Obtained my Pennzoil Ultra Finally !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked local walmart oil isle with the normal dismay of no PU in 5 quart jugs... so I see a red sticker at the bottom of the isle $28 with Pennzoil Platinum, and I'm think just above this the new jugs are rolled back to $20 ?? So I gander in and low and behold PU 5w-20 two 5 quart jugs, I snatched both. I think $28 is the going rate for this oil, and I have been waiting patient for the 5 quart oil change special jugs compared to the one quart containers $6.90 to $28... I'm thinking someone hid these, or some walmart associate just stuck it in front... I will take up for the associates in this instance as they keep the oil isle in nice orderly fashion. Well I have several thousand miles to go before I change... now I need to pick up a filterto go the long haul....

I noticed many many roll back prices on the oil isle, PP at $20 is a great deal, also pretty much all the Mobil 1 was rolled back 2-4 bucks. I know yet another PU thread, but this is more geared to the fact that I refuse to pay for the quart containers verses the 5 quart oil change special at a substantial savings to boot. Now I wonder if I can get 25k out of this super duper hyper kyper oil, I bet this stuff have nano particles, maybe even machines to run around my engine fixing any little imperfections in the substrate, flexing the rings to perfection in sealing ability etc etc... All jokes aside I would look hard at choosing PU if my local walmart would stock it in 5 quart jugs as apposed to one quart containers.

I just picked up 2 jugs today and noticed same thing. They roll backed the price from 23.00 to 20.50 on PP. PU is still 28.00 here. I ran PP 5-30 in by Suburban for almost 5000 miles and it did good so since its summer I thought I would try the 10-30 in PP. I bought mobil 1 filter first time and also same thing this time. The other jug is for my wifes car going to try it in it also now. I bought the mobil 1 filter for it also.

As for 25K, not even. PU is not a long drain oil. I wouldn't go past 8K with PP or PU. They are both very good oils but not for the longer OCI.

Alittle early on it not being a long drain oil. A few more uoa should help in that category, and the tbn of 13 lends itself to the fact it just might be. All Pennzoil seems to be great oils, with the new pyb almost having a better add pack than some current syn oil. I would go past 8k if your driving permits a longer oci.
34.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
As for 25K, not even. PU is not a long drain oil. I wouldn't go past 8K with PP or PU. They are both very good oils but not for the longer OCI.

Disagree. PU is just as capable if not more so than M1 EP. PP is just as long drain capable as M1.

Originally Posted By: buster
tig1 said:

Disagree. PU is just as capable if not more so than M1 EP. PP is just as long drain capable as M1. [/quot

Buster, do you know something Pennzoil doesn't about thair oil. They make no claim at all to my knowledge about long OCI. Again PP and PU are fine products(I would use them if No M1 at 8K OCI)but the remark about M1 EP is a little puzzleing. I have no critizism at all against Pennz products, but no need to compare to M1 or any other oil.

pennzoil has stated numerous times that they recommend you go by the manufacturers OCI. They came up with an average of 4000 miles based on different OCI from different manufacturers.

8k is sissy stuff for me on OCI as I run conventional out to 7500 miles, and have went over several times. I will also admit to my accord 2.3 L engine being very easy on oil, however from the reading, research etc I have done on PU I have no problem at all setting a benchmark for PU at Mobil 1 EP goals... after all Pennzoil did say they stand behind any manufacture warranty for their oil to hold up to OCI ability... I did shoot 25k out to the stars to be honest I'm looking at a true 15k OCI on this oil, if I go over a bit I have no worries at all.

Im sure this is true for tig1 and his own situation. The following is not intended to pick on him in particular.

I have a problem with these kind of blanket statements. Some engines and driving cycles will kill conventional 5W-30 in 3,000 miles while in another engine under different conditions it will go 13,000 miles.

I highly doubt you would need to change PU 5,000 miles sooner than your average conventional.

For the same reason I have problems with calling the 3,000 mile OCI a myth as some engines can really chew up conventional 5W-30 in 3000 miles under the right conditions.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
Some engines and driving cycles will kill conventional 5W-30 in 3,000 miles while in another engine under different conditions it will go 13,000 miles.
Exactly...I think this is really why SOPUS doesn't want to market their oil as extended drain. Hard to "guarantee" an OCI with varied driving style, and engine/maintenance upkeep which is likely why they went for the 4k "limited warranty" for their lubrication coverage, most manufacturers have 2 maintenance tables, "normal" driving (7,500 mile OCI) and the "Severe" (3,000 mile OCI) - so by guaranteeing 4k it's a better ball park.

Regarding Mobil 1 and it's "EP" extended drain oil, I'd be curious how or if they'd honor a claim if you took a vehicle that say has been on conventional OCI's (3-7k OCI's) it's whole lifespan, and filled with Mobil 1 EP and say, lubrication problems occured.

SOPUS likely just doesn't want to take the risk of having to buy someone a new engine :p

Im sure this is true for tig1 and his own situation. The following is not intended to pick on him in particular.

I have a problem with these kind of blanket statements. Some engines and driving cycles will kill conventional 5W-30 in 3,000 miles while in another engine under different conditions it will go 13,000 miles.

I highly doubt you would need to change PU 5,000 miles sooner than your average conventional.

For the same reason I have problems with calling the 3,000 mile OCI a myth as some engines can really chew up conventional 5W-30 in 3000 miles under the right conditions.

I've read this three times and still not sure what you are saying.

PU is not a long drain oil.

Based on marketing? Ultra's starting TBN is higher and TBN retention may be better than M1EP.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
Some engines and driving cycles will kill conventional 5W-30 in 3,000 miles while in another engine under different conditions it will go 13,000 miles.
Exactly...I think this is really why SOPUS doesn't want to market their oil as extended drain. Hard to "guarantee" an OCI with varied driving style, and engine/maintenance upkeep which is likely why they went for the 4k "limited warranty" for their lubrication coverage, most manufacturers have 2 maintenance tables, "normal" driving (7,500 mile OCI) and the "Severe" (3,000 mile OCI) - so by guaranteeing 4k it's a better ball park.

Regarding Mobil 1 and it's "EP" extended drain oil, I'd be curious how or if they'd honor a claim if you took a vehicle that say has been on conventional OCI's (3-7k OCI's) it's whole lifespan, and filled with Mobil 1 EP and say, lubrication problems occured.

SOPUS likely just doesn't want to take the risk of having to buy someone a new engine :p

Here's the warranty link. They do have the right to examine the engine and maint. records. XM is not foolish with these claims. Besides I do not think many oil companies have purchased many engines. Apparently XM thinks their EP oils will protect engines within the guidlines of their warranty. Here's the link.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance_Warranty.aspx

Originally Posted By: daman
PU is a fine oil as is M1 EP but would not do 25k with either,no way.

I completly agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back