no more paper or filters for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
i purchased billet filter with stainless steel mesh filters 35u@ absolute and flows 1.9 gpm@ 1 psid of restriction with 90 wt oil.i got these from k&p engineering they sell all kinds of filters for auto, bikes,atv boats their auto site is under construction...there is a great difference in engine performance imho!!! i use this on my 98 ford crown vic replaces the fl820s..s-17 is the part number..i got these at 3r automotive k-pak racing they are going to use these in there scca racing cars team..... another company is trufilter the mesh is the same size and all the specs. accept the case is a bit bigger...i like the k&p.. they have fins to cool the oil...

thanks i will....this flows 1.9gpm @1psid per 1sq inch at 90wt oil...this filter has 30sq inchs of mesh and will flow 57gpm..can't wait till morning for a cold start will let you all know..

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, isn't it a PITA to clean some messy filter out every oil change, rather than to relace it with a new clean standard filter and save alot of time... and we know standard filters work fine? And with each new filter, there is a new gasket and adbv..

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
i purchased billet filter with stainless steel mesh filters 35u@ absolute and flows 1.9 gpm@ 1 psid of restriction with 90 wt oil.i got these from k&p engineering they sell all kinds of filters for auto, bikes,atv boats their auto site is under construction...there is a great difference in engine performance imho!!! i use this on my 98 ford crown vic replaces the fl820s..s-17 is the part number..i got these at 3r automotive k-pak racing they are going to use these in there scca racing cars team..... another company is trufilter the mesh is the same size and all the specs. accept the case is a bit bigger...i like the k&p.. they have fins to cool the oil...

The only difference in performance is in your head.

poor filtering is all paper filters, even those they say 20u absolute. paper filters change in size for instance moisture will swell paper and clog them up this type of filter that we all love on here can let up to 300u through this filter.incresed restriction in these type of filters is way too much for me imho, just common sense trying to push oil through paper just doesn't make any sense to me. we pay anywheres from 3-15 bucks for a cheap filter!!here is good reading..http://p2library.nfesc.navy.mil/P2_Opportunity_Handbook/6II_2.html reading all this and other info i have learned from 3r racing or k-pac racing this filter filters 35u absolute. regarding filter oils, i choose to purchase this micronic stainless steel oil filters for my vehicles also reports and test show an increase of 3-5hp and alot less drag on the oil pump..these things are wide open

..these things are wide open

Right, because they arent losing flow from filtering well.

Last edited:
Figuring out how well an oil filter works on an engine in actual service is very difficult. We use ss mesh filters on dyno runs and cleaning them is critical. We use a converted commercial dish washer. We preclean the filters by letting them drain in a rack then rinse the filters with laundry detergent and a light scrubbing with a brush. Then it's into the dishwasher. We even run new filters through the dishwasher. Anything less will not give you a clean filter. We have swabbed filters that were hand cleaned, scrubbed with laundry detergent or commercial soaps and blown dry with compressed air and found particles on the clean side of the filter. One thing these filters do better than treated paper elements is to protect the engine better in a catastrophic failure. We have been developing some internal engine components for drag racing and the last engine that failed filled the filter with shrapnel but the ss mesh held it all. There were even dings in the element and I think that paper would have just given up. I don't think this kind of performance is needed in most street engines but we have see some turbo add-on grenade and wipe out paper element filters completely. These filters are an useful in their place and we don't make dyno runs with paper any more because of the safety factor they provide. For street use I use paper even though the manufacture of the filter has given me a free one for each of my personal cars. I do all my own service and it's just too much trouble.

glad you know the results and i suppose you know about how well paper filters too...

I dont personally, but I've read all the numbers before from other tests.

I don't find them cost effective. Even if filtering performance was comparable, the cost out paces your likely ownership of a vehicle ..and the new vehicle may not be able to use the one you've got. You can buy (typically) 30-50 conventional filters for the cost of these things. That's outside of just hobby grade cleaning techniques that are going to include solvents and whatnot rituals. If you had two of them (double the conventional filter comparison in costs) you can then maybe (as Barkerman appears to have refined to a high degree) establish some off line "protocol" to clean it (leave it in a bucket of solvent with the lid on - some hobby grade parts cleaner thing ..shake it out and blow it off ..etc...etc.).

I'd say that if you had some bypass filtration in tandem with it, it would work. The fine stuff would be taken care of ..and you could probably forget about the mesh filter for a very long time ..but then you're looking at another $150+ and servicing that filter with some frequency.

...but good luck with it. I really don't see a whole lot of apparent downside effects from its use.

thank you gary and barkerman, these filters will do me what i been desiring in a high flow,non existing restriction. i change my oil every 1500-2000 miles i do have an extra filter to use..i just can't say enough how i notice a big increase in performance and alot less parasitic drag on the engine especially at cold startups.....merry christmas too all here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back