New to me Tahoe 5.3l

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2005 Chevy Tahoe Z71, 115000 miles, well cared for. I have no oil history. I will pull a 12 foot trailer with lawn equipment appx 3500lbs 3-4 days a week. Also daily driver we will take it on some lengthy (2-3K mile) road trips. I do not abuse and take very good care of my vehicles but it will be worked a little. My area of Tennessee sees 100 regularly and the trips are mostly desert south west. I would appreciate any suggestions on oil. I use Wix filters on all my cars. Price does not matter too much to me, i do not mind paying well for quality. I am thinking of Amsoil but can not get used to the thought of those long OCI's, but at the same time it sounds intriguing to me. I have read many threads but could not decide, so I thought I would ask. Thank you very much. I can read here for long stretches of time, such a good site. Travis.

Just saw a thread that Wal Mart has Mobil 1 in 5 quart jugs for $22.47. Consult manual for your recommended weight and go to WM You cannot lose for that price.

Yeah I'd go with conventional like the PYB. You probably kick up a bunch of dust mowing and while it'll mostly settle down before you start the truck up you could have some that drifts near the intake. Naturally you want a good seal on your air filter as well.

Take care of your radiator, tranny, and brakes.

We have the same vehicle and mileage, except my wife's is a 2004.
It is used almost exclusively short trips--no towing, but sees an 18 hour run straight to FL at least once every year.
Because of the short trips I've used usually (Valvo) syn, and usually change it at 5K miles-which may leave 30% or so left in the OLM.
One time I exceeded the OLM by 28% and the UOA was excellent.
Of the oils I've used, PYB 5-30 had the least debris on the magnetic drain plug--the difference was quite noticeable. If it weren't for my stash of NAPA syn, I'd use PYB @ 5K mile intervals

Wow, 4 responses in 10 minutes. I love this site. Well, other than the price, which I am OK with, what technically speaking makes your suggestions? I am trying to learn all this massive amount of info on here. The why's and what for's. On one hand I have heard in my 50 years that "oil is oil", on the other hand, (why I am on this site ) is learning the reasons why people use what they use. Thanks again. Travis.

Basically we just look at your situation, as far as car and OCI go, and suggest the best option for the price. At least thats how I go.

Anything will work well for the interval suggested by the car's OLM.

Pennzoil makes a special dexos oil at Walmart for $16-17 for 5 quarts. It's a blend that contains at least 50% synthetic.

What oil change interval were you planning? You mentioned Amsoil. With a Wix filter you should be able to at least go 7500 miles on one oil change. It all depends on your philosophy, and you can probably take any solid dino oil to 5000, as mentioned above.

For years I too was in the 3000 (or even 2500!) mile OCI club with older vehicles; took some doing but with this site and doing some UOAs I got past the mileage thing.

Last edited:
Any decent conventional or synthetic name brand would do. I think it all depends on what you want to spend and how long OCI before making a solid decision. I personally go for what I find out sale and have in the stash. The warranty is long past in that vehicle, so you can do what you feel works best.

I am not sure of my philosophy. I am trying to figure it out. So, would my choices be something like PYB and Wix for 5K or so, or a synthetic and Wix for 10K or so. And yes I am trying to get over the 3K oil change syndrome. We once had an 86 Accord that I changed the oil over 50 times in about 165K. Insane I know. I should have never sold it. I hate Walmart but it is everywhere and cheap, so I am leaning to buying there. Thanks again. I also don't know where to get Amsoil any way.

WalMart still has a $5 off coupon for any Valvoline 5 qt jug in their printable coupon section. Towing a trailer in 100 degree heat, I would consider a semi or full synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back