New tires make steering feel “loose”

Was time for new mud tires so finally got some Cooper STT pros. I googled this and some people say something about tire squirming or something like that?Because of new thread blocks? Feels like the steering wheel is loose or has play or something. The wheel is also very easy to turn now. I checked the psi but was at about 60 didn’t seem to too high since max is 80 and people run close to 60 for fuel mileage but I brought it down to 50 hopefully it’ll help? Also everything got replaced last year. High quality ball joints tie rod pitman arm everything. Does feel like the mud thread blocks “squirm” but it did not do this when I had gotten my nitto trail grapplers mt

I don't know what year, make, and model your truck is. But my older (1991) Ford F-150 got a little "sloppy" in the steering a couple of years ago. (Not from new tires).

The first place I took it right away wanted to sell me a ton of new front end parts. (Goodyear Service Center). I took a pass. A few months later I was having a new water pump put in at one of the local Ford dealers, and mentioned it. The guy fixed it for, "free".

He told me that all he did was adjust the steering box. The truck drove and tracked much better after that. I didn't know there was any such adjustment.... At least on my truck.

The steering being lighter and less precise is entirely possible. You have a tyre fitted that builds up greater slip angles than what you had previously.

That's why it's important to fit the same tyres front and back, fit these just on the front and you get extra understeer, fit them on the back and you get oversteer (or less understeer as the case may be).

Things might tighten some as the tyre wears and ages. None of this means the tyre has less or more grip, it just needs more steering input to get it to turn as before

Check tire pressure.

Was an alignment performed?

You do get what you pay for if the above 2 were done correctly. There is a reason why I don't use entry level, discount, store brand, or generic tires. That brand is another one of my 'never again' brands.

Back the pressure off to 50 or 55psi. You have a 99 GMC? You may even need to go lower.

"Thread blocks?" Please tell me that that is an 'autocorrect' typo. It is not uncommon to feel tread squirm when transitioning from worn tire to a new tire.
Quite sure the threads on mud tires are referred to as blocks. Not the only one who says that.

Check tire pressure.

Was an alignment performed?

You do get what you pay for if the above 2 were done correctly. There is a reason why I don't use entry level, discount, store brand, or generic tires. That brand is another one of my 'never again' brands.
Coopers stt pros line is not entry level lol

I had this happen to me on my Regal with a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires. I believe the sidewalls were too soft as they made my Regal feel like driving a boat. The steering felt so vague and when it was windy the car felt like it wallowed all over the road. I added air and nothing really helped. My benchmark at the time were the stock tires and my winter tires. I ended up getting these tires replaced under warranty because they wouldn't balance so the problem solve itself.

I have heard that "tread squirm" is a thing too. If your old tires had significantly reduced tread, it could be this. Also, if your old tires had a poor wear pattern it could have been causing more resistance in the steering. Hence, the easy steering feeling with the new tires.

Quite sure the threads on mud tires are referred to as blocks. Not the only one who says that.
What Truck you driving? Guessing these are LT tires. But you didn't tell anybody that either.

Takes a bit to wear in, you may have too much toe. Good you lowered the tire pressure - unless you have a quad cab 3/4 tonne diesel ! Over filling tires then taking out a lot of pressure distorts the tire. Too bad they over fillled it - if they overfilled it.

Was time for new mud tires so finally got some Cooper STT pros. I googled this and some people say something about tire squirming or something like that?Because of new thread blocks? Feels like the steering wheel is loose or has play or something. The wheel is also very easy to turn now. I checked the psi but was at about 60 didn’t seem to too high since max is 80 and people run close to 60 for fuel mileage but I brought it down to 50 hopefully it’ll help? Also everything got replaced last year. High quality ball joints tie rod pitman arm everything. Does feel like the mud thread blocks “squirm” but it did not do this when I had gotten my nitto trail grapplers mt
All I can tell you is increased front tire pressures lighten the steering feel. Door placard pressures?

I bought new tires for the Tundra. They are "E?" rated tires.
The max PSI is 80. I run mine at 40 PSI and they ride fine and appear to have full tread contact as can be seen by tread wear.
Might try going to a lower PSI.

Cooper is

And, you're the one with problems after a new tire install

So, enjoy your tires and learn to live with their issues
Brought tires down to 45psi like some said from 65 steering back to normal. Cooper has budget tires but not the stt pros. $1600 for 4 tires they’re high performance off road tires that were better than my bf mt or nittos mt.

Brought tires down to 45psi like some said from 65 steering back to normal. Cooper has budget tires but not the stt pros. $1600 for 4 tires they’re high performance off road tires that were better than my bf mt or nittos mt.
Yep, and Cooper ST MAXX is another good one. I picked out a set of 295/70/18s in the maxx for my sil's 3500 Ram.
The stt pro's are popular around here with the sled deck community. Spin to clean in deep snow, where ATs will pack up.

Back