Nokian Hakka R3 vs Nordman 7

Anyone have experience with either of these NON-STUDDED?

I currently have 245/65r17 Nitto SN2 snow tires on our 21 Subaru Ascent that are great for traction but they track with the lengthwise lines/grooves on the interstate which is really annoying! Sometimes feels like its swaying back and forth if the groves are all wonky. I've had Hakka 9 non-studded on our Fusion and they were great, but the Hakka 9's aren't available for SUV's.

I know its not a direct response but I'd go Continential viking contact 7.. they are signifcantly better than last gen blizzaks and usually cheaper.

They also have nice handling similar to standard touring tire and decent wet/dry traction too.

The Nordman 7 is 3 generations old right now (since it's the old Hakka 7), where the current nokian hakka is 10.

The R3 is current, while it is getting long in the tooth.

I've been running the Nordman 7 SUV for 5 winters now. I love them. They are smooth and fairly quiet for a dedicated winter tire, and they were very reasonable as far as cost. I chose these over a studless-type winter tire because they should have a longer tread life, and they were much cheaper. They are great in deep snow, slush, packed snow, and acceptable on ice. Sure, there are better options for an ice tire, but these are better in the dry and wet and deep snow. They were also much cheaper. I just bought a set for my wife's car, and they were cheaper than the Hakka's by a lot.

After about 8000 miles, the "8" on the wear indicators is just starting to wear away, so I've gotten my money's worth. When I bought them, a 235/60-18 was $130, not sure what that cost is now, but had to pay $145 for 235/65-17's a couple of weeks ago.

If you're not using studs, you're better off with the studless R3

Also, the Hakka 9 and the new Hakka 10 are both available in the size 245/65-17. I was able to easily find both for sale online.

I know its not a direct response but I'd go Continential viking contact 7.. they are signifcantly better than last gen blizzaks and usually cheaper.

They also have nice handling similar to standard touring tire and decent wet/dry traction too.
I don't have much experience with Continential which is odd since I have installed many brands of tires over the years as a technician. I'm not saying they are bad compared to any others, just don't have any personal experience with them and they don't seem to be popular in my area. I have seen good reviews on them. But many reviews I have read on any snow tire is mostly first time snow tire users. Which almost any snow tire will be an improvement over all-season tires. Except Goodyear Ultragrip WRT, those were barely better than the General RT43's on our old Fusion.

As far as Blizzaks. I've never personally used them on any of my cars but I have plenty of friends that have them and they seem comparable to the Nokian Hakka 9's as far as traction. But I felt like the Nokians were more quiet and more stable than the Blizzaks I have experienced.

The Nordman 7 is 3 generations old right now (since it's the old Hakka 7), where the current nokian hakka is 10.

The R3 is current, while it is getting long in the tooth.

Thank you! I did not know that. If the Hakka 10's were NON-studded I would probably go with those since they are the most similar to the 9's I had previously.

The only thing that makes me think the Nordman 7 (111T 118mph) may be more stable than the R3 (111R 106mph) is that it has a higher speed rating. Even though both are rated XL and 111, it's been my experience that a tire with a higher speed rating usually are more stable at dry highway speeds which are 75-85mph around me. I may be completely wrong though?

I've been running the Nordman 7 SUV for 5 winters now. I love them. They are smooth and fairly quiet for a dedicated winter tire, and they were very reasonable as far as cost. I chose these over a studless-type winter tire because they should have a longer tread life, and they were much cheaper. They are great in deep snow, slush, packed snow, and acceptable on ice. Sure, there are better options for an ice tire, but these are better in the dry and wet and deep snow. They were also much cheaper. I just bought a set for my wife's car, and they were cheaper than the Hakka's by a lot.

After about 8000 miles, the "8" on the wear indicators is just starting to wear away, so I've gotten my money's worth. When I bought them, a 235/60-18 was $130, not sure what that cost is now, but had to pay $145 for 235/65-17's a couple of weeks ago.

Do you notice any tracking in the length-wise lines that are grooved into the highway? That's my biggest annoyance with the Nitto's. Otherwise they are quiet and great traction.

If you're not using studs, you're better off with the studless R3

Also, the Hakka 9 and the new Hakka 10 are both available in the size 245/65-17. I was able to easily find both for sale online.

I really wished the Hakka 9 and 10 was available NON-Studded. I just have no use or desire for a studded tire. I know they have gotten better for noise and such but we rarely see ice in my area.

Check Viking Contact 7, Xice Snow or WS90 in your size.
They should be better.

Krzyś

I haven't driven a vehicle with the Viking Contact's but I have driven Xice and WS90's. IMO Nokians seem to outperform both the Xice and WS90's, the WS90's tend to be more noisy than the others as well. Where the Nokians seem to outperform many is packed snow and they are equally as good as any top tier snow tire I have driven. However I can't recall if either of those tend to track with the lines on the highway.

I had the Nitto SN2's and I don't recall any tracking issues on my Tiguan 4Motion. You can probably blame the squirmy tread blocks, from I believe they have full depth sipes all around.

I had the Nitto SN2's and I don't recall any tracking issues on my Tiguan 4Motion. You can probably blame the squirmy tread blocks, from I believe they have full depth sipes all around.

They do have really deep sipes for sure. I just have had any of my personal vehicles do this with snow tires. I have driven customer cars that I’ve noticed this before, but not with Nittos, probably because they aren’t well known. It makes me wonder if it could be from the taller sidewall as well?

Back