Office 2010 install (1) win7 (2) XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have three computers I'm going to install Office 2010 pro on. One XP has word 97 the other word 2003 and the win 7 has 2 month Office trial. Should I remove the old office programs first? My Daughter has XP with 97 word and they don't seem to be supporting it, nor the 2003 word that I'm using.

I also see a reference to some fix for compatibility of different Office versions. I'm also concerned with how the older office files be treated?

Any tips or links are appreciated.

2003 is still supported and 2010 will handle all older file formats. You won't be able to install 1 copy of Office on all 3 computers though unless you bought a copy for each.

I have a three pack install kit. Sorry I think it's 2002 Word. The 2002 has given me errors that say it's not supported, or something similar.

So formats should not be a problem on Win XP? Does it makes sense to delete the old programs first then install the new Office?

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Does it makes sense to delete the old programs first then install the new Office?

I may be nitpicking the wording, but you do not want to delete a program. I interpret that as deleting the directory containing the program's files. Rather you want to uninstall the program via Windows Add/Remove Programs Control Panel applet. I personally would suggest uninstalling the old version first.

I don't think there ever was an Office 2002. There was 97, 2000, Office XP, 2003, 2007, and now 2010.
Whatever it is uninstall it and don't just delete.

Last edited:
I could have got a legit "Office" through work for $20
I didn't do it and lost out - company offer expired.
So being a cheap turd and a day late, I downloaded Open Office. Not bad for what I need if for, which is for little misc.stuff.

OpenOffice all the freakin' way.

Seriously some of the best free software that has ever happened.

openoffice is great unless you use it all day at work.. or for some specific things like spreadsheets that you have to email around.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Windows Add/Remove Programs Control Panel applet. I personally would suggest uninstalling the old version first.

That's what I'm using. Did not make it clear.

It's Works Suite 2002. Not Office, my bad.....

Yeah, just take the old office, works, or whatever out and install the new version. You won't have any trouble with file compatibility, the new word reads all previous versions of both word and works.

Well I got burned.......It did not let me register and the Microsoft tech said that it's not for resale. I got it off Ebay.......my bad.

Time to get a refund and try again. The guy had no feedback.

I guess I will find someone with better feedback.

Quote:
Well I got burned.......It did not let me register and the Microsoft tech said that it's not for resale. I got it off Ebay.......my bad.

Man, I hate people that sell garbage. Sorry to hear that it didn't work.

Uninstall any previous version of Office. Problems can occur if you don't. My work PC is screwed because some genius thought he'd 'upgrade' Office without uninstalling the previous version. Now Office won't update at all due to a known issue regarding running two versions at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back