Oil Filter Interchangability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't find this topic in former posts. Hope I didn't miss the answer in a place I didn't look.

I have 2 cars who's Oil Filters have the same thread pattern, the same oil seal gasket size. One is longer than the other.

If there is the proper room under the hood, is it safe to use either interchangeably?

1993 Mercury Tracer 1.9 L Engine
and 1998 Toyota Avalon 3.0 L V6

if you look in the European section for the thread 'eao26' you'll see I am using a monstrous oil filter on my saab with no I'll effects. As long as the filter meets all the oem specs and will fit, your good to go.

Thank you for the help!!

After several hours comparing spec's of about 10 oil filter manufacturers, I finally noticed that Hastings (http://www.hastingsfilters.com/ ) has 2 filters they call LF157 (Short Version) and LF134 (Long Version) are the same filter except one is about 1 1/2 " longer than the other.

The Motorcraft FL400S filter that fits the 1.9 is a fine filter and I have used this same filter on many Toyota V6/V8 engines without any ill effects. It actually makes changing the Toyota filter on a Camry V6 a bit easier when using the longer one from Motorcraft.

Anti Drain Back Valve

The magic decoder ring is at

Magic Decoder Ring

and Welcome to our little corner of the universe
welcome2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back