New Purolator Blue Can Synthethic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Pepboys this past weekend to pick up an oil change special for my girl's Civic and noticed a new line of oil filters from Purolator. These are blue cans with the sandy texture (just like PureONE). The box specifically says it uses synthetic media and good for 10k miles. They're priced at ~$9.99 for majority of the models, roughly $2-3 > PureONE.

Anyone have experiences with them? Looks like Purolator is coming out with 3 lines just like Fram. There's now the white can Classic, the yellow can PureONE, and the blue can Synthetic.

Thoughts?

Upselling people,its called upselling.Its happened with headlight bulbs,wiper blades,spark plugs,mufflers,thermostats....you name it.
They call that price point the "Premium" market.
Whats why the offer winged beam blades as well as $3.00 metal framed cheapies.
$1.50 copper core plugs,$10.00 Iridiums...

Quote:

Ah, I knew a thread must've been made but chouldn't find one. Sorry about that.

Anyone use one yet?

I ordered a PSL15436 for my Ecotec but the construction on it was so [censored]-poor I sent it back. It looked like it had been assembled by a little kid. Awful.

I went to NAPA and got a Platinum 47082 instead. The construction on it was amazing. I swear I heard angels singing when I opened the box and saw it.

I had planned to use a couple of Purolator Synthetics on our cars, just to try them out, but I think I'll hold off for now.

Last edited:
I am running one on my Accord. So far no issues. I bought mine when advance had a oil filter sale. I got it for the same price as a PureOne.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
So, is it a cross branded Bosch something or another since Bosch owns them now?

not that I know of. The puro synthetic has a synthetic media that is wire backed. The closest bosch comparison is the D+, but it does not use a wire mesh backing. I'm not sure of the media construction, perhaps a celluse/syntheic blend?

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
So, is it a cross branded Bosch something or another since Bosch owns them now?

not that I know of. The puro synthetic has a synthetic media that is wire backed. The closest bosch comparison is the D+, but it does not use a wire mesh backing. I'm not sure of the media construction, perhaps a celluse/syntheic blend?

It's getting harder and harder to keep all these variations straight.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
HerrStig said:
The closest bosch comparison is the D+, but it does not use a wire mesh backing. I'm not sure of the media construction, perhaps a celluse/syntheic blend?

Fram Ultra is also wire backed, but has better efficiency. The Extended Guard also have wore back synthetic media but the efficiency wasn't quite as good as the Ultra. Like I said on the other thread... we now have two more very good filter options and I couldn't be happier at their prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back