New Smartphone for me? Mobile phone guru question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at getting a GSM phone for t-mobile's frequency(s)
Ting now offers GSM service in addition to their current CDMA service on sprint's network.

Can anyone decipher if the new asus zenfone 2 that's coming in march will fully work on t-mobile's network?

The phone seems pretty hot. they have an amazing 200$ version and a slightly more pricy version with 4gb ram etc.

I cant seem to find out if it works fully on all the t-mobile bands.

http://www.asus.com/Phones/ZenFone_2_ZE551ML/

I've tried google quite a few times and its very inconclusive.

I should have mentioned they have really good coverage at my location and the surrounding 40miles or so, it will also voice roam on AT&T IIRC. I know my current sprint moto g on ting will voice roam on Verizon.
I had an LG optimus G (ls970) but it flaked out. So my 17$ moto G to the rescue.

Sprint also has very good coverage in my area. In the last year it all went LTE except in a few areas, and those areas the 3g has improved immensely due to upgrades.

About the only place I don't have service is in a few local Grocery stores with metal roof, and down by Carrollton Ohio in the woods.(current sprint phone does verizon roam there)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Nice specs on that Asus phone. Too bad it's so huge.

It is large, I'd prefer 4.7"-5.0"

4.7" is best for my work pants but I also have cargo pockets so not a huge deal for the 5.5"

From what I have deciphered it appears to support all the LTE bands, and possibly 4g, but not all the needed 3g bands. Why I wanted someone who knows to look at it and tell me how important it is.

I dont want to have LTE by my house then drop to EDGE/2g 15 miles away because 3g isnt supported.

This is what T-mobile says:

T-Mobile 4G LTE

T-Mobile’s 4G LTE network uses 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz frequencies. You'll need a phone that supports LTE 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz frequencies. Check Tech Specs to view your phone's capabilities.
Once you're registered on our 4G LTE network, you can take advantage of incredibly fast download speeds.

T-Mobile 4G (HSPA+)

With 4G, theoretical maximum download speeds range from 21 Mbps up to 42 Mbps.
Our 4G network operates on the 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz frequencies. We use 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz frequencies to use voice and data services. You'll need a phone that supports 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz to connect to our 4G network.
Once you're registered on our 4G network, you can take advantage of incredibly fast download speeds, and even use voice and data services at the same time.

Mobile 3G (HSPA)

With 3G, theoretical maximum download of 14 Mbps.
Our 3G network operates on the 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz frequencies. You'll need a phone that supports 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz to connect to our 3G network.
On our 3G network, you can use voice and data services simultaneously.

This is what GSM arena says:

Technology GSM / HSPA / LTE
2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2
3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
4G bands LTE 700/800/850/900/1700/1800/1900/2100/2600
(Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 17, 18, 19, 20, 28, 29)
TD-LTE 1900 / 2300 / 2500 / 2600 (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41)

So from that I'm guessing no 3g service because it doesnt support both 1700 and 2100 on 3g?

Last edited:
also GSM arena doesnt use the same terms as tmobile's marketing

calling HSPA+ 4g when its really 3g+

So I'm not positive I'd have anything except "4G LTE" and 2g.

I'm on Ting. I love it. My phones I transferred were Sprint which was the only network they supported until this Feb when they'll turn on GSM. I also have a T-Mobile phone ready for transfer whenever this happens.

In both cases, I used their IMEI checker. I understand you usually cannot obtain the IMEI prior to buying a phone. I also have been with Ting long enough that the newest phones aren't always available at launch on their service... that could be the case with that Zen phone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand

HSPA+ is 4G according to the GSMA and the ITU which set such standards.

T-Mobile uses:

HSPA(+) - 1900, AWS, 850 (Bands 2/4/5)
LTE - 1900, AWS, 850, 700a (Bands 2/4/5/12)
GSM - 1900, 850

Yes, T-Mobile has 1 850Mhz system in the Carolinas.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: Rand

HSPA+ is 4G according to the GSMA and the ITU which set such standards.

T-Mobile uses:

HSPA(+) - 1900, AWS, 850 (Bands 2/4/5)
LTE - 1900, AWS, 850, 700a (Bands 2/4/5/12)
GSM - 1900, 850

Yes, T-Mobile has 1 850Mhz system in the Carolinas.

ok so translate that into how the zenfone 2 would work on tmobile?

I chatted with ting last night.. they said that unlike sprint phones.. any gsm phone that has the right frequency support will be able to be activated instantly on ting... provided its not blacklisted etc.

Quote:
(02:55:29 AM) RM: Hi there, one of the best things about GSM is the freedom of devices. as long as there is no balance or financing owed on a tmobile device, it will be able to make the move to Ting GSM

I'm a member of the closed beta, and have the sim here.. just need a phone.

Last edited:
Im not smart on those specs, but Ill go a bit OT and say that a guy at work just got a galaxy active (4 or 5? I dont recall) and it was pretty awesome. Id look at those if youre looking for a longer term carry phone.

It supports 2100 3G band , should be ok as long as you get the version gsmarena listed specs for. You know manufacturers release different versions of the same phone for different markets.

Change of plan, the good zenfone is going to be 300$+

I snagged a LG G3 D851 for 350$ brand new from a retailer. (369$-5%)
(www.netontherun.com)

Just an fyi dont buy tmobile from shiesty people.. They usually end up blacklisted 3-4-5 months after you buy it from them.. due to the whole payment plan thing.

its also slightly smaller than the zenfone 2 which was pushing the size limits for 1 handed use.

zenfone 2 = 6.00 x 3.04 x 0.43 in

lg g3 = 5.76 x 2.94 x 0.35 in

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back