New to Subaru's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone after owning three toyotas I have left them and bought a 2017 Subaru Impreza(non turbo), I am new to the boxer style engine and was wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks and any maintenance are other things I should know I plan on keeping the car for at least ten years. It's primary job is commuting 66 miles a day with about 75 percent highway and the rest normal city driving, thanks and feel free to ask any questions you have.

I think I will enjoy the awd during the daily thunderstorms in summer, plus the car feels like it's on rails
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: kevco
I think I will enjoy the awd during the daily thunderstorms in summer, plus the car feels like it's on rails
grin.gif

How is AWD going to help in the rain? You must be pushing it quite hard to notice a difference--only times I've noticed rain is when I push the limits of thread-bare tires.

Heck I often drive my truck in RWD in the snow, leaving it out of 4x4.

Use genuine Subaru OEM oil filters and not aftermarket stuff. Yes they're made by Honeywell but they're okay. Not many after market oil filters for the Subaru engines have the correct bypass valve opening pressure threshold. Now, I don't know if Subaru went to a cartridge filter on the newer FB type engines or still use a spin-on. The admonition about aftermarket does not apply if they use a cartridge filter. But if a spin-on, make sure to use genuine Subaru ones.

Use only the recommended oil viscosity which is 0W20. The variable valve timing system was engineered using 0W20 as the reference viscosity. It may work fine on 5W20 but 0W20 was the reference viscosity used during development of the engine and variable valve timing system.

I buy NAPA synthetic 0W20 on sale for $2.99. It requires synthetic. And lots of 6 OEM oil filters on Amazon.

The filter and fill are up front. Super easy. The drain plug is pretty easy also. It takes a 108 Fumoto valve which I have on one and will soon on the other.

You will not see any snow in the Houston area and subies are a dime a dozen. Nice car.

Did yours come with the free Florida dealer maintenance plan for two years, 24K miles? Mine did, so I've only done one OC using a Wix 57055, with no noticeable issues. But then mine is almost never in below freezing temperatures for that alleged bypass pressure issue to be possible. In fact for the summer I'll be using up some 5w-20 synthetic stash if I don't make it to the dealer for the final freebie. My Outback has been problem free, although the CVT at startup speeds sometimes grinds my gears.

Good luck with yours!

No the dealer I bought from has lifetime oil in filter changes every 6000 miles but I'm sure it's some type of bulk oil, I might just do them myself so I know what's in it, the cvt in mine doesn't seem that bad it has simulated gears or I can use the paddle shifters to make it go through pretend gears

Imprezas with the CVT trans do give some really great fuel economy. My BILs 2014 would routinely do 35mpg tank/tank for his diving. Oil changes are easy with the top mount spin-on filter, but getting under a (very low) Impreza will require some doing. If it came with free oil changes and you have no problem dealing with service advisers, by all means take advantage of that! My local Subaru dealers charge like $60+ for a 0w20 oil/filter change.

I never understood the need/want for a Subaru in southern states, where you'll never need this type of AWD configuration, but it's still a fine econo type car.

Hopefully you'll find the wimpy HVAC system to be to your liking. Subaru really geared the AC and heating systems for light weight and to maximize fuel economy starting around ~2010. I've noticed this in my last 3 Subarus and I live in an area that doesn't get hot too often and usually not super cold.

They are the official car of The Peoples Republic of Boulder Co.

All joking a side, I do miss my subi. Nothing like bombing up I-70 during the ski season.

Originally Posted By: JTK

I never understood the need/want for a Subaru in southern states, where you'll never need this type of AWD configuration, but it's still a fine econo type car.

Manual transmission station wagon would drive me to a Forester if I lived in the south. The only other option is a VW Golf Wagon.

Rain, minor flooding, mud and sand pretty much near any city in florida awd/4wd doesnt hurt

Last edited:
Nice choice for a new car. I miss driving my 2012 Impreza for my daily commute in Virginia, that thing is seriously a great wet weather vehicle. In the rain, my Ford C-Max slips on all the white stop lines at intersections under light acceleration and is overall significantly less confident in less-than-ideal conditions.

As for maintenance, don't worry about the oil filters, I've been running M1 and Fram Ultra filters for 113K miles in my 2012 Impreza and I have had zero issues and I have yet to see any evidence that running aftermarket filters on a Subaru leads to anything bad. The only thing that I would recommend doing special for your new car that isn't in the maintenance schedule would be to do a drain and fill relatively early on your differentials. I did mine at about 40K and the factory fluid came out opaque silver and was very viscous. I ended up putting in Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 and ran that for 70K miles and it came out nearly the same see-through amber color that it went in and did not appear to be any more viscous than the new fluid that I put in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back