OIL Filter question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For many years I have been using Baldwin oil filters in my cars. I need to change the oil in a 2004 Jeep Grand 4.7 and I am thinking of buying the filter at the local Autozone because I ran out of the Baldwins. Autozone sells Fram tough guard, stp, standard fram, Bosch and Mobil 1. If I had to guess I would say the Mobil 1 is the best from the selection? Would any of the others be as good as the BAldwin? Out of my selection which would be a good fiter to use comparable to the Baldwin?
Thank You
Sal

I would go some where else and get a Wix or a Purolator - though the Bosch is sim to top purolator at a price. Possibly Chrysler/FIAT guys could chime in an give better advice based on experience with the 4.7 engine.

I'd say Bosch or Mobil 1. I've used both Purolator and Bosch on my 4.7 and they're both quality filters that have held up well. No flimsy materials or half-arsed design.

I would vote Bosch or Mobil 1 if your looking to spend big bucks. If your looking for cheap, an STP would be fine (nice Champ Labs filter as long as your not running crazy OCIs).

I really can't believe I'm posting this, but if you can head over to a local Walmart, they sell...gulp....Fram Extended Guards (gold can) for $7.50.
I would never recommend any other Fram oil filter, but the Extended Gaurds are actually rather nice. Metal end caps, mult-layered synthetic media with screen backing, sturdy construction....completely different animal then the rest of the trash they sell.

But if you are restricted to Autozone, Bosch or Mobil 1. I love M1 filters...built like tanks. Expensive though, but arguably one of the best. Of you can catch them during a sale, you can typically score 5wts of M1 and an M1 filter for $30.

Last edited:
you can get baldwins in your area!? just keep using them they are a very quality build filter. if you really want to change use a purolator.

the only reason i would not use baldwins is the little slits on the flow tube the same with donaldson. they are restrictive in my opinion at lease for my fords applications...otherwise, they are quality filters...i haven't seen them lately but several years they had slits instead of holes..same with amsoil...we had a private company tested these and psid was really high for 3gpm...i would stay away from those kind of filters...above info is just my opinion and what info. i found out..use a larger filter improves that greatly i learned...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
the only reason i would not use baldwins is the little slits on the flow tube the same with donaldson. they are restrictive in my opinion at lease for my fords applications...otherwise, they are quality filters...i haven't seen them lately but several years they had slits instead of holes..same with amsoil...we had a private company tested these and psid was really high for 3gpm...i would stay away from those kind of filters...above info is just my opinion and what info. i found out..use a larger filter improves that greatly i learned...
The corrugated and punched center tube absolutely flows better than a plain throug-hole. But, Any PSID seen is most likely media related not a centertube design issue. Dont get hung up on corrugated centertubes most all majors are going to that design (or a variation thereof).

Originally Posted By: pzev
I really can't believe I'm posting this, but if you can head over to a local Walmart, they sell...gulp....Fram Extended Guards (gold can) for $7.50.

HERETIC!!! LET'S BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!!!

lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back