New today 2014 Elantra oil recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the QS syn blend 5w-30 would be perfect for your car. I think it's $17 a jug at WM. I just did my first OC in a 2011 Elantra Touring I bought in November. Might be a different motor--it's the 2.0L. Since my car rarely sees below freezing temps, I used a 5w-30 blend and will do 4K changes until the engine warranty expires. Next OC will be with Quaker State.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I think the QS syn blend 5w-30 would be perfect for your car. I think it's $17 a jug at WM. I just did my first OC in a 2011 Elantra Touring I bought in November. Might be a different motor--it's the 2.0L. Since my car rarely sees below freezing temps, I used a 5w-30 blend and will do 4K changes until the engine warranty expires. Next OC will be with Quaker State.

Sounds good NormanBuntz. I used QS before and had no issues. I have 2 more oil changes free from the dealer than I will do them myself.

I just changed the oil in my 13 Elantra. Right now I'm using QSUD 5w-20. She has 9500 miles on the odometer. I'm thinking of using 5w-20 year round with 5000 mile oci.

Originally Posted By: rmcnamara
I just changed the oil in my 13 Elantra. Right now I'm using QSUD 5w-20. She has 9500 miles on the odometer. I'm thinking of using 5w-20 year round with 5000 mile oci.

Sounds good to me. Owners manual calls for 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W30 so any would work fine.

I wasn't a proponent until I tried it this last fill but 5w30 really muffled the sound of my 2.4., significantly over 5w20.

My engine does make some noises at startup. From what I have read and asked on some hyundai forums. That they are normal for these engines.

not that I can call normal but not to worry too much. It's Maybe just oil fiter. Are you using thos watery 0w20 or 5w20 synthetic? They are low pressure but high speed (flow) and that'e explicit at idle. A bunch of cars clacks at idle with those oils and get smooth at 2k rpms and above. I don't like it at all.

FF(dino) and M1 5w20. Its a characteristic of the 2.4 d.i. but the 5w30 quiets it down nicely both at startup and throttle tip-in. Either a dino or syn 5w30 would have that effect from anecdotal evidence on the Hyjndai forums.

Last edited:
Many here will say what you are hearing (or not hearing) is a placebo effect. I disagree. I've changed enough oil in the same vehicles for a long enough time to learn that engines sound different and consume oil when switching between brands and viscosity.

I'm currently using an 0W-40 in an 5W-30 application and the engine is noticeably smoother and quieter.

Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa
Rodeo is gone and got the wife a 2014 Hyundai Elantra Limited. Live in Florida. Owners manual states oil change every 3750 miles for severe service. Manual states to use 5W-20, 5W-30 or 10W-30. Also specifies to use Quakerstate Dino. First ever I seen a manufacturer recommended a certain brand. First 3 oil changes are free curtesy of Hyundai. God only knows what oil they are putting in their vehicles. States 5W-20 for best fuel economy. 5W-30 or 10W-30 for hot summer months of high use. I will use the 3 oil change services then change it on my own. I'm thinking 5W-20 year round but July and August are torture on cars here. Maybe run 5W-30 during summer months and 5W-20 during winter months. Car will be driven easy about 60 miles a day to and from work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you BITOG family. Have a good one.

Given those choices I'd use 5W30, follow the severe service interval, and let the dealer keep the three free oil changes. After having a van totaled by a dealership, working for them, reading and hearing countless horror stories about them, I try and avoid them at all costs. But that's just me.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with any of the choices in the manual. Pick the flavor you like and enjoy your vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back