Nissan Quest VQ35 whining, Oil Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a nissan quest with 113000 miles on it. When i bought it, i had to have the timing chains changed and all was good until lately. I usually run 5w40 in it but this Feb i changed it and put in QSUD 5w30 and it got rid if the clacking sound at start up. I had 5K miles on the old oil and planned on running the 5w30 thru the winter. I decided to run the P1 filter for the second change also so i did not change it. Lately we have been hearing a whining sound like a bad water pump or a bad pulley. I was sure it was the water pump as thats where the sound was coming from. It only made this noise at absolutely full engine temp. It was also puzzling that the sound actually went away or drastically reduced when the engine was reved. I took the van to a local guy and he called me and said he dont hear the noise and he recommends just changing the fluid out and seeing how it goes. So on the way home i stop to get gas and sure enough it is whining just as loudly as before. when i got home i pulled the tire off and started poking around with a long screwdriver (as a stethoscope) and could not find the source of the whining. Everything i touched sounded normal but i could sit there and hear the very loud whining plain as day right in my face. Just for the heck of it i put the screwdriver on the oil filter and there it was. Okay so what is going on behind the oil filter? I ran in the house to do some furious goggling and found several posts about people having this issue and it being the aftermarket filter. At this point im thinking these people are crazy. Being im do for my oil change in 2K miles i figured what the heck ill try it and if it dont make a difference, ill just leave it on through the next change. I popped the P1 off and screwed the M1-108 ,i had in the shed, on and wallah the noise is gone. No way im thinking maybe its not hot enough. Well i drove it around a bit and sure enough the noise is completely gone. I dont claim to understand this and i will confirm it after a very long drive but it seems to be real. Many people claim it is because of the lack of bypass valve in the filters or the ADBV. Anyway if you have a VQ35 that is whining near the water pump, try this first. Please dont beat me up on this as i know it sounds crazy. If i didnt see it i would not believe it and it still confuses me. Please do a search on the 3.5 aftermarket filter before you make your opinions. I just wanted to share my experience as crazy as it sounds. Hopefully it can save someone else some aggravation. On a side note, i cut the P1 open to inspect and to me it looks just fine. I cleaned off the filter pretty good and sucked thru it to see how restricted it was. I could barely suck thru it but that may be normal for a oil soaked filter. I dont make a habit of sucking on old oil filters so im no expert. I do know that new ones are much easier.

My VQ40 engine did this. I am not sure if your engine is the same but I suspect it is. It has two plastic chain tensioners that press against the secondary timing chains. Eventually, they wear through and casue the whining sound. It will come and go. If you have these, you need to get to the dealer pronto as you are hearing metal on metal. If not taken care of, this will result in a lot of damage.

Well im hoping that this is not the case again because i already had it taken care of less than 10K miles ago. The first time i noticed the frequency of the sound would increase with engine rev. Also i dont hear anything coming from the chain covers. When i did have that problem, it did not seem sensitive to oil changes as whatever i have now is. How could a filter possibly fix this issue. My fear is that your correct but its not making sense to me.

Think it is possible that the ADB valve is vibrating in the filter? Nothing is too strange to be true on occasion.

This is one of the explanations that i have heard. I know its different but if i take a brand new P1 of the same number(PL14612) and suck through it, it whistles. It does not do this on any of my other filters even the P1's of different model numbers. It could almost be a you tube moment if i was on film last night. In my underwear and sneakers, 10pm, in the shed, sucking thru all of my different oil filters including the old oil soaked one.

First, use paragraphs. It wold make your post a lot easier to read.

Second, if you had to change the timing chain at 113k then it sounds like the engine was neglected before you bought it. And, maybe when it makes the sound, try recording a video clip of it. I don't think it's the oil filter because I've used a P1 or some sort of Purolator since I got it with 80k miles and I don't get strange noises.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
First, use paragraphs. It wold make your post a lot easier to read.

Second, if you had to change the timing chain at 113k then it sounds like the engine was neglected before you bought it. And, maybe when it makes the sound, try recording a video clip of it. I don't think it's the oil filter because I've used a P1 or some sort of Purolator since I got it with 80k miles and I don't get strange noises.

First, I didnt realize it was this long when i was typing it. I was trying to get it all in before a meeting. Im not too concerned about it.

Second, It is not uncommon for the timing changes to go out before 100K miles on these engines. I dont think this is a sign of neglect. Either way it is irrelevant to my issue now. Im not sure it not the P1 filter. Since i bought this van i have run P1 filters and never had this problem but this is the first time I have run one for extended use also. It really does seem to have something to do with the filer and many others have experienced this also. I dont think that P1 is a bad filter, it might just be that it dont have the same pressure relief valve or something. I dont pretend to know but i have seen a lot of other posts with the same symptoms and same fixes. Ill run this filter for a while and ill post a update.

Yes, its the oil filter. My friend who works on mostly G35s just saw this happen on an EX35 last week. It was a Pennzoil filter that had this problem, which I believe is now a Purolator.

I have only heard of this issue on Nissans for some reason. Change the oil filter and the problem goes away.

I've never heard such whining noises with my Pathfinder. I've used Nissan OEM filters, M1 filters, PureONEs, and a SuperTech once. Never had any strange noises.
21.gif

The plastic chain tensioners fail almost at random. I use Mobil 1 in my Frontier and they failed at about 35,000 miles. Others have had them fail in the first year. Some go well over 100,000 miles. It has NOTHING to do with maintenance, just a poorly desigen system and a bad set of plastic parts. This is a big discussion on Frontier and Nissan forums.

I have had whining from my G35 engine that went away with oil changes. I tracked it to the PCV valve. It was pretty clear the noise was coming from the valve once I was able to recreate it. In my case it only happened about 1-3 miles into a trip, starting from cold and only after a few thousand miles were on a particular oil and filter set. For a while I used it as a maintenance reminder.

Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
I've never heard such whining noises with my Pathfinder. I've used Nissan OEM filters, M1 filters, PureONEs, and a SuperTech once. Never had any strange noises.
21.gif

I think it has to do with running them a long time. I believe most people only have these issues toward the end of an OCI and in my case about 8 K miles on the filter. Up till then, no noise.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
I have had whining from my G35 engine that went away with oil changes. I tracked it to the PCV valve. It was pretty clear the noise was coming from the valve once I was able to recreate it. In my case it only happened about 1-3 miles into a trip, starting from cold and only after a few thousand miles were on a particular oil and filter set. For a while I used it as a maintenance reminder.

I really dont understand how the PCV can cause this but i dont really understand a lot of these goofy Nissan issues. Thanks for posting this. Ill locate the PCV and change it out just on the incase.

Thanks again all for the help.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
21.gif

I think it has to do with running them a long time. I believe most people only have these issues toward the end of an OCI and in my case about 8 K miles on the filter. Up till then, no noise.

Perhaps you're running them too long.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Originally Posted By: jstutz
21.gif

I believe this is it. I have my OCI at 6500 with the 5w30. When i put the T6 back in it, I will stick to the 7500 mile changes. We make a lot of long trips. If we dont i will shorten up the OCI. I will however replace the PCV as mentioned above.

Perhaps you're running them too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back