New to me 2014 Yaris, 4500 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, just inherited a 2014 Yaris hatchback with 4500mi from a close relative who very seldom drove it since new, and I am aware it was taken mainly on 5-10 min drives, unlikely exceeding 30mph. I changed the oil and filter, and took it on some nice highway drives. All fluids are in very good condition.

It was due for a change at 8,XXX mi or 3/10/17. The oil change I did is presumably it 2nd/3rd oil change ever and what I took out was 2 - 3 years old

I'm planning on keeping it as a commuter car, and a zip around town car - to keep miles of my (baby) Crown Vic, also getting appx. twice the mpg. It'd be foolish to sell it, right? With 4500 mi I really couldn't see myself getting much more than any other Yaris with
Any suggestions on what to check out other than the fuel filter? Everything seems in order.

Last edited:
Fuel filter is likely built in to the fuel pump module on a 2014, so you should be good there.

At 4,500 miles, there's really nothing to check. I would flush the brake fluid and check the condition of the brake linings, just in case. A transmission service wouldn't hurt, again due to time. What's the age of the tires? They're likely original, and a new set on something that small is cheap enough insurance. Besides that, just drive it. The Yaris is the most basic of transportation, and I'm sure it will treat you well with nary an issue.

I love subcompact hatchback cars. They're among my favorite category of vehicle. The Toyota Yaris(not the mazda2/yaris) is a very reliable car. Yes, so is the mazda/yaris(a.k.a. iA) but, we're not talking about that one here.

I've driven several of these Toyota Yaris' since ~2008-present from my retired friends who have purchased them as a 2nd or 3rd vehicle to use as a run-a-bout or connect to their travel RV.

They're not a bad car, however they can little quirky in certain generations with the center mounted speedo and lack of decent driving dynamics along with some hiwy road noise. But, they're OK comfy and rear seat roomy!

Not a great long distance hiwy cruiser for a weekend away or vacation but, some of these folks do it without issues. For a small car, the fuel economy(according to my friends) is, kinda mhhh, OK!

But, here's the ticket. They all love'em when out grocery shopping, banking, going to lunch etc. The car drives simply, parks easily, washes quickly in the driveway and tucks away in the garage.

Keep your expectations low and you may be very surprised!
laugh.gif

There's a guy on YouTube that put something like a half a million miles on his Yaris in only four years, I'd provide a link but I'm too lazy. Anyway it's pretty cool...just the reliability and no frills of the thing. The guy drove it pretty hard too...think was a currier for a medical organ transport or something.

Keep it. I use my Honda Civic as a daily driver all the time. Small cars are kind of like driving a go cart and get around well. They are also way better on long highway trips too and are nothing like the old bombs made years ago. You are one lucky guy.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Keep it!

Originally Posted by Char Baby
I love subcompact hatchback cars. They're among my favorite category of vehicle. The Toyota Yaris(not the mazda2/yaris) is a very reliable car. Yes, so is the mazda/yaris(a.k.a. iA) but, we're not talking about that one here.

I've driven several of these Toyota Yaris' since ~2008-present from my retired friends who have purchased them as a 2nd or 3rd vehicle to use as a run-a-bout or connect to their travel RV.

They're not a bad car, however they can little quirky in certain generations with the center mounted speedo and lack of decent driving dynamics along with some hiwy road noise. But, they're OK comfy and rear seat roomy!

Not a great long distance hiwy cruiser for a weekend away or vacation but, some of these folks do it without issues. For a small car, the fuel economy(according to my friends) is, kinda mhhh, OK!

But, here's the ticket. They all love'em when out grocery shopping, banking, going to lunch etc. The car drives simply, parks easily, washes quickly in the driveway and tucks away in the garage.

Keep your expectations low and you may be very surprised!
laugh.gif

In addition, with a set(4) winter tires, it's a tiger!

Originally Posted by PantherFan88
It'd be foolish to sell it, right? With 4500 mi I really couldn't see myself getting much more than any other Yaris with div>

Why not? Any 5 year old car with 4500 miles is going to command a premium price. Probably $2,000 more than one with 60K.

Is it a stick? I dont think i could tolerate an automatic in one of those.

I owned a stick one. That's when I rejoined the forum in the mid 2000's as ArcoGraphite I think I was BustedKnuckelZ before that. As typical, many here didnt believe I was having problems with filter flow and oil types in a Toyota - so i posted a Photo of all the filters and some oil I tried. Just salivate over that Rotella Triple Protect 10W30 dino liquid gold!

Liked it better than the Honda Fit, but both the FT and the Yaris have a cheap strut front end with small components and soft bushings that may not keep an alignment. At least Toyota doesnt OVERCHARGE for a throw away subcompact like the Honda Theives do.
Requires snows in the winter or it will go NO WHERE.

Had issue with Filter flow and VVT. Car likes champ filters or Lexus Toyota Denso. foam media filters.. Hates Thai Denso. This may be different with the 20 grade oil spec. mine spec'd 30 grade.

BTW LOVED the center speedo. Just have to get used to something different and possibly BETTER. Easy to "right eyeball" the speedo. Min didnt have a tach IIRC. Unobstructed view over the wheel..
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Had issue with Filter flow and VVT. Car likes champ filters or Lexus Toyota Denso. foam media filters.. Hates Thai Denso. This may be different with the 20 grade oil spec. mine spec'd 30 grade.

Nearly 20 years and over 280,000 miles on predominately Thai Denso filters and my ECHO likes them just fine.

It's hard for me to figure out all the issues you've had with just about every vehicle you have ever owned. They all have one common denominator however.

I don't appreciate your constant and baseless ad hominem attacks. I may have to appoint a special counsel to look into this ....

Yes a good mechanic that NOTICES problems and look for logical solutions instead of IGNORING them.

And I proved it was the filter by removing and replacing it TWICE. with the OE Japan Denso.

I ride in relatives and friends cars, and most all of them have critical problems that are ignored.

An attack? No one on here, and I repeat no one has had anywhere near the varied and numerous problems you have had with engines, oils and filters. Not even close. It's not an attack to point that out since you're the one who has made the posts. I'm also not the only one who has noticed it either so you should report all those people to the "special counsel" as well.

If I had a problem with any of my vehicles and ignored it I would not have gotten nearly 1.2 million combined miles out of them. None of them have weird noises or knocks and none of them don't "like" their oils nor the filters. Do you really think that I got to over 400k miles on a 1MZ-FE because I am incompetent and ignore "critical problems"? In fact the one and only time I ever noticed a problem with something in that regard was way back when I as using those foam Denso filters on my Sienna. It was during a very cold snap (-28F) and the engine had a fairly loud knocking noise on startup, I changed back to the Thai Denso paper filters and it never happened again. There is no demonstrable or published reason to use those filters and they appear to be discontinued now. Maybe they weren't that great after all?

I'd check the brakes, I find mine never make the winter without something freezing up on the pads. Otherwise, change brake fluid, check to see if the tires have hardened up (might not matter for a city runner), put some gas in and go. Too early to touch the transmission.

I own 1.4 d4d with MMT gearbox...2nd owner...bought it 6months ago with a 198kkm...still works like a champ...

Its rear bridge like to rust...it is coated only with basic OEM black colour...so I went to one workshop here and protected it with krown antirust oil...

It sips with diesel...and it drives like a champ...since I am a 2nd owner I dunno if engine ECU was remaped...but I would not be Surprised if it was...since car is really potent...accerlates like one size bigger car

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back