2AZ-FE Toyota engine burning oil; additive to reduce consumption?

I bought an 08 Camry last month. Changed the oil when I brought it. I used Full synthetic 5w-20. I know the 2AZ-FE is known to burn oil. I have about 700 miles on the new oil. Checked the oil level and it's right in the middle of the full and low mark. Any way to reduce oil consumption? Maybe tossing in an additive? Cars got 143k miles on it.

High mileage oil is an option I'd pick over a 3rd party additive. They use seal conditioning esters to help reduce or stop seal-related leaks. I recently compared all the major full synthetic versions here:

Before you buy anything, I would check with your local Toyota dealer parts counter. Toyota dealers use to stock a product that they used and recommended for oil consumption issues on some Toyota engines that had stuck piston rings. Remember there are lots of things on an engine that can cause excessive oil consumtion......stuck rings, worn valve guide seals, PCV system issues etc.

You first want to make sure you can determine what is the cause of the consumption issue before you spend hard earned $$$$$$ on additives that promise to solve your issue, when in fact many may not work for the issue your engine has.

I don't know much about this particular engine series, but if stuck rings are the core issue, then most certainly a dedicated cleaning product regime will help.

To start, I am going to recommend HPL's EC; use as directed. After that, then consider using HPL's PCMO oil; it's loaded with esters and ANs which will greatly aid in cleaning the engine parts. Frequent filter changes until the regime indicates the cleaning is done (using filter dissections).

Last edited:
HPL EC, BG 109, B12 piston soaks, you've got options
I covered many of them when I experimented on my own 2AZ
Feel free to step it up to a 5w30 or 0w40

Valvoline is supposed to come out with Restore and Protect oil next year. Ads show it as a piston cleaning oil.

I had great luck with a B12 piston soak after fixing the PCV on a '17 Audi Q3. It was using over two quarts in 400 miles. Last I heard its at 1400 miles and no low oil warning. I'd love to check the oil level myself and add some Rislone, but the owner is an ADD female.

Valvoline is supposed to come out with Restore and Protect oil next year. Ads show it as a piston cleaning oil.

I had great luck with a B12 piston soak after fixing the PCV on a '17 Audi Q3. It was using over two quarts in 400 miles. Last I heard its at 1400 miles and no low oil warning. I'd love to check the oil level myself and add some Rislone, but the owner is an ADD female.
Berryman B12 or BG?

Berryman B12 or BG?
Berryman's. I ran two cans through the mid stroke cylinders into the pan over 2 days rotating the engine with a wrench every time I added more B12. Started it after confirming cylinders were dryish and ran it for about 5 minutes under 2000rpm. It started a little hard and after running a bit it started to misfire, and I shut it off. I drained the oil which was a little gritty, left the fill cap open overnight, and changed the spark plugs. The next day I did an oil/filter change, drove it easy for about 1/2 hour, and then did three or four 0-80 WOT pulls. The owner is delighted. She thought she was going to need a new car.

On this guys example the engine was run long enough with stuck rings that the cylinder was damaged. Hopefully you've caught yours early, and your oil usage doesn't sound too extreme. Go to 12:00

Piston soaks are the way to go with that engine. Also change your PCV valve and the hose as it is probably shot too. I would get that from the dealer. After the piston soak, try a fogging oil to add some oil to the cylinders. The soak will strip the oil from the cylinder walls and a lot of the hard starting problems I believe is from the lack of oil on the walls.

Ehh wouldn't make sense to rebuild the motor for me. Paid $3k~ for the car. Might just use 5W-30 and add oil whenever it burns.
thats usually the go to for these. there are bitog users who are going through something similar. i think id contact HPL and see if they have any first hand experience with the issue and solution (how long if anything)?

Last edited:
Isn't that way too heavy?

It’s a 30 weight, definitely not too heavy for that engine. It is a heavy 30, but still 30. Up to 50 weight is suggested based on climate.

Here is the Toyota owner’s manual guide on oil selection for that engine (2008 MY). This is from the Australian DM, where oil selection is based on what’s best for the engine and not what conforms to the political demands of the government. This is for my’s 2007 to 2011 and can be verified here:
https://toyotamanuals.com.au/document/landing_page/camry-owners-manual-jun-07-feb-09

FF765A26-310D-4305-A626-FCA6515A7AEB.jpeg

I'm a broken record at this point but I'll say it again anyway: my 2009 Scion xB with the 2AZ-FE engine went from burning over a quart in 300 miles to not burning at all as the result of two aggressive piston soaks with Berryman's B12. It's not an exaggeration to say it literally saved my engine.

Back