New warning from Hyundai about flush oil additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve, your spot on. Recently followed an engine teardown of a Toyota 2AZ-FE with 318k. Owner was "anti-additive", pro "favorite oil". Oil used for most of its 318k life was Castrol Syntec semi @5k OCI's. Reason for teardown: oil consumption that was becoming progressively worse in recent months. Assumption was engine needed a rebuild. What was found mechanically wrong? Nothing. After teardown and inspecting parts all that was wrong was clogged piston oil return holes.

Here's a pic of all that was wrong with the engine after 318k using nothing but motor oil, no adds.
pistonholedebri.jpg

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: RiceCake
Additives have a place in engine maintenance, and because of their place they will inevitably get used in some hopeless causes.

That isn't maintenance. Additives have their place in repair of engine abuse and neglect.

Any engine properly maintained won't develop "sludge" and need a "flush". The fact that people believe they need this now is just marketing working wonders.

Baloney.

Perhaps within your limited experience this is true. In mine it is simply not.

How many times have you personally disassembled an old tired engine with a couple hundred thousand miles on it? I don't care how it was maintained it will have coke in the rings and some sludge or scummy deposits somewhere in it.

Additives do have their place in certain instances. Just too many variables to make blanket statements like "all properly maintained engines need is motor oil".

I agree, over the years I've seen plenty of well maintained engine develop sludge and varnish. But then again I live in a place where severe service vehicle use is the norm. Lots of low speed stop and go, it takes its toll, even with a shortened OCI and top quality oil.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Additives have a place in engine maintenance, and because of their place they will inevitably get used in some hopeless causes.

That isn't maintenance. Additives have their place in repair of engine abuse and neglect.

Any engine properly maintained won't develop "sludge" and need a "flush". The fact that people believe they need this now is just marketing working wonders.

Baloney.

How many times have you personally disassembled an old tired engine with a couple hundred thousand miles on it? I don't care how it was maintained it will have coke in the rings and some sludge or scummy deposits somewhere in it.

Additives do have their place in certain instances. Just too many variables to make blanket statements like "all properly maintained engines need is motor oil".

I agree, over the years I've seen plenty of well maintained engine develop sludge and varnish. But then again I live in a place where severe service vehicle use is the norm. Lots of low speed stop and go, it takes its toll, even with a shortened OCI and top quality oil.

8th gen Corolla. That's all I have to add here.

Baloney.

Good post.
Leakyseals,ken,Steve,dermapaint,mystic. Now that another of sunk ships threads have been blown to bits as his comments have been picked apart short of the copy and paste posts we can conclude that he is a troll.
I classify his posts and opinion in the same folder as gearheadtool,and therefore should carry the same weight as his posts do.
Stop the madness. As entertaining as his posts are they are still a circus,and its bringing us down.
We used to have enlightening conversations about kinematic viscosity and viscosity index as well as new vs old viscosity index improves and how they now resist shear.
I miss our splitting hairs debates and the conversations where facts and data were primary,and sensibility was common. Since sunkship has taken up this crusade all of us have degenerated as we post to disprove his various nonsensical novels.
Can we get back to being informative please.
I'll stop feeding the troll,I've got him on ignore.
How about an M1 increases wear metals chat,or a thick/thin. Anything to starve the troll.
Just my humble thoughts

You are surely joking.
Another thick vs thin thread or one concerning M1 and supposed high iron is a troll thread by definition.
Both of these topics have been beat into the ground in many threads.

I agree with Clevy. Skyship has a right here to post the same as anybody else as long as he follows the rules. But after a while his posts all seem the same with little new information coming out. We know that Skyship is anti-oil supplement and anti-engine cleaner. He has a right to be that way but this is the Oil Additives Section! This section exists so that people can discuss engine cleaners, oil supplements, products to stop seal leaks, etc. We need to get back to discussions about those sort of products.

Skyship has posted here again and again basically saying the same stuff-just use good quality motor oil, don't use oil supplements, and don't use engine cleaners. We understand the message and with nothing else new coming from his posts that I can see we need to move on.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Steve, your spot on. Recently followed an engine teardown of a Toyota 2AZ-FE with 318k. Owner was "anti-additive", pro "favorite oil". Oil used for most of its 318k life was Castrol Syntec semi @5k OCI's. Reason for teardown: oil consumption that was becoming progressively worse in recent months. Assumption was engine needed a rebuild. What was found mechanically wrong? Nothing. After teardown and inspecting parts all that was wrong was clogged piston oil return holes.

318,000 miles and all that was wrong was piston oil holes were clogged.

So two things.

1) How do you know the problem he had wasn't due to age or that it doesn't just happen and,

2) How do you know additives will fix this?

I'd love a written guarantee from you that my engine will last over 318,000 miles if I use whatever additives you've come to convince yourself are necessary for an engine, until then I'll stick to being happy to save myself the money. Considering your story is an engine with 318000 miles, its pretty laughable to somehow imply not using additives is bad.

And telling me additives would've fixed the problem when you noticed it doesn't count either; clearly you had to tear the engine down to figure that out. Additives as an interim attempt to hopefully fix a specific problem? Absolutely! That I agree with. Its people like Steve who are specifically implying I'm an idiot with no real knowledge and all engines eventually sludge up without whatever special additives he likes that is a ridiculous statement. Even LeakySeals own admission that the only problem he had at almost a half a million miles was a bit of ugly piston coking basically proves it.

Additives aren't regular maintenance if you're getting 318k miles without them.

Some cars go to the junkyard long before then.

Last edited:
I might add that I am mystified why Skyship is on such a crusade to stop everybody from using oil supplements. Why does he care? I respect his right to his opinion that oil supplements and engine cleaners are no good. But no matter what he says, unless he can somehow provide definite proof that all oil supplements and engine cleaners are no good, people will go right on using them. So his effort to stop people from using oil supplements is doomed from the start.

We need to ask Skyship why he is so determined to try to get everybody to stop using oil supplements and engine cleaners. I am curious to know.

Actually RiceCake, I never said you were an idiot. I questioned your experience.

And note that I also spoke about coked up ring packs, not whatever you are calling "sludge". There's a HUGE difference between soft waxy deposits and rock hard carbon and coke.

I can tell you with special certainty that any ordinary street driven engine with over 100k miles will have coke in the ring pack. many then also have serious head deposits. Certain types of designs are way more likely to be badly affected, but most any engine is wearing down by 150-200k miles and is on the tail end. With of course a few notable exceptions.

Relax man. No one was trying to diss your knowledge!

Actually RiceCake, I never said you were an idiot. I questioned your experience.

And note that I also spoke about coked up ring packs, not whatever you are calling "sludge". There's a HUGE difference between soft waxy deposits and rock hard carbon and coke.

I can tell you with special certainty that any ordinary street driven engine with over 100k miles will have coke in the ring pack. many then also have serious head deposits. Certain types of designs are way more likely to be badly affected, but most any engine is wearing down by 150-200k miles and is on the tail end. With of course a few notable exceptions.

Relax man. No one was trying to diss your knowledge!

Fair call then, it just came off differently to me I suppose.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
I doubt there is an additive that would fix that.

Give it a few weeks for someone to notice your post and label a bottle of kerosene that offers to fix exactly that now :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back