Nissan oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

They are OK to use but not as good as the made in japan ones.

A little proof of this would be much appreciated.

Nissan makes out a set of specs for an oilfilter. They then send those specs, and expected purchase volumes, to the filter manufacturers to bid on.

The manufacturers submit their bids based on NISSANS specs and projected purchase volumes. Nissan picks one or so of the bidders to supply the filters. That's how it's done. They don't just purchase a filter based on costs alone, they buy based on cost that is based on their specs.

Nissan simple 'recommends' mineral oil. They also recommends 3750/7500 miles OCIs. There is NO implication made against synthetic oil. There is much ignorant hearsay on the web stating such as fact. Don't believe it.

What Pete mentions is the same with just about every PN coming from an automakers. Besides cost/specs/volume, the only other OEM variable I've dealt with is 'time'. That volume must delivered. Many contracts bounce simply because a supplier can't make the volume delivery in a reasonable time. And you wonder why Nissan has dozens of similar PN's for oil filters, and multiple suppliers for one part?
My issue with spec's is that 'cheating' to make up for low bid cost needs policing. OEMs don't do that too well.

If certain companies pack up and ship MFGing to China, you would hope that the quality is similar. And, since cost is less, you would think that quality, besides profit, could also be improved upon. One thing that I don't like from those cheaper imported parts is that it seems to take a generation or 2 to get the part right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back