Oatmeal

Yeah that’s what extra freezer space is for, refrigerator doesn’t work for grain but a good sealed package + freezer can keep it from going rancid a very long time.

I too prefer the small packages but sadly the price is a lot higher for the amount I go through in the winter.
Ah well good luck.
Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that and will look into it. I've recently restructured my freezer space and there would be room for some grains.

I eat a little oatmeal, maybe 4 tablespoons, uncooked and cut with 50% bran. I mix this with nuts and seeds, a little inulin, some berries, and nut milk. I make sure my oats have not been treated with glyphosate.

Biggest tip don't over eat out meal. I think most people are clueles what a serving size really is.
Oatmeal itself has little or no sugar, high fiber, you can indulge and eat as much as you want. It will fill your stomach and make you feel full long before it bombs you with too many calories or sugar.

For example: Bob's Red Mill Extra Thick Rolled Whole Grain Oats is what I eat. The bag says:
serving size: 1/2 cup
calories: 190
total sugars: 1 gram
fiber: 4 grams
protein: 6 grams
total fat: 3.5 grams

That 1/2 cup of oatmeal is cooked with 1 cup of water for a total serving volume of 1 1/2 cups. Go ahead and eat 2 or 3 servings, if you can stuff that much down. Especially if you're going out for a long hike or bike ride. It's all good for you.

What makes "oatmeal" unhealthy is some of the stuff people put in it: syrup, cream, butter, etc. For me, the additives are almond milk, unsweetened cinnamon and berries.

My local Costco has been re-stocked with Quick Cooking (7 minutes) Bob's Red Mill Organic Steel Cut Oats in the 112 oz package for $11.99. I bought three packages.

Oatmeal itself has little or no sugar, high fiber, you can indulge and eat as much as you want. It will fill your stomach and make you feel full long before it bombs you with too many calories or sugar.

For example: Bob's Red Mill Extra Thick Rolled Whole Grain Oats is what I eat. The bag says:

That 1/2 cup of oatmeal is cooked with 1 cup of water for a total serving volume of 1 1/2 cups. Go ahead and eat 2 or 3 servings, if you can stuff that much down. Especially if you're going out for a long hike or bike ride. It's all good for you.

What makes "oatmeal" unhealthy is some of the stuff people put in it: syrup, cream, butter, etc. For me, the additives are almond milk, unsweetened cinnamon and berries.
I don't know... if I eat oatmeal for breakfast (no sugar added) I'm starving by lunch much worse than if I skipped breakfast altogether.

I eat a little oatmeal, maybe 4 tablespoons, uncooked and cut with 50% bran. I mix this with nuts and seeds, a little inulin, some berries, and nut milk. I make sure my oats have not been treated with glyphosate.
I'd appreciate it if you'd elaborate on that statement. Are you able to determine that your oats are glyphosate-free as opposed to not being treated with glyphosate? What is your source for the oats? Any particular brand you suggest? Thanks!

I'd appreciate it if you'd elaborate on that statement. Are you able to determine that your oats are glyphosate-free as opposed to not being treated with glyphosate? What is your source for the oats? Any particular brand you suggest? Thanks!
I believe you enjoy Bob's Red Mill products. Their oats are untreated as are all products that bear the USDA Organic seal. Well, almost. Technically, 5% of the product could be non-organic. Don't ask me why. That's the best approval you can find in this country. If you want a more controlled product and more rigorous testing you need to look elsewhere. Most products that are made from untreated grain will state so on the packaging. Without the USDA Organic logo, it could all be lies.

I don't know... if I eat oatmeal for breakfast (no sugar added) I'm starving by lunch much worse than if I skipped breakfast altogether.
High fiber vegetarian foods like oatmeal have lower calorie density than animal products, like the typical American eggs & bacon breakfast. The benefit is you can eat until you are full and it's not a lot of calories. And the high fiber helps regulate your glucose levels so you get steady energy. The drawback is you get hungry again... if that happens, well, you know what to do ;)

The previous bag, I accidentally bought the oat "groats" kind which is a lot like cracked wheat instead of cut in slices like traditional oatmeal. It's got a chewier texture but takes way longer to cook.
I've enjoyed groats frequently. One tip to shorten cooking time is to soak the groats or steel-cut oats in hot water overnight. I'll boil some H2O and pour in the oats, cover the pot, and come back in time for breakfast. Reheat for a few minutes and maybe add some additional liquid, and Bob's your uncle.

I believe you enjoy Bob's Red Mill products. Their oats are untreated as are all products that bear the USDA Organic seal. Well, almost. Technically, 5% of the product could be non-organic. Don't ask me why. That's the best approval you can find in this country. If you want a more controlled product and more rigorous testing you need to look elsewhere. Most products that are made from untreated grain will state so on the packaging. Without the USDA Organic logo, it could all be lies.
My curiosity was stimulated by this post:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/oatmeal.373910/post-6632690

and that's why I phrased my questions to you as I did.

That's because of the high carb to protein ratio.
If you choose something with more fat and protein to accompany it, you'd easily feel satiated until lunch time.

That's because of the high carb to protein ratio.
If you choose something with more fat and protein to accompany it, you'd easily feel satiated until lunch time.
In fact just eat the protein and fats unless you are going to be getting a serious workout in no need for most people getting carbs for your breakfast.

My curiosity was stimulated by this post:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/oatmeal.373910/post-6632690

and that's why I phrased my question
I think it was Quaker Oats who said they couldn't guarantee that their product was not made from oats treated with glyphosate

It's funny how they deflect and try to mislead by saying

Quoted from https://contact.pepsico.com/quaker/article/glysophate-dosage-infographic

Quaker does not use glyphosate, but it is commonly used by oat growers throughout the industry. Once Quaker receives oats from the farms, we rigorously clean them following our stringent internal processes (including de-hulling, cleaning, roasting, and flaking).

I suppose, testing for glyphosate isn't done because they know they will find it. :ROFLMAO:

Regarding Bob's Red Mill

If there's a USDA Organic seal on the product it must be glyphosate-free. Not all of Bpb's products have the seal.

Last edited:
I enjoy a small bowl of Australia Harvest oatmeal along with some additional protein. It’s probably not available in the US. I’ve seen a brand called Red Tractor but never tried it.

Interesting you left out the carb number of top my head must push 40grams . Every other but the main one Interesting

Interesting you left out the carb number of top my head must push 40grams . Every other but the main one Interesting
There’s 40 grams of glucose and then there is 40 grams of acid resistant starch.
Both have the same calories but…

Slow digesting carbs reduce the glucose spike that pegs hunger cravings and messes up metabolism.

Not perfect but one is better than the other

I was introduced to "Irish oatmeal" at a local restaurant that closed a few years ago. But when I asked what their secret was, they told me nothing other than the time it took to cook. And over the years I've burned a lot of that stuff forgetting that it was on the stove. Once it gets thick it isn't freely moving and then will char where it sticks to the bottom if one forgets to stir.

It's like anything, where it can be cooked quickly and then once boiling turn it down since it's not going to get any hotter.

One short cut might be a pressure cooker, and that won't burn with the right setting. Some use a slow cooker overnight. But I usually do it on the stove and will cook until boiling and then turn it completely off. Then leave it overnight in the fridge where it will properly swell up. Then finally cook it in the morning until it's boiling and it should be just right.. That gives the proper texture without having to wait for an hour of tediously stirring it under low heat.

I just copied the nutritional info from the label. Computing, total carbs should be 33.6 grams.
That is:
3.5 grams of fat @ 9 cals / gram = 31.5 cals, 16.6 % of cals
6 grams of protein @ 4 cals / gram = 24 cals, 12.6 % of cals
190 - 31.5 - 24 = 134.5 cals remaining, must be carbohydrate
134.5 / 4 cals / gram = 33.6 grams of carbs, or 71% of total carbs

The point is that all carbs are not created equal. Carbs range from sugars which are bad for you, to fiber which is good for you (fiber is a carbohydrate). Only 1 gram of sugar so we have 33.6 - 1 = 32.6 grams of carbs that are not sugars, 4 grams of which are fiber so that makes 28.6 grams of complex (non-sugar, non-fiber) carbs.

Oatmeal is one of the healthiest foods you can eat.

Back