New Purolator techs

My big concern was the frozen bypass. Honestly I don’t think filters bypass all that often on Toyotas. I find soot in the cans, but rarely does even a spec of spot accumulate in the VVTI filter. If you need it to bypass it’s a critical feature.

It makes sense now. It’s usually a metal, fiber or plastic disc in a bypass. Rubber would seem like a good choice because it seals, but I hadn’t thought about getting pushed through the hole and seizing.
I've installed countless oil filters in my lifetime its scary to never truly know what's going on in the can. I been watching YouTube videos of oil filters that get inspected either new or that have been in service and I read the comments that most people obsess over fiber end caps and silicone adbv's.

First rule of “Filter Fight Club” is no failures-no media tears, no glue falling off all over the place, no closed louvers, no sharp baseplates eating ADBVs, no bypasses stuck closed, no unopened louvers. Purolator has managed to HIT THEM ALL!!

My big concern was the frozen bypass.
That bypass valve would most likey open as the dP increased, even if it seems stuck to some degree.
Honestly I don’t think filters bypass all that often on Toyotas.
Depends on how the car is driven. If the oil is pretty cold and thick, then some high engine RPM could cause the filter to bypass. The key is to keep engine RPM down until the oil warms up pretty good.

After seeing the follow up pics, I'd avoid the tech line, specifically the 14610. Ugly. In contrast, less than a year ago, WhipCityWrencher vid cut open the same application purchased at Amazon, it looked excellent. That one, certainly, worth the $2.40 they charge.

That aside, I'd step up from a jobber tier filter, which topic is.

Last edited:
I've installed countless oil filters in my lifetime its scary to never truly know what's going on in the can. I been watching YouTube videos of oil filters that get inspected either new or that have been in service...........
I happened to notice your comment combined your sig showing you're using the Gonher made Nissan OEM 15208-65FOE. You might find the linked thread interesting as to what I found on the same filter. Also, though other members unaware at the time, their's showed same result/issue. The words "here" in the OP shows the same result. One more difficult to see because photobucket overwrote, but it was clear enough to see before pb did that. Possible design has changed since posted, but not likely I'd think. Had I not cut it open, wouldn't have known. Just a heads up.

I happened to notice your comment combined your sig showing you're using the Gonher made Nissan OEM 15208-65FOE. You might find the linked thread interesting as to what I found on the same filter. Also, though other members unaware at the time, their's showed same result/issue. The words "here" in the OP shows the same result. One more difficult to see because photobucket overwrote, but it was clear enough to see before pb did that. Possible design has changed since posted, but not likely I'd think. Had I not cut it open, wouldn't have known. Just a heads up.
Thank you for that. I will read and digest later

Doesn’t leave a good feeling using the Nissan filter

That's pretty bad! At least it was only a few bucks. It's a gamble sometimes.

Like a line from a famous country song by Kenny Rogers.. “ you got know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em, know when to run. You never count your money, while sitting at the table, there be time time to count when the dealings done”.

Like a line from a famous country song by Kenny Rogers.. “ you got know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em, know when to run. You never count your money, while sitting at the table, there be time time to count when the dealings done”.
You have a point there. Good song by the way. There's another bands song about cards & it goes "Keep your friends close but your enemies closer for real, seems easy but nothing could be so hard, trying to guess life's Dealings whats the next card, I'm surely folding I don't like this hand at all".

Bought few a while back for <3$ at Amazon to use at nephews UBER car 22 Corolla Hybrid every 5k miles, he comes around once a moth when reminder light on dashboard,It seems to be a good filter for his needs.

Back