Oil Brand doesn't Matter -Consumer Reports Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind in this original CR test that the synthetic was run at twice the OCI as the conventional and yet with the exact same wear!

Yep, and I did the same 6,000 mile OCIs on conventional QS in my taxi fleet in the 1980s. And synthetic at the time up here was far, far more expensive (about six times the cost of conventional at the time). The engines didn't wear out, and they all went into the hundreds of thousands of miles.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Yep, and I did the same 6,000 mile OCIs on conventional QS in my taxi fleet in the 1980s. And synthetic at the time up here was far, far more expensive (about six times the cost of conventional at the time). The engines didn't wear out, and they all went into the hundreds of thousands of miles.

Like they say, most engine wear happens during start ups.

Cold ones, I would add.

For what I can see this is the only test I have seen here over the past 5 years that a independent lab measured the parts after a breakdown of the engines. The oil mfg tests are useless in my opinion. So as many have said all along less than 6k dino vs syn. no difference. This is a group that was not paid by the oil co. and has really no ax to grind. I believe if they did the same test again same results. If you want to donate to the high profits of these oil companies it is your choice!! If it is PYB or PP under 6 k for the most part tie game.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
This has probably been posted before, but I just read the Consumer Reports Article where they tested oils using New York City Taxi Cabs and a 6,000 mile OCI. Here is the article:

May take sometime to load.

Very interesting, seems a very good test, except for their omitted lack of cold start-ups. They even changed the lifters/camshafts from roller to flat to accelerate wear! They tested Mobil 1 and found no differences. Says a lot for the state of modern oils !

I will still be using synthetic oil in my cars: Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1 EP, Pennzoil Ultra.

My Malware protection blocked it. Said it was a VIRUS!

I actually thought the same about conventional motor oils, but not synthetics. There is probably not much real life difference between API SN conventional motor oils. Most will do fine if used as recommended by the car manufacturer or OLM. As for synthetics, there can be considerable amount of variation. There are the store brand synthetics, minor and major brand synthetics, with differing base stocks and such, run of the mill synthetics like Peak and G-Oil, and then there are the "boutique" synthetics like Amsoil and Redline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back