oil filter for 2.2 ecotech

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently bought a 2007 Chevy cobalt with the 2.2 liter engine and was wondering what a good brand of filter to run in it was?

Last edited:
can't go wrong with any of them really.. it's a cartridge type filter. Not much engineering had to go into it.
But AC Delco, Wix, Purolator, Bosch, etc..

I had an '07 LS 4dr auto. Loved it. Only reason I traded it was because my commute can get real dicey in the winter. I sure do miss that Cobalt with gas prices presently at close to $3.25/gal. In regards to oil filters for the Ecotec, I don't think there's a bad one in the bunch. Here's some pics I took a few years ago:
EcotecOF3.jpg

EcotecOF2.jpg

EcotecOF1.jpg

Joel

Actually there are not that many factories that make the Ecotec cartridge filters worldwide, so most companies simply buy from one of these factories (whomever is cheapest at the moment or a long term single supplier) and throw the filter in their own box. Note that some filters will include a new o ring while others do not. These do not have to been changed every time so keep this in mind.

Hengst USA on the right above is one of the best filters but comes without an o ring. Cost under $5 at Advance as an AC Delco. Someone in Poland makes a very nice looking filter for Napa better grade (Gold? around $7) and includes an o ring. Both of these seem to be the best. Purolator does seem to have a filter with their Pure One element paper which I would probably try if on sale.

My Supertech Champion Labs USA made filter (second from right above?) was slightly hour glass shaped with a nice pencil eraser sized hole in it after 7650 miles OLM run in the middle of summer. At least it came with an o ring. I have heard of similar problems with Korean made filters.

The worst filters seem to be made in China and Bulguria. These always look bad before use with very uneven pleads and gluing. Always seem to be squashed down when removed from the cap with holes, rips, and tears in the filter paper.

Originally Posted By: noblite
Would there be any advantage to using a mobil 1 filter?

Advantage: Longer OCI's (10K or more)....but you need to use a good syn like Mobil 1 EP (my current fill), Edge, or Pennzoil Ultra.

No SuperTech!!!

Had TWO blow out in my Mother's '08 Cobalt.

Edit: Filters that blew out were Made in Korea. I did not have an issue with the USA models.
Unfortunately, all I can find now are the former.

Originally Posted By: JRed
Purolator PureOne

I run Pure One's now. Awesome filter for this application. I follow the OLM and this filter will go the distance.

Last edited:
Hi.

Wow really? 2 Supertechs blow out?

Interesting. I've been using Supertech filters ever since I could remember discovering Walmart's oil section.

Use it in my Toyota Tacoma, Acura NSX, Kawasaki ZX-10R...recently acquired an MR2...it will probably get the same food too.

Never had a blow out. Possibly different models of filter I believe. I'm looking at the filters right now...yeah made in the USA

Last edited:
I've ran a variety of these now in my daughter's 2010 Cobalt 2.2 ecotech. IMO, the best one out there is the K&N filter. I also like the Pure 1's and Mobil 1 EP's.

I take care of a friend's 02 Malibu Classic using the same 2.2l. I've always used the puro classic (3-4k ocis w dino) and they've been great. They come with a new o-ring and sturdy construction. They look great upon removal. Couldn't be more happy.

Here are some pics. Classic on left, P1 on right.

2010-12-08_20-27-50_573.jpg

2010-12-08_20-28-24_517.jpg

2010-12-08_20-29-01_881.jpg

2010-12-08_20-29-42_521.jpg

I don't know if you guys can really tell, but the media in th P1 is much thicker than the classic. Case construction is identical, as well as the included o-ring.

Geek sidenote: I just took these photos, loaded them to photobucket, then pasted them into this message ALL on my Droid X!! :^D I also did it all.faster than it would have taken me to take the pics with a traditonal digital camera, load them on a pc, load them to photobucket, then post. Too cool!

I'm running a PureOne right now. It doesn't look like the one posted. The media is more blue/green in color.

For under $8.00. I would choose any of these three.

OEM Hengst
Napa Gold
PureOne

The O ring is not supposed to be replaced, the one from the factory is designed for life. I prefer the AC Delco as the filter is very well built, and made by Hengst, the same company that makes the housing.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
The O ring is not supposed to be replaced...

Regarding oil filter changes, the GM Service Manual for the 2007 Saturn Sky (also EcoTech engine) states: "Inpsect the oil filter cap O-ring seal for damage, replace as necessary".

Originally Posted By: dishdude
The O ring is not supposed to be replaced, the one from the factory is designed for life.

The only O-ring I am aware of that is desinged for life is the O-rings on the Space Shuttle Booster Rockets - but their life is a single use only...........

Originally Posted By: oily boyd

Regarding oil filter changes, the GM Service Manual for the 2007 Saturn Sky (also EcoTech engine) states: "Inpsect the oil filter cap O-ring seal for damage, replace as necessary".

I would agree, replace only if necessary. I'm currently at 100,000 miles and have not replaced mine; it looks good and still appears to fit properly and I have no leaks. Perhaps I'll replace it next time just because I'm at 100K.

Same with the filter cap. I've seen a few that looked like someone took Vise-Grips to them, or maybe tried to chew them off with their teeth. With a little care and the proper socket, the cap should last a long time (Hint - don't use a standard size socket because on some cars the intake runners are in the way and the socket will fit on the cap crooked, and possibly damage it. Use the special low-profile socket).

Also remember to lube the little O-ring on the bottom of the filter with oil before installing the filter back into the engine.

And since I had the picture handy here on my computer, here's my shot of a Pure One and an AC Delco:

010a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back