Oil Filter Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the past 3 OC's I've been using the Bosch D+ filter. Lately I've been hearing great things about the Napa Gold filters. And would like to know if the extra $5 I spend on the Bosch filter is worth it or am I better off saving the money?

Another question I have is how you guys feel about Mighty Brand filters. In the small repair shop I work at this is what we keep in stock. Only reason I ask is because if this is a good filter then I would rather buy them super cheap off of my boss.

Thanks guys.

Napa Gold is a GREAT filter being Wix, but you should also check out Napa Platinum (Wix XP).

Until April 30 they are on sale for $7.54. So you still get a great filter just as good as D+, AND the $5 savings!

But if you can't get there in time, the Gold is still amazing.

For Mighty, check this out

What is your OCI? Filters like the D+ and Platinum are only necessary for very long OCI's (10k+) and even then Napa Gold and P1 can probably handle 10k as well. If you're doing 5k changes, then even Napa Silver and Purolator Classic are up to the task.

A better comparison would be to the Napa Platinum versus the Gold.

NP = Full synthetic wire backed media, silicone ADBV.

D+ = Two ply semi synthetic blended media, silicone ADBV.

Either way you go, two awesome filters.

Jump over to the Oil Filters section of the forum and you will be swimming in a sea of data and opinions...

Thanks a ton guys. And thanks Tommy for that link. My OCI is 5k.

I'll look into both of those Napa filters before my next OC.

/thread

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pepper

/thread

if your OCI is only 5k miles i would consider a Pure-one or a napa filter. the synthetic filters are sort of a waste to toss at 5k miles. if you like the D+ you could run it for 2 intervals.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

/thread

if your OCI is only 5k miles i would consider a Pure-one or a napa filter. the synthetic filters are sort of a waste to toss at 5k miles. if you like the D+ you could run it for 2 intervals.

This is so true, The Bosch D+ is one of the best "paper" filters out there. It filters amazingly well, you are wasting your money changing that filter at 5k. I use them on my uncles '11 Versa and he does 12k intervals I cut the filter open every time and it looks amazing. The Napa Gold, Platinum, and D+ all can go 2 OCI's on the vehicle so cost should not be a concern.

after reading the very smart guys on this for about 2 years. i will say this about filters in general. just my idea all of the truly bad filters could be held in one hand.

For the past 3 OC's I've been using the Bosch D+ filter. Lately I've been hearing great things about the Napa Gold filters. And would like to know if the extra $5 I spend on the Bosch filter is worth it or am I better off saving the money?

Another question I have is how you guys feel about Mighty Brand filters. In the small repair shop I work at this is what we keep in stock. Only reason I ask is because if this is a good filter then I would rather buy them super cheap off of my boss.

Thanks guys.

Is the Bosch worth the extra $5? That depends upon how you define the term "worth" ...

Are you going to make that decision based upon fact (data) or faith (emotion)?

If you want to know how to properly judge the filters based on data, then you have to set minimum limits for performance, and then select filters that meet that minimum. There are a whole host of good quality filters that cost even less than a Wix/NG, and yet still do a great job. You need to look at inputs (filtration ratings) and outputs (PCs and UOAs).

Also, filtration (as with lubes) are dependent upon the OCI/FCI terms. How long are you going to run these products? That has a huge bearing upon your decision as well. Premium filters often have a much greater capacity for holding particulate. But that is moot if you don't leave it on long enough to make any difference. Filters do not create particulate; they catch it. The rate of contamination is reasonably constant; it comes from the operational conditions and parameters of your engine. Any "normal" filter is certainly more than capable for "normal" OCIs. Only if you greatly surpass the "normal" OCI would a premium filter have an advantage.

And this can be seen play out in UOA data. Guys that run super-premium lubes and filters generally get great wear results. But they don't get anything much "better" than folks who choose "normal" products, because (this is a generalization here) they stick to OEM OCIs or less. Hence, the premium product potential never is realized; they don't run the products long enough to usurp the alternative.

If you're not running 15k miles or more, then I'd say the Bosch isn't "worth" the extra $5. If you're running 5-7k miles or less, I'd say that anything past a "normal" filter is paying too much.

I know nothing of the Mighty brand filters, but they are probably OK for "normal" applications. Generally, there are two options for aftermarket companies; they can buy existing performance, or they can spec their own. Most often, these products are simple "rebrands" of existing products.
What I see here:
http://www.aftermarketnews.com/Item/6097...d_ii_brand.aspx
is that Mighty is using Purolator to make both value and premium filters. So your choice is even compounded within the Mighty line. I suspect that the value filter is still more than good enough for "normal" OCIs. If you can get them cheap, they would be an excellent choice most likely. I would presume that Mighty simply rebrands the Classic and PureOne filters for the value and premium choices. I rather doubt they spec out unique filter criteria; they probably just buy what is already present. Part of the reason I say that is because of warranty concerns. Purolator has already put all the effort into engineering and testing and spec'ing filtration for applications. If Mighty wanted to self-spec filters, they they'd have to also take on the burden of warranty concerns. If they simply purchase existing products from Purolator, and rebrand, then there is inherent implication of warranty via Purolator's engineering. Very common in rebranding strategies across a wide range of products in today's world.

If you're judging filters on faith and emotion, you might as well buy whatever makes you happy.

But why not "know" rather than "guess"?
Why not step out of the dogma and into the world of experimentation?
How about adding to our knowledge base?
Try running a few OCIs with your current Bosch set up, and take some UOAs.
Then run a few OCIs with the same lube choice, but switch to the Mighty filters and then UOA again.

Don't ask us; tell us how well it works for you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back