Oil Change Interval

What is your oils TBN and how does the fuel dilution look? If they are both in range I'd go for 18 months or at least until early October.

If out of warranty I would go as long as 18 months or so. I have done that successfully in the past. In warranty, follow manufacturer's instructions.

I would decide based on usage during this OCI. Mostly long highway runs where it fully warms up? Run it longer. Lots of short trips? Change it now.

If it were me, I would change it every spring, after the last frost. If you put less than 3000 miles on in a year, you could go 18 months, but I would change it each spring.

picard-oil.jpg

I’d go once a year in the spring. Winter driving, especially short trips, really contaminates oil with water vapor, and if direct injection, fuel dilution is a bit worse.

My daughters bmw sat for just at a year with fresh 5w 40 castrol with only 200 miles on it. 1 year later I got it running again and left the 1 year oil in it. Only problem was fuel pump died within a week most likely due to olf fuel

I don't see how oil that's been in the ground for thousands of years suddenly goes bad at the 1 year mark jut because it's sitting in your engine. I think the "annual oil change" if you aren't driving is just made up, and has no scientific basis.

oil that's been in the ground for thousands of years
How do you know it's been in the ground for thousands of years? Maybe most of the oil that's pumped out of the ground is a few weeks old, at the most.

Millions and millions of years. No additives coming from the wellhead, or at best, they're unrecognizable. And the inside of an engine can't replicate the conditions in a porous or fractured body of rock hundreds of feet underground.

Back