Oil changes....Mileage vs Months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few vehicles that I drive on a regular basis. As such, none really get a lot of mileage over a 12 month period. For example, the two vehicles I drive the most managed 5300 and 4200 miles respectively in 11 months. My hunting truck may have managed 1000 miles, if that, in the same amount of time.

So, here's my question. What's the limit of time you would go between oil changes, even if you haven't met your mileage limit? Is there any data supporting a max of say, 6 months? Thanks!

12 months is a good place to max out on. Any good synthetic can handle 12 months if the mileage is within its limits.

I already know a bunch of people with cars that rarely get driven, and they only change their oil once per year, which is perfectly fine. 6 months on a synthetic would be too short if only driving 1000 miles.

Last edited:
Right now, I'm only running synthetic in my '02 Jetta, which gets the most mileage of my vehicles. The rest all run dino, with typical oil changes at 3-4k miles. Of course my hunting truck, a '91 Mazda B2600i 4x4, gets changed once a year due to the fact it averages less that 1k miles annually.

I'd do 2-3 years/15,000 miles with an extended capable filter and premium synthetic oil.

I'd be more concerned having an oil filter that had a higher dirt-holding capacity, a thicker gasket, thicker canister build, wire-mesh backed synthetic media, and a silicone ADBV to go the distance.

I won't run anything past a year. only takes a spec of corrosion to start growing in a bearing or somewhere and destroy the package.
My general rule is: Group II, 6 months or 6000 km (here on our dusty mountain roads), Synthetic 1 year no matter what. I have group II in a dozen vehicles of different types and synthetic in my 88 BMW 325ic that gets driven from 2000 to 10000 a year, all trips of 15 miles each way when driven.

My Corvair is still in the breakin stage (2600 km). Next oil change will be synthetic so it goes into the same 12 mo cycle. Haven't been in Tarija do drive it (or the BMW) since July. Going next Sunday where I'll drive one of those two for 60 miles a day for 6 weeks.

If there are lots of short trips or lots of stop starts but not many kilometres ie many of hours on the oil, you may need to consider 6 months max OCI in these extreme conditions.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
12 months is a good place to max out on. Any good synthetic can handle 12 months if the mileage is within its limits.

I already know a bunch of people with cars that rarely get driven, and they only change their oil once per year, which is perfectly fine. 6 months on a synthetic would be too short if only driving 1000 miles.

I would pretty much agree with what was said above.

Originally Posted By: widman
I won't run anything past a year. only takes a spec of corrosion to start growing in a bearing or somewhere and destroy the package.
My general rule is: Group II, 6 months or 6000 km (here on our dusty mountain roads), Synthetic 1 year no matter what. I have group II in a dozen vehicles of different types and synthetic in my 88 BMW 325ic that gets driven from 2000 to 10000 a year, all trips of 15 miles each way when driven.

My Corvair is still in the breakin stage (2600 km). Next oil change will be synthetic so it goes into the same 12 mo cycle. Haven't been in Tarija do drive it (or the BMW) since July. Going next Sunday where I'll drive one of those two for 60 miles a day for 6 weeks.

Are you talking about the oil from Bolivia or USA??? I would have a hard time running Bolivian oil in my lawnmower considering the VOA's you've posted...LOL

Certain oils do state x miles or 1 year or whichever comes first. Could that oil last longer than a year---possibly. Could that oil go beyond the x miles advertised---maybe. I believe the 1 year or x miles applies to many and possibly most but not all people. There will always be exceptions. I also have two vehicles that get driven under 10000 miles a year. I do a yearly OCI. One goes about 7500 miles and the other about 9500.

Last edited:
I've seen some people using group IV/V synthetics hold off 18 months before an oil change because the vehicle may have only been driven 3-5,000 miles during that time.

The UOAs always showed oxidation, TBN, and cSt to be in the safe areas...and they continue to do it.

Although, I stick to the 15,000 miles or one year rule. *AMSOIL's severe service schedule*

I know people using group IV and V synthetics who only change their oil every 2 years. They only put on about 5K a year, city 70% and highway 30% driving in total. However, they do change their oil filters about every six months and top off the oil with the same brew used in the OCI. They do use quality filters like Wix/Napa, P1, Motorcraft and Walmart oil filters.

AFAIK....they have not had any problems and continue with their 2 year OCI's. Some have used the Mobil 1 synthetic oil exclusively since the 1970's and are "brand loyal" and justify the 2 year OCI's to the quality of the oil.

Everyone has their own method and are happy.

The 5 year OCI I posted several months ago came back clean on ordinary Castrol GTX in a vehicle that was used infrequently and for short periods of time.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Originally Posted By: widman

Are you talking about the oil from Bolivia or USA??? I would have a hard time running Bolivian oil in my lawnmower considering the VOA's you've posted...LOL

Talking about what I import from Tulsa.

The problem with many low mileage is short trips. My wife travels from home to the office 1.2 miles. home to supermarket 1.5 miles. It will soon be two years old and has about 5000 miles on it. Sometimes I remember to take it instead of mine when going a couple hundred or so (like tomorrow).

I've driven the BMW 400 miles this year, my Corvair 1600 and my Grand Cherokee about 10,000 or more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back