Oil Filter Media Efficiencies (Beta) - Motorcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
The following information was gathered from a conversation with the product engineering manager at Purolator.

Here it is. Filter media are engineered to capture a target "range". As a reference, the Purolator L24651 was mentioned in regard to the Motorcraft FL820s (same application). The beta @ 20 microns for the L24651 (Purolator Classic) is in the target range of 40. Based on testing, the Motorcraft FL820s has a beta @ 20 microns in the range of 12.5. What this means in terms of efficiencies,

Motorcraft FL820s ~ 92% efficient @ 20 microns
Purolator L24651 ~ 97.5 efficient @ 20 microns (as advertised)

A couple of things to keep in mind:

First, these data are for Single Pass Filtering Efficiency on brand new filters. As a filter is used, its ability capture contaminants increases (BITOGers know this).

Second, Ford uses very high efficiencies in its other filters (Air 99.0%, Fuel 98% @ 10 microns) and I have observed Ford engineering always has a reason for their design. As for the FL820s, many of its applications have the VCT system that requires a high volume/ high pressure oil pump. The oil pump volume on these systems are 30% greater than non-VCT engines and operate 75 psi @ 2000 rpms (operating temp). So flow is very important in these engines.

And finally, I doubt a slight increase in efficiency will make a difference in terms of wear reduction. One thing that is certain, the MC FL820s is set to bypass at 12.5-18.5 psi while other filters begin to open around 8 psi (pureone). With the high volume oil pump on most Ford VCT engines, you have to think about the likelihood of the oil filter pressure relief valve opening. And when it does, is it on the clean side (threaded side). Another point mentioned, is that the Motorcraft FL820s is designed to bypass much higher volumes of oil through its relief valve compared to the thimble sized relief valves usually on the bottom end-cap.

Well, this is some information I thing bitogers would be interested in mixed in with some of my thoughts. Not pushing for Motorcraft, run what you will in your engine. Open to hear some other thoughts.

Does this hold true for the other Ford engines using smaller filters? Can you get info on MC filters for my engines? I usually use M1 filters as I get them with the M1 oil and filter specials that AZ and AAP have. It seems MC filters are quality and wouldn't hesitate to use them if bypass pressure warranted it. Thanks.

I don't know. The FL910s is set to begin bypassing at 14.5 psi. It seems Ford has gone out its way to insure their filters meet a certain specification. From the conversation, my impression was that Purolator does not make the filter media in the Motorcraft. When talking about Purolator data, it was said "our" media targets... When talking about Motorcraft, it was always put in the context of "from testing"...

Correction to my original post. I am not certain if the test was single or multipass. I tend to believe it was multipass because it is the testing standard used by Purolator for automotive oil fiters.

Originally Posted By: modularv8

A couple of things to keep in mind:

As for the FL820s, many of its applications have the VCT system that requires a high volume/ high pressure oil pump. The oil pump volume on these systems are 30% greater than non-VCT engines and operate 75 psi @ 2000 rpms (operating temp). So flow is very important in these engines.

Stating an operating pressure at a certain RPM really doesn't say anything in terms of actual flow volume. The flow volume (GPM), along with oil viscosity are what actually determines the psid factor associated flow across a filter. You could have 75 psi at 2000 RPM with 1 GPM of flow if the engine's flow path is restrictive enough. Flow volume is the factor to tell the real story.

Got any idea what the flow volume in GPM is at certain operating conditions?

According to Ford Engineering, modular VCT engine oil pumps output 2.62 gpm per 500 rpms @ operating temperature (MC 5w20). This coincides also with Melling data whom I believe is the OEM supplier. Non-VCT engines have 33% less volume under the same conditions.

According to Ford Engineering, modular VCT engine oil pumps output 2.62 gpm per 500 rpms @ operating temperature (MC 5w20). This coincides also with Melling data whom I believe is the OEM supplier. Non-VCT engines have 33% less volume under the same conditions.

Say 6500 RPM divided by 500 RPM = 13.

13 times 2.62 GPM/500 RPM = 34.1 GPM.

I doubt there is actually 34 GPM gong through these motors, as the volume going through the engine will be limited/regulated by the pressure relief valve in the oil pump.

The manufacture should give a volumetric spec at a specific viscosity (oil weight @ temp spec) at the oil pump's pressure relief setting. Otherwise, it's anybodies guess on what the true max volume flow can be going through the filter and engine oiling system.

Yeah, I think that's theoretical flow. I have a factory manual, a factory specs book and three high performance "how-to" books on the modular engine and I find darn little on the lubrication system. I do think, however, that modularV8 is overstating the filter restriction issues a little but I don't have much to back that up but my gut.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Yeah, I think that's theoretical flow. I have a factory manual, a factory specs book and three high performance "how-to" books on the modular engine and I find darn little on the lubrication system. I do think, however, that modularV8 is overstating the filter restriction issues a little but I don't have much to back that up but my gut.

I doubt it flows more than 10 to 12 GPM max ... that's a lot of oil flow for a street engine.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

I doubt it flows more than 10 to 12 GPM max ... that's a lot of oil flow for a street engine.

The quoted output of 2.62 gpm @ 500 rpms is the unrestricted flow from the pump (theoretical). Measuring flows through an engine is difficult, therefore you don't see it published; only pump output. Ofcourse, the relief valve would not permit the flow/pressure to continue increasing beyond its design. Sorry I wasn't more clear, but I thought this would be understood by you guys (common knowledge). How much flow is lost to friction in the engine, I don't know. The modular engine does have serviceable ports for pressure reduction into the head galleries. Only the channel to the VCT does not get pressure reduction.

I don't know that Ford designed the FL820s to be less restrictive. I present it as a deduction on my part based on what I know about modular VCT type engines.

As for the 2.62 gpm flow rate, I found that information in a Ford Engineering Specification book at the SWRI library. A little searching on the Internet, I found Melling also has this spec published on their Facebook site,

Ford 5.4L 3v Oil Pump Output

It's interesting that the 2005-2009 5.4 4V (non-VCT Shelby GT500 engine) oil pump produces the same volume as the 3-valve pump.

The quoted output of 2.62 gpm @ 500 rpms is the unrestricted flow from the pump (theoretical). Measuring flows through an engine is difficult, therefore you don't see it published; only pump output.

I figured it was the pump only spec. If this engine hits pump relief pressure (75 psi) at 2000 RPM (as you stated earlier), then based on the pump spec the engine is flowing close to (2000/500) x 2.62 gpm = 10.5 gpm. That sounds about right.

Most filters will produce around 4 to 5 psid with 10 gpm of hot oil flow.

Quote:
Correction to my original post. I am not certain if the test was single or multipass. I tend to believe it was multipass because it is the testing standard used by Purolator for automotive oil fiters.
Yeah, the single pass rating is higher than the multipass, however I'd say the multipass is the real world measure.

The quoted output of 2.62 gpm @ 500 rpms is the unrestricted flow from the pump (theoretical). Measuring flows through an engine is difficult, therefore you don't see it published; only pump output.

I figured it was the pump only spec. If this engine hits pump relief pressure (75 psi) at 2000 RPM (as you stated earlier), then based on the pump spec the engine is flowing close to (2000/500) x 2.62 gpm = 10.5 gpm. That sounds about right.

Is the 4 to 5 psid for a new (clean filter)? I've seen these numbers before, but wondered if the test is done with clean oil/new filter.

Is the 4 to 5 psid for a new (clean filter)? I've seen these numbers before, but wondered if the test is done with clean oil/new filter.

Yes, with a clean filter. So if the bypass setting was set to say 14 psi, it would give a lot of buffer room for media debris loading and for cold oil start-ups and flow spikes, etc before the bypass valve would operate.

Ford has a design goal for this much flow through the engine. It seems running a higher viscosity oil in this engine spec'd for 5w20 would lead to diminished flow. Diminished flow because of increased resistance to move through the engine. But more importantly, the oil pump will bypass sooner leading to a reduced gpm flow*.

* oil pump relief valve bleeds excess pressure (oil) into a circuit within the pump housing to be recirculated, so the rate of oil being drawn from the sump and out the pump is reduced.

Ford has a design goal for this much flow through the engine. It seems running a higher viscosity oil in this engine spec'd for 5w20 would lead to diminished flow. Diminished flow because of increased resistance to move through the engine. But more importantly, the oil pump will bypass sooner leading to a reduced gpm flow.

Yes, that is true - but only when the pump is at its relief pressure. The pump's pressure relief valve is going to limit the oil pressure to a set value - say it's 75 psi.

If there is 75 psi put on 5w20 oil it will flow X GPMs through the engine. If there is 75 psi put on 20w50 oil it will flow Y GPMs. In this case, Y will be considerably less GPMs than X when the pump is at it's 75 psi relief setting.

Same can be said about cold 5w20 oil vs. hot 5w20 oil. If the oil is cold, and the engine is reved enough to hit pump relief then the flow will be less with the cold thick oil than if the pump hit relief with hot thin oil.

Also, if the revs are low enough to not make the pump hit relief pressure, then the flow will be the same regardless if the oil is hot or cold since the pump is a positive displacement device.

Ford has a design goal for this much flow through the engine. It seems running a higher viscosity oil in this engine spec'd for 5w20 would lead to diminished flow. Diminished flow because of increased resistance to move through the engine. But more importantly, the oil pump will bypass sooner leading to a reduced gpm flow.

Yes, that is true - but only when the pump is at its relief pressure. The pump's pressure relief valve is going to limit the oil pressure to a set value - say it's 75 psi.

If there is 75 psi put on 5w20 oil it will flow X GPMs through the engine. If there is 75 psi put on 20w50 oil it will flow Y GPMs. In this case, Y will be considerably less GPMs than X when the pump is at it's 75 psi relief setting.

Same can be said about cold 5w20 oil vs. hot 5w20 oil. If the oil is cold, and the engine is reved enough to hit pump relief then the flow will be less with the cold thick oil than if the pump hit relief with hot thin oil.

Also, if the revs are low enough to not make the pump hit relief pressure, then the flow will be the same regardless if the oil is hot or cold since the pump is a positive displacement device.

Very well said. I believe the VCT phaser in these engines operate off hydraulic pressure. So within reason, how important is flow. Will running 5w30 vs 5w20 really make a difference in operation (VCT)?

Very well said. I believe the VCT phaser in these engines operate off hydraulic pressure. So within reason, how important is flow. Will running 5w30 vs 5w20 really make a difference in operation (VCT)?

I hope to find out. I will be testing an HDEO 10W30 in my 5.4L and datalogging VCT operation, as well as oil temp and pressure. We'll see. If nothing untoward happens, I'll leave the oil in, maybe running it long term and consolidating my oil stash (I use 10w30 HDEO in some of my farm equipment).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back