NRA's Announcement of Gun Violence in Schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
What do you think? They put armed agents on airplanes after 911 - and that's "just in case" a terrorist gets by the TSA (pretty unlikely). This sounds like a solution that would work. I had a feeling schools would someday become a very "locked down" environment if you want to keep kids safe from themselves and crazy people.

Let's face it ... society is going more nuts everyday, and it's going to get worse unless some measures are taken.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NRA+announcment+on+school+shootings

Problem is they "lock down" after the bad guy is in, herd mentality. Don't teach kids how to think tell them what to think. I'm old but when I went to school I was taught how to reason and solve problems.

Smoky the venerable

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Problem is they "lock down" after the bad guy is in, herd mentality.

Still have the armed guard(s) to take care of business inside the locked down area if need be. Obviously part of the equation is to metal detector/etc screen all going in before the lock-down. No different than going through the airport with TSA and getting in a "locked down" airplane.

I think we need armed military personnel with combat experience guarding our kids. Even special forces type who know how to make a bad guy stop existing

If you were a parent with kids in school, wouldn't you feel better if you knew your kids were under protection of a pro? How would you feel if they all of a sudden took away the TSA at the airports and the armed agents on airplanes and just left the door wide open or terrorists? Would you still feel good flying? Think about it.

It's too bad our society has to morf into this stuff, but sickness in our society is growing and has caused it to move in this direction. It's only going to get worse if nothing is done.

As an educator, I think it's safe to say that posting heavily armed guards everywhere in all schools is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard of.

Then again, we're already implementing pretty much all of the other worst ideas, so why not?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
If you were a parent with kids in school, wouldn't you feel better if you knew your kids were under protection of a pro? How would you feel if they all of a sudden took away the TSA at the airports and the armed agents on airplanes and just left the door wide open or terrorists? Would you still feel good flying? Think about it.

It's too bad our society has to morf into this stuff, but sickness in our society is growing and has caused it to move in this direction. It's only going to get worse if nothing is done.

I am a parent. And I want highly trained killers, american patriots, with children guarding my kiddos. Not some old man asleep at his post.
Lets get real here.. bad guys are always going to have guns. The solution is to kill tthe bad guys with extreme efficiency before a kid gets hurt

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
As an educator, I think it's safe to say that posting heavily armed guards everywhere in all schools is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard of.

Then again, we're already implementing pretty much all of the other worst ideas, so why not?

Ur right. Just hide the kids in a closet and wait to get ur head blown off.

To be honest having someone with a gun in a school would still be a reactionary approach to the situation and really wouldn't have helped in this or any similar situation. By the time the one person with a gun gets there it's probably too late.

To be proactive would be getting these types of kids/adults the help they obviously need.

Wouldn't it be better to reduce the number of bad guys in the first place?

There are ways to do that. Other countries are implementing them. We should learn a thing or two from them.

So instead just leave the front door wide open so another mass school shooting can happen? What is your solution?

Originally Posted By: bepperb

To be honest having someone with a gun in a school would still be a reactionary approach to the situation and really wouldn't have helped in this or any similar situation. By the time the one person with a gun gets there it's probably too late.

If you don't let the bad guy in, and he shows up at the school then you call forces to eradicate him. If he does get in (unlikely if the school is locked down correctly), then the armed pro(s) inside eradicate him. Obviously there would be an early indication some crazy guy is at the school.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
To be proactive would be getting these types of kids/adults the help they obviously need.

Of course this is the other part of the equation. Yes, we must also be proactive in every way possible ... mental health evaluation and care, and even if it means locking up anyone who even mutters a word that they are going to shoot somebody.

So instead just leave the front door wide open so another mass school shooting can happen? What is your solution?

I can't speak for OP but maybe getting mentally ill people the treatment they need before they go cuckoo would help.

As a nation we seem to revel in the reactive not proactive. There's an apparent glee in seeing a bad guy get what's coming to them rather than heading it off before they go bad.

People forget that a gun didn't kill those kids. But, the wacko sob behind that gun did. Guns don't kill! People do. You all forget that. I think the NRA response hit it right on the head!!

Wouldn't it be better to reduce the number of bad guys in the first place?

There are ways to do that. Other countries are implementing them. We should learn a thing or two from them.

Maybe open season on bad guys. It really does boil down to "good guys" vs "bad guys". If we could indeed eradicate all the bad guys this society would be much better off.

My son is in construction as a construction planner/manager. When he shows up at schools, he never goes through the secure front entrance. He told me yesterday all anyone has to do is go to the loading dock/service area and knock. They always open the door and let him in even though they don't know him!

Now this is NOT security. In this country, we are not even close to having secure facilities except in court houses and airports, etc. Security means NOBODY gets in with proper ID and screening while being held under armed observation. Just try to enter a defense facility!. All entrances (windows, doors, etc ) are secure. We gave up using wire impregnated glass because of expense and aesthetics and this guy last week went right through a window.

We are willing to guard banks, aiports , defense facilites but not our own children? If not guns, then machetes. If not knives, gasoline or bombs. Our children are the most valuable thing yet we don't want to guard them?

I'm sure if terrorists where tying to get into schools to do mass murder our government would find ways to stop it. Is this really any different!?

I'm actually surprised terrorists haven't targeted schools ... they are obviously easy to access for anyone.

Agree.

What a joke.

There's a bunch of unemployed veterans, who are looking for jobs all over the country.

Thousands of men and women, who have served with honor and integrity...many of whom already have a record of selfless service, security clearances, weapons proficiency, etc...many of whom are parents themselves.

I'm not saying have a Marine or soldier set up at the front door with a M249...I'm saying that there are thousands of good men and women who have already done many of the jobs that would be required to secure and maintain a safe and secure school environment so our children have the ability to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back