new Pennzoil jug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used the new Pennzoil 5-quart jug? I got a couple of them at Walmart a little while ago, I am not amused. They have two handles, one top, one side, I guess for "user convenience" but the jug internal venting is poor to nonexistent. When you start pouring they go glug, glug, glug. Then you have to pour really slowly or they go glug, glug, glug, and slop oil all over the place. I sent Pennziol a comment... no response. I've been a Pennzoil user since the '70s but I don't think I'll buy oil in these jugs again.

05064%20Large%20Funnel.jpg

Have the same problem with the Maxlife 5 quart jugs from Walmart.

Your not going to buy the oil you like because of the plastic jug it comes in... That should be the least of your worries.

Yes, I have heard of a "funnel" and I do know how to use them. I generally use a cut-down plastic quart bottle to funnel the oil into the motor. It's easier and less messy than a big red (or other color) funnel. Plus, when you're done with the cut-down quart bottle, it wipes out clean (no residue like in the narrow neck of a funnel), then you re-cap it and it stays clean.

If I don't buy an oil because of the jug a company puts it in, it's not my worry, but it should be the company's worry. Somebody at the company decided to change the jug. Somebody at the company (or a contractor) designed the jug. Did somebody at the company actually try the jug before they rolled it out into production? I bet a lot of money was invested into tooling, fill equipment, packaging, marketing, etc, there's a comitment there... all on a jug that goes glug, glug, glug. I guess that's "improvement".

Hey, I'm not worried. Maybe I overanalize things, it's just my leisure time activity (while changing my own oil).

Last edited:
Drew99GT,

I've got that exact same funnel! Got mine at Target for $1. Could very well be the best 1 dollar investment I've ever made.
55.gif

Take a nail or other pointed object and poke a hole at the top opposite of where you pour. That will allow air in and may help the problem.

Quote:
I've been a Pennzoil user since the '70s

Well then ...wax and sludge and the whole mess thing shouldn't be all that alien to you then.
21.gif

27.gif
LOL.gif

If your only using the oil in a passenger car, that never really see's any ultra severe usage, you might as well buy a motor oil based on convenience of the pouring jug.

I use a 2 quart plastic container from walmarts. The container is marked off at .25, .5, .75, 1, & 2 quart as well as litres. I pour from the 5 quart jug into the container, then into a funnel-never spill a drop again. My car needs 5.5 quarts so I should measure, rather than pour while guessing the final 1/2 quart. I think the container was $1.49 and was made for ice tea, water or ?

I don't like the new style jugs because they're slightly wider than the old ones, which means they don't slide in the oil rack at Autozone as nicely. They're always getting stuck in the back, then I have to grab the hook and drag them forward.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
I've been a Pennzoil user since the '70s

Well then ...wax and sludge and the whole mess thing shouldn't be all that alien to you then.
21.gif

27.gif
LOL.gif

Now Gary. :no-no:
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Drew99GT,

I've got that exact same funnel! Got mine at Target for $1. Could very well be the best 1 dollar investment I've ever made.
55.gif

Here's the funnel I use:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BODTS0/ref=nosim/

They advertise it as a "radiator funnel" these days, but when I bought it, the label said "Wide Mouth Funnel" and it works great. I used to use one of the more narrow funnels but found you had to constantly wait for the oil to flow through it because it would get backed up in the narrow tube :)

I've found the shorty wide mouth is great for oil fillers that have a baffle in them. No other funnel will sit at an acceptable angle. Fine if you're doing individual quarts and have to worry about aim ..but if you're handling a gallon jug with one hand/arm and are at any type of "reach"
21.gif
You eventually get a good selection of them after a few different vehicles.

Quote:
Now Gary.
31.gif
grin2.gif

Sorry
blush.gif
I couldn't resist.

There's supposed to be a passage connecting the inside of the handle to a little hole near the mouth, and the hole at the other end of the handle to let the air into the inside of the jug. Maybe they made a bad batch of jugs, and you got one. Were they on clearance?

Originally Posted By: blueiedgod
Even with regular 1 qt. jugs most people pour it from the wrong side. Try pouring it a different way.

I've seen visual aids on the quart bottles showing you to pour it a certain way when the spout is biased to one side ..like some are. I can't call it intuitive or counter intuitive for the very reason that not all quart bottles are constructed the same ..and, last I checked, I didn't miss the "principles of oil bottle pouring characteristics 101" in my life skills classes.

I guess I would have to call it counter intuitive to keep the spout further away from the target site ...which is what the visual aids depict on those bottles that have them. Add 4-5 more inches of fudge factor
21.gif

Antifreeze was always a side-tip deal ..but rad caps tend to promote that action ..or rather ..enable it. Can't say that for oil filler locations.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: blueiedgod
Even with regular 1 qt. jugs most people pour it from the wrong side. Try pouring it a different way.

I've seen visual aids on the quart bottles showing you to pour it a certain way when the spout is biased to one side ..like some are. I can't call it intuitive or counter intuitive for the very reason that not all quart bottles are constructed the same ..and, last I checked, I didn't miss the "principles of oil bottle pouring characteristics 101" in my life skills classes.

I guess I would have to call it counter intuitive to keep the spout further away from the target site ...which is what the visual aids depict on those bottles that have them. Add 4-5 more inches of fudge factor
21.gif

Antifreeze was always a side-tip deal ..but rad caps tend to promote that action ..or rather ..enable it. Can't say that for oil filler locations.

I just switched from Mobil 1 to Pennzoil Platinum, and the necks on PP are much narrower than Mabil 1. I just stick the bottle into the fill hole and let her drain.

But, yes, with Mobil 1, you have to position the bottle with the neck away from the fill hole, this way air can enter the bottle and avoid the "glug, glug" effect.

I have not seen the 5 qt jugs of PP, but would assume the same principle applies there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back