NEW Home CentraL AC quote really Pricey!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheeers to you for asking WTH? Most just pay without question and get suckered. 4 tons may be a bit much, as latent heat removal is very important in that region. Oversizing results in more costs and may not run long enough to remove the significant amount of humidity. I ran my own load calculation when I designed and installed a new duct system. Mine's a bit high now due to the energy upgrades I've down over the years. I have 3 tons for 1456 sqr. ft.

Caveat Emptor! You have to really look HVAC salesmen in the eye when dealing with them. You're crunching numbers so you're well ahead of the clueless pack. Drive a hard bargain. Paying for the necessary, competent labor is one thing and money well spent. Paying for exhorbitant (sp?) markup on common components is just nuts.

You also have to watch out for service guys who are on a sales commission and try to scare you when dealing with older units. Been there. Done that. Studied HVAC fundamentals and it's not rocket science.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Need to replace the split system in my moms 2100 sqft condo in Ft Myers; we've been band-aiding it for years and its time to go.

It's a 3.5 or 4 ton system (~40ooo btuh) and im getting quotes of over 6 grand to do this. I see the wholesale cost of the unit(s)** is around 2700- shipped and I added 700 for labour and 500 misc and 25% markup to the company and I don't get to 6grand. What am I missing?

Looking at a bottom of the line 13 seer Rheem/RUUD split system 4 tons (from AC wholesalers).

Thanks for any insight.

** air handler evaporator with 10kw heat and condenser + cheapie prog controller

Ken

There is a tremendous amount of overhead for a business like that-your 25% markup figure is laughable. HVAC tech wages are high, equipment is expensive, insurance/taxes are expensive, and overhead is expensive. You have a couple of choices. Either find yourself very small, independent contractor who will work on the cheap and hope that he's not a fly by night operation, learn to do the work yourself, or understand that most contractors are in business to make a profit and will charge what the market will bear.

You also need to understand that in many businesses, cost of goods is around 1/3 of the total price you'll be charged. If I sell a bottle of wine for $12, that bottle of wine cost about $4 in raw materials to produce. 1/2 of the remaining 2/3 (or $4 in my bottle of wine example) goes to overhead such as electricity, wages, taxes and insurance. The remaining $4 goes back to the business as profit. When I sell a bottle of wine at a discount my raw materials costs and overhead don't change, the only thing I do is reduce the amount of profit that I make.

If you come in and want to purchase one bottle of wine I'm not going to discount it at all. If you purchase 50 cases then I'll take a somewhat smaller profit and make it up in volume. Same with an HVAC contractor-small, one off jobs always have higher profit margins than bidding new construction where the HVAC crew can knock out 3 new houses in a row every day. It costs the company more to do your one off job than it does to do production work in a new construction development, even if they use identical equipment. Therefore you get charged more.

To turn a profit you have to have ____ % markup.

That's why HVAC, plumbers, roofers, electricians, ...etc... charge the prices they charge.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Need to replace the split system in my moms 2100 sqft condo in Ft Myers; we've been band-aiding it for years and its time to go.

It's a 3.5 or 4 ton system (~40ooo btuh) and im getting quotes of over 6 grand to do this. I see the wholesale cost of the unit(s)** is around 2700- shipped and I added 700 for labour and 500 misc and 25% markup to the company and I don't get to 6grand. What am I missing?

Looking at a bottom of the line 13 seer Rheem/RUUD split system 4 tons (from AC wholesalers).

Thanks for any insight.

** air handler evaporator with 10kw heat and condenser + cheapie prog controller

Ken

There is a tremendous amount of overhead for a business like that-your 25% markup figure is laughable. HVAC tech wages are high, equipment is expensive, insurance/taxes are expensive, and overhead is expensive. You have a couple of choices. Either find yourself very small, independent contractor who will work on the cheap and hope that he's not a fly by night operation, learn to do the work yourself, or understand that most contractors are in business to make a profit and will charge what the market will bear.

You also need to understand that in many businesses, cost of goods is around 1/3 of the total price you'll be charged. If I sell a bottle of wine for $12, that bottle of wine cost about $4 in raw materials to produce. 1/2 of the remaining 2/3 (or $4 in my bottle of wine example) goes to overhead such as electricity, wages, taxes and insurance. The remaining $4 goes back to the business as profit. When I sell a bottle of wine at a discount my raw materials costs and overhead don't change, the only thing I do is reduce the amount of profit that I make.

If you come in and want to purchase one bottle of wine I'm not going to discount it at all. If you purchase 50 cases then I'll take a somewhat smaller profit and make it up in volume. Same with an HVAC contractor-small, one off jobs always have higher profit margins than bidding new construction where the HVAC crew can knock out 3 new houses in a row every day. It costs the company more to do your one off job than it does to do production work in a new construction development, even if they use identical equipment. Therefore you get charged more.

I don't see where the overhead for an HVAC business is that high. They have no storefront, little inventory and the tools to do the job are pretty basic. No accounts receivable for residential customers...I had a guy come out yesterday to clean my windows and do some pressure washing. I can't his overhead being much different than an HVAC business.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Thanks for any insight.

Ken

I don't see where the overhead for an HVAC business is that high. They have no storefront, little inventory and the tools to do the job are pretty basic. No accounts receivable for residential customers...I had a guy come out yesterday to clean my windows and do some pressure washing. I can't his overhead being much different than an HVAC business.

I agree. There's just not that much extra overhead or training that makes HVAC worth 2-4x more per hour than other trades. I'd argue in fact that if anything, HVAC should be about the same burdened man hour rate as auto repair, since a good auto shop needs lots of training, specialized tools, hazmat fees, refrigeration equipment and epa requirements. If the HVAC compang had given me a price close to what I pay per hour for their install, I might have hired them to do mine. Instead I bought all the tools and made out way ahead.

My experience had been that most HVAC carry no inventory at all. They come in, charge for the visit, order the part, then come back and charge for another visit and then charge for the part and labor etc. They never have most of the stuff on their van.

Mum is 96. If you are not planning on keeping that place I think cheapest quote would work out fine for both you and I.

Glad your mum has lived such a long life and is solo still. That is great!

I've had success using a one man, private contractor and purchasing the units myself.

I agree that $2700 seems very high for 4 ton unit.

A quick look on eBay shows contractor brand compressor units for $1200-$1400. And $2000 for everything. Installation is less than a days work. And many units come pre charged, so refrigerant is included.

Last edited:
4 ton unit sounds right for the square footage you have, price seems a little high for a straight cool unit. I'd consider calling smaller companies, they tend to give better prices.

I have been an installer and sales person for HVAC units. Prices range here in Tennessee at about 1200 bucks per ton to 1600 dollars a ton installed for a split system( indoor unit blower coil and outdoor condensing section. You will pay more for a high efficiency unit,Note- buy the highest Seer rating you can afford, it will reduce running cost. Seer stands for Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio. Sort of like a carburetor engine vs a fuel injected engine, get the highest Seer rating you can afford...

Yes todays models are more, freon is out of sight and some units run at 500+ psi on the compressor side. Older units were about 200 psi, things have change. A unit in 1999 for complete install including ductwork was about a 1100 dollars a ton, those days are gone....IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
My experience had been that most HVAC carry no inventory at all. They come in, charge for the visit, order the part, then come back and charge for another visit and then charge for the part and labor etc. They never have most of the stuff on their van.
You cannot carry all that stuff, way to many units and 100s of circuit boards to boot. The days of mechanical relays where we could get you running are over. Its all circuit boards and blinking lights, change the board and you ready to go if that is the problem. In most size towns there are 3 parts houses and most have what I needed. I wish we could have carried the parts, but you would need a 18 wheeler to do so.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: Al
Too large a unit in my opinion. Contractors size units so big that the place will be overcooled. This avoids callbacks. Problem is larger units do not dehumitify very well. They also cycle off and on to much and they cost more. 2.5 tons is all lthe larger I would go.

I have half that amount in window units for my 1500 square house and that is enough.

I agree! My house has a furnace that's at least 2 sizes too big.

If you live in Florida, take your sq. footage of your home and divide by 500 sq ft per ton and your answer is the tonnage you need to cool it. That is what I used in Florida working, so a 2400 sq ft house would be rounded up to a 5 ton system,,it will work. If your home is 2 story, Please put in two separate units, you will be happy, do not let someone talk you into one unit on a two story home,,you will be dis-appointed,,trust me..

Thanks for any insight.

Ken
The reason you do not get to 6 grand is the markup for the install and materials.In the Hvac industry they double the the price of the cost of the equipment and add labor for 2 installers for the equipment change out only. No they are not getting rich if it is a Mom and Pop company. By the way for that 4 ton unit ,13 seer Rudd is a good deal. I have one and I am a former sales/installer in HVAC. It is never easy to do change outs and most of these jobs are labor intensive, trust me, there is no such thing as an easy install most of the time.

There were a bunch of small parts that they provided when they installed mine that I am sure add up - refrigerant, they replaced the disconnect on the outside of the house for the AC unit, wiring and liquid-tite from the disconnect to the AC, a new overflow pan for the furnace and associated PVC drain, a float switch that turns off the unit if water accumulates, a new gas flex line, a new exhaust for the furnace, plus I am sure I am missing a bunch of things.
This is so true, been there and have done these installs.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Thanks for any insight.

Ken

I agree. There's just not that much extra overhead or training that makes HVAC worth 2-4x more per hour than other trades. I'd argue in fact that if anything, HVAC should be about the same burdened man hour rate as auto repair, since a good auto shop needs lots of training, specialized tools, hazmat fees, refrigeration equipment and epa requirements. If the HVAC compang had given me a price close to what I pay per hour for their install, I might have hired them to do mine. Instead I bought all the tools and made out way ahead.

It's clear that neither of you have ever owned your own business and are clueless to the costs involved. JHZR2, HVAC companies also have specialized tools, lots of training, hazmat fees and EPA requirements. You also didn't need to pay for your labor, medical insurance, 401K benefits, federal taxes, state and local taxes, FICA, Medicare, and social security taxes. You also didn't have to keep a vehicle on the road and stocked with parts, and your time spent ordering and receiving parts and equipment was free. You didn't have to pay an office staff, don't have building overhead to pay for, don't have property taxes to adjust for.

So by doing it yourself you did indeed save some money. However it's clear that the original poster isn't able/willing to do the job himself, and like you is ignorant about how much it takes to run a business.

The least costly way to get skilled work done is to buy the hardware yourself and have a one man band type guy do the installation.
This'll either be a guy working out of his own van with minimal overhead or a guy employed by someone else doing side work.
No contractor is any better than the techs he employs, so these guys are usually as competent as anyone a contractor might send.
For that matter, the contractor might be subbing all of his work to guys like these.
This might be a little hard to arrange in your case, since you live in the Northeast and the subject job is in the Southeast.

with the new R410A refrigerant, I had an AC tech scare me to get a new system. I have a Trane unit from 2001 upstairs. To him, it's old and it needs to be replaced. He was too lazy to look for the leak, he just recharged the system and left. The leak was found by a different AC tech in the pipe going into the home. He used a propane torch to close the leak. I haven't had a problem since, it was two years ago. so you have to be on the lookout for the upsale to change over. It's even on their work orders "have you asked for the new R-410A refrigerant?"

Last edited:

It's clear that neither of you have ever owned your own business and are clueless to the costs involved. JHZR2, HVAC companies also have specialized tools, lots of training, hazmat fees and EPA requirements. You also didn't need to pay for your labor, medical insurance, 401K benefits, federal taxes, state and local taxes, FICA, Medicare, and social security taxes. You also didn't have to keep a vehicle on the road and stocked with parts, and your time spent ordering and receiving parts and equipment was free. You didn't have to pay an office staff, don't have building overhead to pay for, don't have property taxes to adjust for.

So by doing it yourself you did indeed save some money. However it's clear that the original poster isn't able/willing to do the job himself, and like you is ignorant about how much it takes to run a business.

I am well aware of the costs associated with running a business, and what a P&L looks like for a service business. Many of the costs you list transfer to any business, and I am still not buying that an HVAC business has any higher overhead than other service related businesses.

I am well aware of the costs associated with running a business, and what a P&L looks like for a service business. Many of the costs you list transfer to any business, and I am still not buying that an HVAC business has any higher overhead than other service related businesses.

In case you haven't noticed, the costs associated for every business have risen over the last few years. And businesses do have an obligation to make a profit, and the owners who took the risk deserve the reward. While you may be "aware" of the costs, my guess is that you've never successfully run any sort of real business that involved meeting a payroll or having employees that depend on your business to be profitable.

And to top it off, a service related business owner has to constantly deal with people who think they know more about the business than they do. That alone should be worth a substantial price increase.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
with the new R410A refrigerant, I had an AC tech scare me to get a new system. I have a Trane unit from 2001 upstairs. To him, it's old and it needs to be replaced. He was too lazy to look for the leak, he just recharged the system and left. The leak was found by a different AC tech in the pipe going into the home. He used a propane torch to close the leak. I haven't had a problem since, it was two years ago. so you have to be on the lookout for the upsale to change over. It's even on their work orders "have you asked for the new R-410A refrigerant?"

Bingo! I'm all to familiar with this scare tactic! My system is from 1990. I needed a little R22 as I noted bubbles in the sight glass. He gave me the full monty "..we have to report your system to the EPA, They'll be in touch..Your system contains a dangerous, toxic substance. You need to upgrade. Your system probably has moisture in it now. It's going to corrode and leak out all that 'dangerous, toxic' substance..." His definition of upgrade was $3000/ton. No doubt he was on a sales commission as well. In return, I gave him the full engineers treatment. Asked him all sorts of technical questions, told him he was full of bravo sierra. I'm not the fool, you are attempting to scare me with nonsensense.

No doubt this guy plays everyone for a fool and an idiot. What a shyster. Turns out the formerly family owned HVAC business had sold out to one of those 'conglomerates' who'd been vacuuming up these little family business', but kept their name.

$3000/ton? That's insane! I wonder how many they've sucked with that? BTW, it's easy to get a high SEER system; You simply oversize the evap coil, if I recall correctly. Another thing, SEER isn't everything when you have a significant latent heat load. Just because a HVAC system works well in Phoenix doesn't mean it'll work as well along the Gulf Coast. There's a difference between sensible & latent heat. Think about it.

Anyone who's up on their thermodynamics could have a lot of fun with one of these idiots attempting to take advantage of them or their family members. It's high time the crooks were put in their place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back