OCI Recommendation for street driven track car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would actually be more worried about your slushbox surviving the open tracking with that very high stall converter in it.

I HOPE you have a HUMUNGO trans cooler on it, and are using a top drawer fluid in that poor thing.

Trans uses a cooler off a semi-tractor and then passes theough the stock heat exchanger. LOL
Amsoil is the atf. Trans temps stay below 200F.

Originally Posted By: GutsyGecko
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: GutsyGecko
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Is that 75psi at 1,500 hot, IE, the same as you have when it is 15psi at idle?

It'll still build the 75 psi, but it moves towards needing 2-2.5k to do it.

Thanks for the clarification.

Still pretty low RPM to be generating that kind of oil pressure. Makes me hesitant to recommend something thicker really, though I doubt it would hurt. M1 0w-40 is a fantastic oil but I'm not really sure it is needed here. What kind of power are you making if you don't mind me asking?

Power is somewhere in the 350 area. About 75 horse over stock. Not a crazy build, but very good power from a 281 cubic inch engine. The 4.6 mod motors have a VERY high volume oil pump. Anything over idle builds tons of pressure.

Yup, I'm a fan of them as well. I had posted about their oil pumps on here before actually relative to the relief pressure but it is always nice to see some real world examples of how quickly different engine/pump combos can get onto the relief, which in your case is at a lower RPM than I expected at the oil temperature noted.

M1 0w-40 is likely heavier than necessary given the information you've provided. That said, it won't hurt anything using it and it would provide you with some additional headroom if you manage to push oil temperatures further. It is used by many OEM's in the type of usage you are subjecting your engine to, so it is a "safe" bet so to speak.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Do you have an oil pressure gauge? If so, I would use that to determine how thick the oil needs to be. ................

Is this in your OEM guide as process for oil selection ?
33.gif
49.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back