Observation from using P1 filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil in my '99 Corolla about 700 miles ago with M1 0W-30 and also used a Purolator Pureone filter. I have used the M1 for the past year, but this is my first use of the P1 filter. Up to now I have always used Toyota OEM filters. We have had some cooler mornings this past week and I have made an interesting observation. Before, when using the Toyota filters, I would start the car first thing in the morning and the idle would start low and gradually increase. Now, when the car is started cold, the engine immediately revs up to a normal cold start idle. The only thing I have done differently that I can attribute this to is the oil filter. Is it possible that the PureOne is allowing the car to start and idle faster in the cooler weather?

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
Is it possible that the PureOne is allowing the car to start and idle faster in the cooler weather?

I doubt it ... probably just coincidental.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Is it possible that the PureOne is allowing the car to start and idle faster in the cooler weather?

I doubt it ... probably just coincidental.

+1 I agree that it is just coincidental. The Purolator Pure 1 is a very good filter and doubt that it would cause your engine to Rev higher in cooler weather.

I changed the oil in my '99 Corolla about 700 miles ago with M1 0W-30 and also used a Purolator Pureone filter. I have used the M1 for the past year, but this is my first use of the P1 filter. Up to now I have always used Toyota OEM filters. We have had some cooler mornings this past week and I have made an interesting observation. Before, when using the Toyota filters, I would start the car first thing in the morning and the idle would start low and gradually increase. Now, when the car is started cold, the engine immediately revs up to a normal cold start idle. The only thing I have done differently that I can attribute this to is the oil filter. Is it possible that the PureOne is allowing the car to start and idle faster in the cooler weather?

My cars do the same thing in colder weather, and they idle a little longer at a higher speed when its cold. They're programmed to do that, the oil filter has nothing to do with it at all.

I agree that the oil filter wouldn't effect the idle speed.

Are Pureone's thought to be a little more restrictive than other filters (less cold flow)?

Originally Posted By: pbm

Are Pureone's thought to be a little more restrictive than other filters (less cold flow)?

No.

Actually they are thought to be one of the better flowing filters due to the large amount of media.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Actually they are thought to be one of the better flowing filters due to the large amount of media.

I would think that less media would equal better flow (less restriction)...

I would think that less media would equal better flow (less restriction)...

The less media area there is, the more restrictive it will be to flow (if the same exact media is used). 20 sq-in of media will be way more restrictive than 200 sq-in of media when the same viscosity of oil volume is being pushed through the area.

Some media might be more restrictive per square inch ... so even with more media area it could be more restrictive than a filter with less media area that flows better per square inch.

For my truck, the PureOne PL14610, I think it is, does have more media than than any other I tried and cut open for the same application.
It's a small filter on the outside but had more actual media than a lot of larger filters.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

No.

Nice answer! Simple and direct.

We have used dozens of P1's here and have nothing but respect for their performance in our application. They have an amazing capacity due to tons of element crammed into a tiny cylinder!

Nothing wrong with them at all IMO.

Update: We have had some cold mornings here, in the low 30s(don't laugh, that is cold by Texas standards). Anyway, the Corolla with the P1 filter not only starts with a higher initial idle, but the cold start chatter is gone. The Toyota OEM filter would make the engine seem like it was lugging for the first 20 seconds on a cold start and cause the engine to chatter for about the first mile of driving.

Bottom line ... I am very impressed with the P1 filter and will continue to use them. I wish I would have used them sooner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back