No more coal fired power for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Thanks to the NIMBY and BANANA idiots, nuclear is pretty much a non-starter. The last nuclear plant in this country that was permitted in this country was permitted in 1976.

Actually some prominent environmentalists have come out in favor of nuclear. The smaller units are much safer (think of the reactors that power navy ships) because the cooling system is essentially passive (no or low pressure) and other design attributes.

These environmentalists have realized that nuclear is the only way to go. Personally I think it would be freaking awesome to have a small reactor about the size of a lawn mower buried in the yard powering my house.

Disclosure : I have a B.S in environmental science and public policy but left the field about 4 years after graduation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Actually some prominent environmentalists have come out in favor of nuclear. The smaller units are much safer (think of the reactors that power navy ships) because the cooling system is essentially passive (no or low pressure) and other design attributes.

These environmentalists have realized that nuclear is the only way to go. Personally I think it would be freaking awesome to have a small reactor about the size of a lawn mower buried in the yard powering my house.

Disclosure : I have a B.S in environmental science and public policy but left the field about 4 years after graduation.

Interestingly, I worked with the presenter of this discussion on the rehabiltiation of an open cut coal mine to seal and store ash a few years ago.

preamble

http://www.sydneyminingclub.org/presentations/2013/march/worley/index.htm

rather then just remote applications, they need to be considered to provide grid stability in smaller bite sized parts than the big thermals and nukes.

You will not find a cheaper source of energy than Coal and the United States is plentiful with it. I am hoping the new president destroys the EPA and puts them in their place. They are insane now and wouldn't be happy if the air comes out of the stacks cleaner than the air going in. There are clean coal plants such as Cogen plants that burn Limestone with the coal. What you have are a lot of Fairy tale believers in energy such as wind and solar. There is nothing but worthless technologyy out there. Anything that was a threat to Coal and Oil is safely locked away in their vaults till "THEY" need it. Which I have a feeling is never.

Thanks to the NIMBY and BANANA idiots, nuclear is pretty much a non-starter. The last nuclear plant in this country that was permitted in this country was permitted in 1976.

But too many people still hear the word "nuclear", and immediately jump up on their hind legs to screech, "THE SKY IS FALLING!"

But too many people still hear the word "nuclear", and immediately jump up on their hind legs to screech, "THE SKY IS FALLING!"

I'm surrounded by Navy bases here that have nuke powered subs and carriers along with plenty-O-nuke warheads ready to go. Reproduced with three kids. Clean water. blah blah blah whatevs.

Natural gas is so cheap many are switching from coal, not to mention being forced to make 'clean' electricity by the EPA.

Some say coal is equivalent to a buggy whip.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
we'll be on to fusion - which will be close to free electricity generation. That will be a worldwide game changer.

A newborn baby will not see commercial fusion in his lifetime. Speaking as a mechanical engineer who spent his life working in a Nuke Plant. As someone said..40 years ago it was "right around the corner" Anyone who knows how fusion works and knows how large scale power plants knows it is not going to happen any time soon.

I also doubt that the few Nukes under construction in the U.S. will operate....we'll see.

Last edited:
It's a 1974 Stornello 160, I've had it from new, getting it in 1978 as unsold. Friends and I got 5 of them. I stopped using it in 1988 (last rego on the plate) and decided to get it going again last year, just a strip down and clean up, no restoration here. I lived for 10 years on an island in the Hauraki Gulf, not far from Auckland, and the salt air has caused a bit of damage. Worse damage is what I did to the tank, sometime at the turn of the century I put some fisholene in the tank, figuring that would stop any corosion. WRONG!!! It absorbs moisture and the inside of the tank is rotten, cleaned out and now with POR 15 tank liner. It's going to cost me to get it reinspected and rego'ed for the road again...but I'm on country roads in 1km, not many cops out there.

They reckon the will be a 20 to 25 million cost saving not having the coal burners. There will be some loss of jobs, but not yet, and there will be jobs involved in pulling the whole thing down. I wonder if they will rip the overland conveyor out too - they should use it as an adventure walkway.

P1070021_zps48f3289e.jpg

Submarine plants are designed to run at a very low output (and quiet) ) without the pumps, but if you want military emergency power, BIG pumps are needed, and "included with the purchase price". It's called "plant noise" in the trade.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Some say coal is equivalent to a buggy whip.

Then natural gas is a rock. Coal burners are very sophisticated.

Natural gas and oil should not be burned in bulk but reserved for heating homes and fueling vehicles.

People should watch Pandora's Promise for another view of nuclear. Their views may/maynot he unbiased.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Then natural gas is a rock. Coal burners are very sophisticated.

Natural gas and oil should not be burned in bulk but reserved for heating homes and fueling vehicles.

Spot on turtlevette, the intractable fuels, coal, nukes, wind, geothermal, biomass etc. should be used to make electricity, and the portable fuels distributed as you say for heating and transport.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Submarine plants are designed to run at a very low output (and quiet) ) without the pumps, but if you want military emergency power, BIG pumps are needed, and "included with the purchase price". It's called "plant noise" in the trade.

The ones that I linked to are 10-200MW, specifically designed to be a stand alone remote area power scheme.

Nuclear power freaks out a lot of people. Germans seem especially effected. Coal power kills a lot more people than nuclear power, but the way in which they are killed by coal (mine accidents and pollution for the most part) is better understood by the masses. Objective risk assessment is not something humans inherently do well and so people generally make poor decisions when risk is involved.

Irrational fear of radiation, in the workplace and community is being driven by the people who have the most to gain...the detection industry.

They come up with a new detector, and push it as the latest line in precautionary safety, then new limits get evolved around them.

Zero Linear Threshold is poor science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back