Norton Or McAfee

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are both resource hogs now. I'm just going to start using AVG or MSE now. I only use McAfee because its free from both Comcast and school.

Of course the better solution is to get a Mac...
48.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sprintman
NIS 2010 has run flawlessly since installed.

I'm running that, on your recommendation. So far I am quite happy with it. It does not seem to hog resources. I was running Avast immediately before and can see no disadvantage to NIS.

One more thing I think needs to be added here. You can download trial versions of various antivirus programs and use them for typically 30 days for free. Of course you want to completely uninstall the trial version if you are going to download another one. You can take the Norton Antivirus or whatever other one you want to try for a test drive.

In the case of Norton and McAfee if you decide to remove the antivirus you have to download a tool to completely remove it.

This way you can decide if you like a program before spending money on it.

ESET NOD32 gets my vote for paid for software.

I bought a two year license for it. For free products, I really like Avira and Avast.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Microsoft Security Essentials is what I use now. I used to use AVG Free but MSE beats it hands down.

Interesting.

In what way does MSE beat AVG??

Just curious.........

Got rid of McAfee on the 5 year old laptop, and put on MSE and it is like a new computer. It is again a pleasure to use. I am thinking about putting it on the desktop also, even though the desktop can handle McAfee's heavy use of system resources. Is the general consensus that MSE is equally effective as McAfee? The reason I asked is because McAfee recently caught a "Potentionally Wanted Program" called "Artemis!2dd60d6d088f" What would you do?

I would put money on MSE being more effective than many of the major security suites. It out-performed F-Secure for me on a system this weekend for example. And out-cleaned Avira on a notebook last week. I am very impressed with it thus far.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Agreed but still won't protect against new generation malware.

Nothing protects against stupidity
grin2.gif

The sooner everyone gets away from blacklisting and even whitelisting techniques and uses virtualization/sandboxing solutions, the better off they will be!

I have since turned off all security software except a hardened up version of Sandboxie. Fast, light, bulletproof, and by far the most secure way of browsing.

I haven't run a "scan" in over 6 months.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
The sooner everyone gets away from blacklisting and even whitelisting techniques and uses virtualization/sandboxing solutions, the better off they will be!

I have since turned off all security software except a hardened up version of Sandboxie. Fast, light, bulletproof, and by far the most secure way of browsing.

I havent run an antivirus in oh, 6-months and dont need one thanks to the Sandboxie / Returnil combo
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

That's fine for 32bit OS's, but not 64bit. When the 64 bit version gets out of beta, then everyone can be covered and you will be right..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back