New tire / any tire vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we agree that many members here (myself included ) who care a little too much about lubricating oils & things mechanical, probably have a character trait that makes us a little obsessive about a few other particular things also ? One such thing with me is tire vibration , especially with new tires. Last year sent my wife to pick up her Accord with a fresh set of Michelins . Asked her how it drove.... Great she says. I drove it couple of days later and the thing shook to beat #%^# and in short wound up replacing a tire. My question is how could you NOT notice that ? The steering wheel should be dead steady except for road vibration at hwy speed but this seems lost on the women in my family. This has occurred with the girls to a lesser degree a time or two also and it's not as if I haven't explained the concept. What do you guys think ? Is this yin/yang ? Male/female ? Similar stories ?

A good Road Force Balance using the Hunter GSP 9700 machine will correct any vibration.. The problem is;

1. Finding a place that has the Hunter GSP 9700 balancer.
2. Finding technicians who know how to use it.

On a former 2002 Continental, my new tires had a vibration. Two tire places in Florida checked and said the balance was right on. Took it to my local Ford dealer who had the Hunter, and the tech saw that the road force was way off with readings as bad as "47" but he was too lazy to do the correction, telling me that it would "take too long" and would "cost too much".

Ok, I was taking a trip up to the Rochester NY area, and I went to visit my favorite tire dealer, Dunn Tire in Henrietta NY. They checked and CORRECTED each tire/wheel and got the Road Force readings below "10" with one as low as "2".
Hunter says anything below "18" is acceptable. Their machine even told the tech which corner of the car to place the wheel. I was in, written up, work done, paid and out the door in an hour and a quarter. Their normal price was $18 a wheel but they saw I was military, so they only charged me $15 a tire. $60 plus tax.
Even though I mainly live in Florida, Dunn Tire, all over Western NY is my dealer of choice and if I need something, I wait until I go there. BTW, now had a very smooth ride.

Google Hunter GSP 9700 Road Force Balance.
Google. Dunn Tire

Originally Posted By: Pops1050
but this seems lost on the women in my family. This has occurred with the girls to a lesser degree a time or two also and it's not as if I haven't explained the concept. What do you guys think ? Is this yin/yang ? Male/female ? Similar stories ?

You want the truth? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!
lol.gif

Seriously, I have 3 daughters...if you find the answer to this question please let me know.
45.gif

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
A good Road Force Balance using the Hunter GSP 9700 machine will correct any vibration.. …………...

Not really. Often a tire will have to be replaced. Tires that have high road force need to be match mounted to a wheel that has high radial runout, in order to get rid of the vibration. If the wheel is of high quality and has only a tiny bit of runout, a successful match mounting will not be possible.

Can we agree that many members here (myself included ) who care a little too much about lubricating oils & things mechanical, probably have a character trait that makes us a little obsessive about a few other particular things also ? One such thing with me is tire vibration , especially with new tires. Last year sent my wife to pick up her Accord with a fresh set of Michelins . Asked her how it drove.... Great she says. I drove it couple of days later and the thing shook to beat #%^# and in short wound up replacing a tire. My question is how could you NOT notice that ? The steering wheel should be dead steady except for road vibration at hwy speed but this seems lost on the women in my family. This has occurred with the girls to a lesser degree a time or two also and it's not as if I haven't explained the concept. What do you guys think ? Is this yin/yang ? Male/female ? Similar stories ?

First, there are vehicles that are pretty sensitive to wheel end vibrations - some of which are balance related (not necessarily tire imbalance). At the same time, there are some vheicles that are pretty insensitive.

The same applies to people. My wife is pretty insensitive to vehicle stuff, but when it comes to noise around the house, she's like a cat with HUGE ears. I can't even have the TV running on the floor above without her complaining. She now wears ear protection when she is reading to filter out the "noise".

And I don't think it is gender related so much as it is interest level. Cars is something BITOG people spend a lot of time involved in, and we tend to be more sensitive to what the vehicle is doing. I know a ton of people who just don't hear vehicle noises and vibrations - some men, some women.

Plus I am also much more forgiving of the problems that I create as opposed to those things others create.

Originally Posted By: Doog
but this seems lost on the women in my family. This has occurred with the girls to a lesser degree a time or two also and it's not as if I haven't explained the concept. What do you guys think ? Is this yin/yang ? Male/female ? Similar stories ?

You want the truth? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!
lol.gif

Seriously, I have 3 daughters...if you find the answer to this question please let me know.
45.gif

I hear you Doog, we love our daughters but hard wired differently for sure !!

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

And I don't think it is gender related so much as it is interest level. Cars is something BITOG people spend a lot of time involved in, and we tend to be more sensitive to what the vehicle is doing. I know a ton of people who just don't hear vehicle noises and vibrations - some men, some women.

Plus I am also much more forgiving of the problems that I create as opposed to those things others create.

CapriRacer you're probably correct, I know guys too that care not a wit about the running condition of their vehicle ( unless it won't go) !
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back