2) You need to go to the gym.

I will opine that this:

I snug it by hand and then use a wrench to give it an additional 1/4 to 3/8 of a turn.

Equals this:

Every filter I have ever seen that has a pictogram instructs to tighten 3/4 turn after gasket contact.

Then I opine that:

1) You don't understand when the gasket makes contact or,

2) You need to go to the gym.

Right...neither. To each his or her own; I have been doing this since 1978 on too many vehicles to count. No leaks or issues of any kind--I will keep doing what I am doing.

I hand tighten everything, but my sister's Lexus RX300 oil filter and my moms Madza Miata. I use the cap to tighten it on the Leuxs, can't get my hand in there to tight properly. On the Miata I use a cap on it, but it is on the side of the motor and can't get a good grip on it. I use oil filter pliers, caps, and expandable claw thingys to remove oil filters. I hate the strap wrenches, they are unless in my opinion.

Use DENSO filters. They have a built in torque stop that can be reached by hand tightening. Deforms the O ring type gasket enough to prevent leaks but allows easy removal.

One of my vehicles has a cartridge filter and for that I have to use a filter cap and wrench. I use a torque wrench when tightening.

Another has the spin on filter in an awkward location. Last oil change, that filter came off by hand a little too easily so it appears I didn't / couldn't tighten it enough by hand. Perhaps a textured grip filter could have gone on tighter.

In any case, I snugged the new one down using a filter cap and torque wrench with extensions. This was far easier than tightening by hand and it'll be interesting to see how easy it is to remove by hand next time.

Yeah, i dunno if i got weaker or what, but on the Saturn I could get it 1/2 past very delicately with two fingers. On my truck i got it less than that with full strength. The only explanation I can come up with is the gasket on the Ultra holds more oil, thus expanding or swelling, than the Puro classics.

On the Saturn, you could actually go less than the 1/2 - 1/1 and have it just right to be able to remove by hand

I tighten by hand and use a wrench to go about another inch or so tighter
Been doing this for over 45 years and never had a leak or trouble removing

Thanks for all the input guys. I never really thought that leaks could be caused by over tightening! Good info to have. I may need to consider retiring my wrenches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back