Oil Change Interval

I don't see how oil that's been in the ground for thousands of years suddenly goes bad at the 1 year mark jut because it's sitting in your engine. I think the "annual oil change" if you aren't driving is just made up, and has no scientific basis.
I suppose you've never seen what happens to crude oil when it's left exposed to air for a period of time.

It's tens of thousands of feet underground... several times deeper than fossils were ever found.
Algae and bacteria for example are the source of oil. There's won't be fossils because that environment predates the time period when more complex organism existed.

Algae and bacteria for example are the source of oil. There's won't be fossils because that environment predates the time period when more complex organism existed.
Methane a building block of the solar system and found in abundance on every planet is probably the source for natural gas And oil. Time heat and pressure create a GTL situation.

Methane a building block of the solar system and found in abundance on every planet is probably the source for natural gas And oil. Time heat and pressure create a GTL situation.
The inorganic theory for the moment, still has some holes which it cannot overcome. The primary one is that no examples have been found on earth. The "Anti-Peak Oil" crowd of course run with it as gospel.

Explain "Peak Oil" please.
It's a theory that production at X price will peak due to a lack of readily accessible deposits. Remaining deposits will be more expensive to reach and of lower yield.

The "Anti-Peak Oil" camp says that's nonsense and use the abiotic theory of crude oil as one of their pieces supporting that assertion. Of course they generally distract by using a strawman that Peak oil proponents are focused only on supply and they themselves focus only on the supply of oil rather than the relationship between supply and price to extract.

Last edited:
It's a theory that production at X price will peak due to a lack of readily accessible deposits. Remaining deposits will be more expensive to reach and of lower yield.

The "Anti-Peak Oil" camp says that's nonsense and use the abiotic theory of crude oil as one of their pieces supporting that assertion. Of course they generally distract by using a strawman that Peak oil proponents are focused only on supply and they themselves focus only on the supply of oil rather than the relationship between supply and price to extract.
Pretty good explanation. I vividly remember that it was a hot topic in the first decade of the 2000s and that it worked perfectly well to justify high fuel prices. As long as people are on their toes they will pony up and pay. It's not like we have a choice in the matter. On the flip side, people are busy little bees. All they wanna do is drive and fly, day and night. Sometimes I wonder where all the people drive every day, at all hours, because they're sure not driving to or from work. I know that my family and I only drive when we absolutely need to do something, like go to the store, work, or take the kids to/from daycare.

Well, I know where not to go for and introduction to petroleum geology.
274238178661eb19d84110e4fbaeef569b590ed020a621857f5d16e08eee7925.jpg

the abiotic theory of crude oil
When working for Mobil Oil, the petroleum engineers I flew with all believed in the abiogenic (inorganic) formation of crude oil. Crude resided in sand and shell beds as it is simply a matter of a convenient reservoir. They clearly believed the formation was from far below the oil reservoirs and would use the fact that the reservoirs filled back up as example #1.

Of note, oil is found in abundance at depths at which it is believed no life ever existed. The high hydrocarbon content found on other planets seems to indicate inorganic origin exists.

It should be no surprise there are biomarkers in oil. As life is ubiquitous on Earth, along with plenty of microbes that feed on oil.

I lean towards the inorganic origins. Just how many fatty, non decomposed dinosaurs would it take to produce the stunning quantities of NG and oil we have?

Last edited:
When working for Mobil Oil, the petroleum engineers I flew with all believed in the abiogenic (inorganic) formation of crude oil. Crude resided in sand and shell beds as it is simply a matter of a convenient reservoir. They clearly believed the formation was from far below the oil reservoirs and would use the fact that the reservoirs filled back up as example #1.

Of note, oil is found in abundance at depths at which it is believed no life ever existed. The high hydrocarbon content found on other planets seems to indicate inorganic origin exists.

It should be no surprise there are biomarkers in oil. As life is ubiquitous on Earth, along with plenty of microbes that feed on oil.

I lean towards the inorganic origins. Just how many fatty, non decomposed dinosaurs would it take to produce the stunning quantities of NG and oil we have?
Seeing as the predominate theory states that it's microbes which predate the dinosaurs by millions of years my guess is that the answer is zero. ;)

Seeing as the predominate theory states that it's microbes which predate the dinosaurs by millions of years my guess is that the answer is zero. ;)
Haha, funny. I'd respond with: If it were not for those microbes, we'd have twice as much oil.

On a serious note, we've not been able to replicate microbes that die en masse in quantities so huge as to create a puddle of oil, not to mention literal oceans of petroleum. It boggles the mind to consider what could have happened.

Haha, funny. I'd respond with: If it were not for those microbes, we'd have twice as much oil.

On a serious note, we've not been able to replicate microbes that die en masse in quantities so huge as to create a puddle of oil, not to mention literal oceans of petroleum. It boggles the mind to consider what could have happened.
Ya. Here's a good read which says it really doesn't matter because cost/to extract is what rules the day. If it's too expensive to extract it from an economic perspective it doesn't exist.

Back